RE: [coldwarcomms] Re: Electrical grid article

  • charlie Fargis
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
      Was checking Milford. Nah its Milford Square
      do you have the Lat and LOng for the radio which is next door anybody

      To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
      From: radical.bill@...
      Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 19:35:32 +0000
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Electrical grid article

      PJM Interconnect purchased Milford ( AKA Finland, PA ) a few years ago.

      They dehorned and upgraded the site, both above and below ground.

      This is their backup site in case of a disasester.

      The NY Power ISO has a simillar setup here in the Capital Region of NYS.

      I used to live 3 miles from the Milford site.

      I was, and still is, an amazing site, in the middle of nowhere.

      If anyone has pictures of the site now, please post them.

      If I ever get down that way again I will take some.

      I know the town had several stories in the local, Quakertown, PA paper about the site when it was being sold.

      The neighbors remembered the AT&T days in the 80's when the power would go out, very often, and the backup turbine would kick on and the fumes from the diesel could be smelled all around the area.

      One of the agreements made was that they would not use diesel, so they must have upgrade the generators to natural gas.

      If anyone has any more news, please post.

      Thanks

      Bill

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
        On 7/2/10 7:27 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

        > the barn like building covers the hatch as it were

        This barn????

        <http://tinyurl.com/nothebatcave>
      • charlie Fargis
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
          nah thatsa a cell site in a can almost across the street.
          You are close.
          move left. Building is much larger

          To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
          From: wb8foz@...
          Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:08:17 -0400
          Subject: Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Electrical grid article

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
            what happened?
            The first time I clicked on the tiny URL it went to the cell building
            the next time it hit it spot on. ?????
            badda bing ;>)}

          • roger.hendrixson
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
              Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

              > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
              >
              > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
              >
              > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
              > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
              > spokesman.
              > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
              > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
              > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
              > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
              > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
              > center."
              >
              > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
              >
              > sam

            • roger.hendrixson
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

                > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                >
                > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                >
                > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                > spokesman.
                > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                > center."
                >
                > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                >
                > sam

              • ocsrc
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                  Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.

                  Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.

                  Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.

                  Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.

                  Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.

                  It is on the right, you can't miss it.

                  If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.

                  High Security at this site now.

                  I would call before going there.

                  I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
                  >
                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                  > >
                  > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                  > >
                  > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                  > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                  > > spokesman.
                  > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                  > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                  > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                  > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                  > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                  > > center."
                  > >
                  > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                  > >
                  > > sam

                • widebandit
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                    More like 2-miles S on Old Plains from the 663....waw...

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ocsrc" <radical.bill@...> wrote:

                    > Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.
                    >
                    > Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.
                    >
                    > Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.
                    >
                    > Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.
                    >
                    > Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.
                    >
                    > It is on the right, you can't miss it.
                    >
                    > If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.
                    >
                    > High Security at this site now.
                    >
                    > I would call before going there.
                    >
                    > I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.
                    >

                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
                    > >
                    > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                    > > >
                    > > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                    > > >
                    > > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                    > > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                    > > > spokesman.
                    > > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                    > > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                    > > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                    > > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                    > > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                    > > > center."
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                    > > >
                    > > > sam

                  • widebandit
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                      Cedar Brook 1 and 2 are in New Jersey, SE of Camden.

                      <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qmqrjp8rqjv0&scene=17785949&lvl=1&sty=b>

                      ...waw...