Re: Nice old article about original NORAD Combat Ops Center

  • buchcty
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2010
      The GEP was moved from March to Strawberry Peak to give better airborne coverage. March sits in quite a hole.

      The EC-135s that sat alert had nothing to do with 15th AF at least not while there was a GEP there. March was a forward operating location for Blue Eagle (CINCPACs ABNCP).

      Stoney

      > > I think March was a popular NEACP OL when Reagan was in California,
      > > with AF1 usually flying in to NAS Pt Mugu. Plus it would have often had
      > > a PACCS plane for 15th AF. I dunno what sort of LOS there was between
      > > March & Strawberry Peak, in terms of whether there would have been a GEP
      > > right there at March. Obviously they could plug in the land-lines, but
      > > even at Offutt AFB the aircraft often burn on MUX while sitting on the
      > > ground.
      >

      > Strawberry Peak had a link to San Bernadino & Sanbo(telco nick)was probably the serving test center for March with connectivity to the base, either carrier/cable or a MW shot.

    • Tim Moriarty
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2, 2010
        > Y'know, that's funny to me - I wouldn't look at a CONUS location as a forward OL for PACOM's ABNCP... I'd be looking westward.

        > Just goes to show whay I wasn never the PCJ3/5.

        :-)

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2010
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "buchcty" <rickcstone@...> wrote:

          > The GEP was moved from March to Strawberry Peak to give better airborne coverage. March sits in quite a hole.
          >
          > The EC-135s that sat alert had nothing to do with 15th AF at least not while there was a GEP there. March was a forward operating location for Blue Eagle (CINCPACs ABNCP).
          >
          > Stoney

          Thanks for the update;assuming the March GEP was USAF owned & operated, was it fixed in a building, or one of the transportable trailers/vans like the Blue Eagle GEP's in the Western Pacific/far east?

          I've also found a couple more things about the March GEP: it was on another circuit I believe to have been NEACP, and on this one Strawberry Peak was not a terminal; and March was on wide band(secure voice) A/G circuit,along with Strawberry Peak.

          March was designated MRCHAB CA and MARCH ABCA on pre CLLI records; also shown as Moreno CA( the LSO[local serving office])on some circuits.
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2012

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "buchcty" <rickcstone@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The GEP was moved from March to Strawberry Peak to give better airborne coverage. March sits in quite a hole.
            > >
            > > The EC-135s that sat alert had nothing to do with 15th AF at least not while there was a GEP there. March was a forward operating location for Blue Eagle (CINCPACs ABNCP).
            > >
            > > Stoney
            >
            > Thanks for the update;assuming the March GEP was USAF owned & operated, was it fixed in a building, or one of the transportable trailers/vans like the Blue Eagle GEP's in the Western Pacific/far east?
            >
            > I've also found a couple more things about the March GEP: it was on another circuit I believe to have been NEACP, and on this one Strawberry Peak was not a terminal; and March was on wide band(secure voice) A/G circuit,along with Strawberry Peak.
            >
            > March was designated MRCHAB CA and MARCH ABCA on pre CLLI records; also shown as Moreno CA( the LSO[local serving office])on some circuits.

            With no further response from Stoney, and looking further into this, I have concluded(without documentation so far)that March AFB may have had a transportable GEP trailer early on, then became a landline terminal on the GEP circuits(using umbilical cords to the A/C on the ground);with Strawberry Peak becoming the RF connection point in that area.

            Other locations on GEP multipoint air-ground ciruits that appear to have not had UHF mux connectivity but rather terminated in A. phones and/or switch, or B. the aircraft on the ground via umbilical cables.

            Examples of A: the Project offices(most likly for access to the most survivable Autovon switches), Site R, Pentagon,Cinclant HQ Norfolk,Little Creek Naval Base Va; Rockdale Ga,Monrovia Md,Drainsville Va,Chesterfield Ma.(These last four may have been primarily for Autovon/PSN access)

            Examples of B:Andrews AFB,Langley AFB,Homestead AFB,March AFB,NAS Pensacola Fl; Flagstaff Az(apparently was a GEP,then a landline connection, or vice versa).

            A couple of wild cards are: Pennsuco Fl(overseas/high seas connection?)and Florida City Fl(doubt it was for Cuba access:)