RE: [coldwarcomms] Nike Missiles & Sites

  • Drongowski, Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
      Hi Albert --

      Good point about test ban verification. Space-based systems are
      good for detecting atmospheric tests, although the field of view
      is limited. I'm thinking about our inability to draw conclusions
      about a possible test in the south Atlantic X years ago. Seismic
      monitoring is still one of the chief means of detecting/verifying
      underground tests.

      Gotta split one hair though. The technology to warn of missile
      launches is different than NUDET. NUDET flies as a separate "package"
      on DSP and other satellites. It is not the same as the DSP sensor.
      DSP has to pick out relatively faint IR signatures from some
      nasty IR noise. Surely a NUDET would be incredibly bright (humor
      intended!) and would blind the DSP sensor.

      Take care -- pj