RE: [coldwarcomms] Electrical grid article

  • Bill Luebkemann
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
      I am guessing they are referring to the NE extension of the PA turnpike, which heads up to the mountains.

      From: etler@...
      Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:50:09 -0700
      Subject: [coldwarcomms] Electrical grid article

      http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text

      Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:

      "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.

      Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company

      spokesman.

      Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A

      communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a

      compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,

      built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct

      nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve

      center."

      Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about?

      sam

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
        On 7/1/10 1:12 PM, Bill Luebkemann wrote:

        > I am guessing they are referring to the NE extension of the PA turnpike,
        > which heads up to the mountains.

        Note even 30 years ago the utilities were paranoid about locations of such;
        some misdirection in the story is to be expected.
      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
          Charlie,

          Been all over the maps, but I can't ID this location.. Any hints?

          Don't take your organs to heaven,
          heaven knows we need them down here!

          > -Flagtown(Never used but sold to VRI to store tapes and records), NJ
          > Use bing maps for this one 564 New centre road, Flagtown, NJ 08821
        • ocsrc
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
            PJM Interconnect purchased Milford ( AKA Finland, PA ) a few years ago.

            They dehorned and upgraded the site, both above and below ground.

            This is their backup site in case of a disasester.

            The NY Power ISO has a simillar setup here in the Capital Region of NYS.

            I used to live 3 miles from the Milford site.

            I was, and still is, an amazing site, in the middle of nowhere.

            If anyone has pictures of the site now, please post them.

            If I ever get down that way again I will take some.

            I know the town had several stories in the local, Quakertown, PA paper about the site when it was being sold.

            The neighbors remembered the AT&T days in the 80's when the power would go out, very often, and the backup turbine would kick on and the fumes from the diesel could be smelled all around the area.

            One of the agreements made was that they would not use diesel, so they must have upgrade the generators to natural gas.

            If anyone has any more news, please post.

            Thanks

            Bill

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

            > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
            >
            > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
            >
            > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
            > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
            > spokesman.
            > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
            > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
            > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
            > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
            > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
            > center."
            >
            > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about?
            >
            > sam

          • Craig Scott
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
              Hi Bill,
              The NY Power ISO in Guilderland? I have been inside there but of course no one
              told me they had a bunker below my feet.
              Craig
              Watervliet NY

              ________________________________
              PJM Interconnect purchased Milford ( AKA Finland, PA ) a few years ago.

              They dehorned and upgraded the site, both above and below ground.

              This is their backup site in case of a disasester.

              The NY Power ISO has a simillar setup here in the Capital Region of NYS.

              I used to live 3 miles from the Milford site.

              I was, and still is, an amazing site, in the middle of nowhere.

              If anyone has pictures of the site now, please post them.

              If I ever get down that way again I will take some.

              I know the town had several stories in the local, Quakertown, PA paper about the
              site when it was being sold.

              The neighbors remembered the AT&T days in the 80's when the power would go out,
              very often, and the backup turbine would kick on and the fumes from the diesel
              could be smelled all around the area.

              One of the agreements made was that they would not use diesel, so they must have
              upgrade the generators to natural gas.

              If anyone has any more news, please post.

              Thanks

              Bill

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

              > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
              >
              > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
              >
              > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
              > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
              > spokesman.
              > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
              > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
              > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
              > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
              > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
              > center."
              >
              > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about?
              >
              > sam

            • ocsrc
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                The bunker is at the alternate site in Rennselear.

                I'm not sure if there is a bunker in Guilderland.

                I applied for a job there once, that's the only reason I know it exists.

                Bill
                Cohoes

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Craig Scott <dredmlm@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bill,
                > The NY Power ISO in Guilderland? I have been inside there but of course no one
                > told me they had a bunker below my feet.
                > Craig
                > Watervliet NY
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Bill Smith
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 1, 2010
                  He was probably asked to be quite vague on the location. I know of one utility that moved from a cold war era concrete building to one of the new cheap office park type buildings with their operations center. Hardly a surviveable facility.

                  Bill

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                    As I vaguely recall, Flagtown was a Power Feed between Netcong and Cedar Brook on the Boston-Miami L-4. (But it is not midway, and I do not recall the power loop mileage specs for L-4.) About 5 mi SW of Somerville and 2 mi N of Belle Mead Depot.

