Re: [coldwarcomms] HERT(was "Ghost Hollow" Reapers)

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2010
      Didn't want to mention it back in 2006, but now that they're long out
      of there & the info is declassified, the primary forward operating
      location of SAC/STRATCOM HERT, et; al for the at least the early 1980s
      onward was the Cornhusker Army Ammo Plant near Grand Island,
      Nebraska. A secured installation with lots of space for sneaky stuff,
      not to close & not too far from Offutt AFB. I think it was _Nuclear
      Battlefields_ that mentioned HERT would often deploy to NE ARNG's Camp
      Ashland for exercises such as 'Global Shield,' which always provided a
      good opportunity to hear HERT on HF/SSB radio & associated half-hearted
      jamming by opposition forces.

      Although Cornhusker AAP being the primary OL & maintenance depot for
      HERT, CMAH, et al. should have been classified, SAC had an unclassified
      HQ SAC publication abbreviated MASCOT (Missile, Air & Space Career
      Opportunity ___ or something like that) that listed current & future SAC
      officer & enlisted personnel staffing requirements, broken down by
      speciality code & location. You didn't have to be too smart to
      comprehend that the positions required to staff a mysterious SAC
      Operating Location # at Cornhusker AAP would be to operate an alternate
      command post or emergency relocation site -- the HERT/CMAH/MCCC..

      Tim