Re: Electrical grid article

  • ocsrc
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
      The bunker is at the alternate site in Rennselear.

      I'm not sure if there is a bunker in Guilderland.

      I applied for a job there once, that's the only reason I know it exists.

      Bill
      Cohoes

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Craig Scott <dredmlm@...> wrote:

      > Hi Bill,
      > The NY Power ISO in Guilderland? I have been inside there but of course no one
      > told me they had a bunker below my feet.
      > Craig
      > Watervliet NY
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Bill Smith
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
        He was probably asked to be quite vague on the location. I know of one utility that moved from a cold war era concrete building to one of the new cheap office park type buildings with their operations center. Hardly a surviveable facility.

        Bill

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
          As I vaguely recall, Flagtown was a Power Feed between Netcong and Cedar Brook on the Boston-Miami L-4. (But it is not midway, and I do not recall the power loop mileage specs for L-4.) About 5 mi SW of Somerville and 2 mi N of Belle Mead Depot.

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

          > Charlie,
          >
          > Been all over the maps, but I can't ID this location.. Any hints?
          >

          > Don't take your organs to heaven,
          > heaven knows we need them down here!
          > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.
          >
          > > -Flagtown(Never used but sold to VRI to store tapes and records), NJ
          > > Use bing maps for this one 564 New centre road, Flagtown, NJ 08821

        • charlie Fargis
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
            Hello Dennis. Did you know Laverne. It was across the street from his old house.
            To find Flagtown VRI, here ya go step by step,

            bing.com
            Hover mouse on "Maps" and select "Get a Birds Eye view of your house"
            In the Search box next to Bing paste in 564 New centre road, Flagtown, NJ 08821
            Click on the orange and white magnifying glass
            2 choices come up. Pick the top one
            the Orange Golf tee is not quite right.
            To See the VRI building do this
            Place mouse over the superimposed Bing on the picture
            Drag that part of the picture to the center of the picture window
            Repeat once more
            the barn like building covers the hatch as it were

            To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
            From: dsandow@...
            Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:09:07 +0000
            Subject: [coldwarcomms] Re: Electrical grid article

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
              sent coordinates direct to your email blake
              its 2 miles from my house or so
              To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
              From: bbowers@...
              Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:28:24 -0500

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                Was checking Milford. Nah its Milford Square
                do you have the Lat and LOng for the radio which is next door anybody

                To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                From: radical.bill@...
                Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 19:35:32 +0000

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                  On 7/2/10 7:27 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

                  > the barn like building covers the hatch as it were

                  This barn????

                  <http://tinyurl.com/nothebatcave>
                • charlie Fargis
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
                    nah thatsa a cell site in a can almost across the street.
                    You are close.
                    move left. Building is much larger

                    To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                    From: wb8foz@...
                    Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:08:17 -0400
                    Subject: Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Electrical grid article

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
                      what happened?
                      The first time I clicked on the tiny URL it went to the cell building
                      the next time it hit it spot on. ?????
                      badda bing ;>)}

                    • roger.hendrixson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                        Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?

                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

                        > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                        >
                        > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                        >
                        > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                        > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                        > spokesman.
                        > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                        > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                        > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                        > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                        > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                        > center."
                        >
                        > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                        >
                        > sam

                      • roger.hendrixson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                          Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?

                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

                          > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                          >
                          > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                          >
                          > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                          > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                          > spokesman.
                          > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                          > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                          > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                          > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                          > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                          > center."
                          >
                          > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                          >
                          > sam

                        • ocsrc
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                            Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.

                            Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.

                            Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.

                            Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.

                            Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.

                            It is on the right, you can't miss it.

                            If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.

                            High Security at this site now.

                            I would call before going there.

                            I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@...> wrote:

                            > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
                            >
                            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                            > >
                            > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                            > >
                            > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                            > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                            > > spokesman.
                            > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                            > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                            > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                            > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                            > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                            > > center."
                            > >
                            > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                            > >
                            > > sam

                          • widebandit
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                              More like 2-miles S on Old Plains from the 663....waw...

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ocsrc" <radical.bill@...> wrote:

                              > Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.
                              >
                              > Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.
                              >
                              > Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.
                              >
                              > Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.
                              >
                              > Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.
                              >
                              > It is on the right, you can't miss it.
                              >
                              > If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.
                              >
                              > High Security at this site now.
                              >
                              > I would call before going there.
                              >
                              > I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.
                              >

                              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
                              > >
                              > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                              > > >
                              > > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                              > > >
                              > > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                              > > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                              > > > spokesman.
                              > > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                              > > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                              > > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                              > > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                              > > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                              > > > center."
                              > > >
                              > > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                              > > >
                              > > > sam

                            • widebandit
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                Cedar Brook 1 and 2 are in New Jersey, SE of Camden.

                                <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qmqrjp8rqjv0&scene=17785949&lvl=1&sty=b>

                                ...waw...