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

                    > Charlie,
                    >
                    > Been all over the maps, but I can't ID this location.. Any hints?
                    >

                    > Don't take your organs to heaven,
                    > heaven knows we need them down here!
                    > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.
                    >
                    > > -Flagtown(Never used but sold to VRI to store tapes and records), NJ
                    > > Use bing maps for this one 564 New centre road, Flagtown, NJ 08821

                  • charlie Fargis
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                      Hello Dennis. Did you know Laverne. It was across the street from his old house.
                      To find Flagtown VRI, here ya go step by step,

                      bing.com
                      Hover mouse on "Maps" and select "Get a Birds Eye view of your house"
                      In the Search box next to Bing paste in 564 New centre road, Flagtown, NJ 08821
                      Click on the orange and white magnifying glass
                      2 choices come up. Pick the top one
                      the Orange Golf tee is not quite right.
                      To See the VRI building do this
                      Place mouse over the superimposed Bing on the picture
                      Drag that part of the picture to the center of the picture window
                      Repeat once more
                      the barn like building covers the hatch as it were

                      To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                      From: dsandow@...
                      Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:09:07 +0000

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                        sent coordinates direct to your email blake
                        its 2 miles from my house or so
                        To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bbowers@...
                        Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:28:24 -0500

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                          Was checking Milford. Nah its Milford Square
                          do you have the Lat and LOng for the radio which is next door anybody

                          To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                          From: radical.bill@...
                          Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 19:35:32 +0000

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 2, 2010
                            On 7/2/10 7:27 PM, charlie Fargis wrote:

                            > the barn like building covers the hatch as it were

                            This barn????

                            <http://tinyurl.com/nothebatcave>
                          • charlie Fargis
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
                              nah thatsa a cell site in a can almost across the street.
                              You are close.
                              move left. Building is much larger

                              To: coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                              From: wb8foz@...
                              Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:08:17 -0400
                              Subject: Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Electrical grid article

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 3, 2010
                                what happened?
                                The first time I clicked on the tiny URL it went to the cell building
                                the next time it hit it spot on. ?????
                                badda bing ;>)}

                              • roger.hendrixson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                  Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?

                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

                                  > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                                  >
                                  > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                                  >
                                  > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                                  > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                                  > spokesman.
                                  > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                                  > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                                  > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                                  > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                                  > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                                  > center."
                                  >
                                  > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                                  >
                                  > sam

                                • roger.hendrixson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                    Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?

                                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@...> wrote:

                                    > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                                    >
                                    > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                                    >
                                    > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                                    > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                                    > spokesman.
                                    > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                                    > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                                    > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                                    > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                                    > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                                    > center."
                                    >
                                    > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                                    >
                                    > sam

                                  • ocsrc
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                      Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.

                                      Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.

                                      Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.

                                      Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.

                                      Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.

                                      It is on the right, you can't miss it.

                                      If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.

                                      High Security at this site now.

                                      I would call before going there.

                                      I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.

                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@...> wrote:

                                      > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
                                      >
                                      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                                      > >
                                      > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                                      > >
                                      > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                                      > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                                      > > spokesman.
                                      > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                                      > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                                      > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                                      > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                                      > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                                      > > center."
                                      > >
                                      > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                                      > >
                                      > > sam

                                    • widebandit
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                        More like 2-miles S on Old Plains from the 663....waw...

                                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ocsrc" <radical.bill@...> wrote:

                                        > Exit 32 off 476 ( used to be PA 9, or the Northeast Extension as the locals called it.
                                        >
                                        > Bear right at the light off the exit on 663 South towards Pennsburg.
                                        >
                                        > Over the bridge, thorugh the light at the Spinnerstown Rd intersection.
                                        >
                                        > Left onto Old Plains Road. If you reach the traffic light at Kings Highway you missed the turn.
                                        >
                                        > Follow Old Plains Rd about 3/4 mile.
                                        >
                                        > It is on the right, you can't miss it.
                                        >
                                        > If you reach the end of Old Plains Rd, you went too far.
                                        >
                                        > High Security at this site now.
                                        >
                                        > I would call before going there.
                                        >
                                        > I went there when it was owned by ATC and in the process of being sold it only took 5 minutes for state police to arrive.
                                        >

                                        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "roger.hendrixson" <roger.hendrixson@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Yes, what exit off the Turnpike....you recall AT&T Cedarbrook ?
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/07/power-grid/achenbach-text
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Not really coldwarcomms exactly though I'm curious about one little snippit:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > "One of PJM's new control centers is an hour north of Philadelphia.
                                        > > > Last February I went to visit it with Ray E. Dotter, a company
                                        > > > spokesman.
                                        > > > Dotter pulled off the turnpike in the middle of nowhere. A
                                        > > > communications tower poked above the treetops. We drove onto a
                                        > > > compound surrounded by a security fence. Soon we were in the bunker,
                                        > > > built by AT&T during the Cold War to withstand anything but a direct
                                        > > > nuclear hit and recently purchased by PJM to serve as its new nerve
                                        > > > center."
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Anyone have thoughts on what site they're talking about
                                        > > >
                                        > > > sam

                                      • widebandit
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 12, 2010
                                          Cedar Brook 1 and 2 are in New Jersey, SE of Camden.

                                          <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qmqrjp8rqjv0&scene=17785949&lvl=1&sty=b>

                                          ...waw...