Re: Possible L Main Stations

    Message 1 of 47 , May 8, 1999
      Matthew,

      >Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
      >fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
      >"deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
      >mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).

      I'll have to check out some manholes around here. I don't think I've ever
      a regular (round steel top) manhole with the deathstar; the only ones I've
      noticed are the traditional Bell System design. But I haven't paid close
      attention, so I could have missed the newer ones.

      >Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
      >think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
      >Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.

      That one's a bit puzzling. Around here (Washington DC area), small yellow
      Bell System signs with black lettering usually appear to be associated with
      local telco cables, and in fact say "C&P Telephone". This is the first
      time I've seen one mentioning AT&T. However, I have seen larger
      black-on-yellow AT&T signs marking an copper-pair cable route from Mt.
      Weather, and giving a number for AT&T's Finksburg, MD facility. To make
      things more confusing, the repeater huts on this route are simple
      concrete-block structures, and have Bell Atlantic signs on them.

      Based on that limited experience, my speculation would be that the sign
      might be for some type of AT&T cable other than L-carrier. Perhaps the
      West Palm Beach location is a clue - do you know if there is/was a manned
      AT&T facility there?

      ...Albert
      Message 47 of 47 , May 10, 2015
        On 5/10/15 5:04 PM, farrelmb@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

        > Try dissolving back and forth between 2002 and 1962. It looks like the
        > southern most house in 1962 was demolished to build the access road.
        > The building that we're looking at appears to be bigger in 1962 than it
        > does in 2002. It looks like just another house. I wonder if this
        > really was a repeater location.

        No guarantees until someone visits the county land records.

        But I noted the county imagery registration is off between years;
        everything shifts.