Re: [coldwarcomms] Doomsday Bunkers Make a Comeback

  • Sam Etler
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3 11:22 AM
      Well my lame attempt at sarcasm about AT&T clearly failed. Next time
      I'll use the appropriate <sarcasm> tags.

      You assume I wasn't "interested" in the previous discussions because I
      refrained from adding to the noise level by not saying anything. I
      "avoided" the previous discussion because I had nothing to contribute.
      I did find it interesting however. And had the California Report not
      dragged their feet in producing that radio spot perhaps I would have
      been able to post it in the previous discussions.

      I'm actually genuinely curious here. Yes, the topic has been
      discussed. Is the topic closed? What was so wrong about posting a
      link to something related to it that was released yesterday?

      sam

    • Mike Cowen
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3 1:54 PM
        Sam, I apologize if I misinterpreted your
        comments. The topic is still open, and any NEW
        info is welcome. Most of us are wondering if the
        guy (Robert Vicino) will get enough takers to
        actually begin operation before that Mayan clock needs winding. :-)

        Yes, I concluded you hadn't followed the previous
        discussions based on your use of the English
        language. You only mentioned "California Report"
        *today* (though I don't know what it is), and
        there was NO link in your original post. The way
        it was phrased came across much more like "I just
        heard about this bunker thing for the first
        time. Does anybody know anything about it?" vs.
        something like "Now they're promoting that
        doomsday bunker on the radio. I'm in the
        (location) vicinity, and heard this (local /
        network) (news item / commercial). They were
        promoting the (same / different [list]) features
        compared to their previous methods we've
        discussed". The second version implies a prior
        knowledge and interest of the subject while
        clearly adding something new to the
        discussion. Your original post added the words
        "radio" and "today", and little else. You asked
        "Do we know the site?". Yes, and had you
        followed the May discussions under the thread
        "Barstow AT&T Bunker resurfaces in the news"
        you'd already know we thoroughly hashed out all
        the possibilities and eliminated all but Baker,
        especially with William Miller (thanks!) locating
        the tax records of the site. Here is a link to
        Baker with the crosshairs on the entry portal:
        http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=35.134715&lon=-116.214252&z=17.3&r=0&src=msl

        You've posted some great stuff in the past, but
        yesterday's post really missed the target. I'm
        not asking for a literary work of art, but
        perhaps you could add details like the broadcast
        area, the station involved, if it was an ad or a
        news item, any other new info they might have
        included, or even a link. Knowing where and how
        they are promoting this scheme IS adding value to
        the discussion. The previous thread started with
        a local news item in the L.A. Times. I'm in the
        Phoenix area, and while this is supposedly within
        their market area (based on published info), I
        haven't heard any word of it around
        here. Please, DO tell us something new about
        this topic. I'd even be up for info on any other
        similar projects (I know of two, but no details).

        Mike

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 3 3:43 PM
          Point taken about the way I worded the e-mail. I pulled the old
          California trick of assuming a familiarity that of course no one
          outside of California would have. The California Report is a radio
          program that airs on NPR affiliate KQED-FM in the San Francisco Bay
          Area (and other stations I assume).

          I would however like to point out that while perhaps the wording of my
          original post wasn't a dissertation I did in fact include a link to
          the report in question at the end of the original e-mail. I'm sorry
          you missed that. I also never asked if anyone knew the site. I only
          summarized what was in the report itself and went on my way.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3 5:05 PM
            It looks like Yahoo set us up. This is all I got at the time I replied:

            ======
            "I heard this on the radio coming home today. Thought it might be of
            some interest in this group. In short, there's a guy refurbishing a
            number of old AT&T bunkers to sell space inside to people who want a
            place to live out doomsday if it ever comes.

            Do we know the site? It said it was in/near Baker..."
            =====

            Earlier today, your original post with the link
            arrived with the earlier timestamp. Had I seen
            that message in the proper sequence, I certainly
            would have worded things differently.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 7 8:54 AM
              On 7/3/10 9:53 AM, Jim wrote:

              >> What fed it? It had to have good-sized pipes to GSFC and MSFC....

              I looked and while we've discussed Garden City-GSFC-Suitland; I didn't see
              such discussion on Goldstone. I assume NASA insisted on redundant routes.

              > The telemetry could be at one of two rates, 1.6 kilobits/sec (low rate,
              > 1/640 of the subcarrier frequency) and 51.2 kilobits/sec (high rate,
              > 1/20 of the subcarrier frequency).
              >
              > But, at that time, 56kb was a high-speed data channel.

              Indeed. Ma spend big $$$$ on their Data Under Voice sometime after that,
              and it delivered a phenomenal coast-to-coast DS-1 channel, yes, a full
              1.544 MB/s.

              As I recall, contemporaneously, the original IMP's [predecessors to the
              backbone routers...] were fed at 50 kb/s, and had an inverse mux & ?8?
              circuits with modems.

              > I used to work around a VSAT data hub. Big impressive, expensive dish.
              > Everyone thought it put out a lot of power, but it only radiated 60
              > watts - 1/10 of what a good microwave does. The 'special' part of it was
              > the precise aiming - not the power.

              What was the power density at the focus.... THAT's what counts. Just like
              our favorite horns....
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 7 11:06 AM
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                > On 7/3/10 9:53 AM, Jim wrote:
                >
                > >> What fed it? It had to have good-sized pipes to GSFC and MSFC....
                >
                > I looked and while we've discussed Garden City-GSFC-Suitland; I didn't see
                > such discussion on Goldstone. I assume NASA insisted on redundant routes.
                >
                > > The telemetry could be at one of two rates, 1.6 kilobits/sec (low rate,
                > > 1/640 of the subcarrier frequency) and 51.2 kilobits/sec (high rate,
                > > 1/20 of the subcarrier frequency).
                > >
                > > But, at that time, 56kb was a high-speed data channel.
                >
                > Indeed. Ma spend big $$$$ on their Data Under Voice sometime after that,
                > and it delivered a phenomenal coast-to-coast DS-1 channel, yes, a full
                > 1.544 MB/s.
                >
                > As I recall, contemporaneously, the original IMP's [predecessors to the
                > backbone routers...] were fed at 50 kb/s, and had an inverse mux & ?8?
                > circuits with modems.

                Here's a couple of pages with some answers:

                http://tmo.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report2/II/IIX.PDF

                http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/38871/1/03-0834.pdf