Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Nice old article about original NORAD Combat Ops Center

  • Tim Moriarty
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2 8:40 AM
      > Y'know, that's funny to me - I wouldn't look at a CONUS location as a forward OL for PACOM's ABNCP... I'd be looking westward.

      > Just goes to show whay I wasn never the PCJ3/5.

      :-)

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 3 12:03 PM
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "buchcty" <rickcstone@...> wrote:

        > The GEP was moved from March to Strawberry Peak to give better airborne coverage. March sits in quite a hole.
        >
        > The EC-135s that sat alert had nothing to do with 15th AF at least not while there was a GEP there. March was a forward operating location for Blue Eagle (CINCPACs ABNCP).
        >
        > Stoney

        Thanks for the update;assuming the March GEP was USAF owned & operated, was it fixed in a building, or one of the transportable trailers/vans like the Blue Eagle GEP's in the Western Pacific/far east?

        I've also found a couple more things about the March GEP: it was on another circuit I believe to have been NEACP, and on this one Strawberry Peak was not a terminal; and March was on wide band(secure voice) A/G circuit,along with Strawberry Peak.

        March was designated MRCHAB CA and MARCH ABCA on pre CLLI records; also shown as Moreno CA( the LSO[local serving office])on some circuits.
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2012

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "buchcty" <rickcstone@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The GEP was moved from March to Strawberry Peak to give better airborne coverage. March sits in quite a hole.
          > >
          > > The EC-135s that sat alert had nothing to do with 15th AF at least not while there was a GEP there. March was a forward operating location for Blue Eagle (CINCPACs ABNCP).
          > >
          > > Stoney
          >
          > Thanks for the update;assuming the March GEP was USAF owned & operated, was it fixed in a building, or one of the transportable trailers/vans like the Blue Eagle GEP's in the Western Pacific/far east?
          >
          > I've also found a couple more things about the March GEP: it was on another circuit I believe to have been NEACP, and on this one Strawberry Peak was not a terminal; and March was on wide band(secure voice) A/G circuit,along with Strawberry Peak.
          >
          > March was designated MRCHAB CA and MARCH ABCA on pre CLLI records; also shown as Moreno CA( the LSO[local serving office])on some circuits.

          With no further response from Stoney, and looking further into this, I have concluded(without documentation so far)that March AFB may have had a transportable GEP trailer early on, then became a landline terminal on the GEP circuits(using umbilical cords to the A/C on the ground);with Strawberry Peak becoming the RF connection point in that area.

          Other locations on GEP multipoint air-ground ciruits that appear to have not had UHF mux connectivity but rather terminated in A. phones and/or switch, or B. the aircraft on the ground via umbilical cables.

          Examples of A: the Project offices(most likly for access to the most survivable Autovon switches), Site R, Pentagon,Cinclant HQ Norfolk,Little Creek Naval Base Va; Rockdale Ga,Monrovia Md,Drainsville Va,Chesterfield Ma.(These last four may have been primarily for Autovon/PSN access)

          Examples of B:Andrews AFB,Langley AFB,Homestead AFB,March AFB,NAS Pensacola Fl; Flagstaff Az(apparently was a GEP,then a landline connection, or vice versa).

          A couple of wild cards are: Pennsuco Fl(overseas/high seas connection?)and Florida City Fl(doubt it was for Cuba access:)