Article on Long Slot Antennas from the 1946 National Electronics Conference Proceedings

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2010
      As requested by a list member:

      http://coldwar-c4i.net/NEC-1946/Long_Slot_Antennas.pdf

      The author was Andrew Alford, probably best known as the designer of the
      original master FM antenna on the Empire State Building:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Alford

    • Tom Scanlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2010
        Andrew Alford was one of the most brilliant RF antenna engineers IMHO. He also was easy to talk to, meet, and even do business with! In planning for a new TV station in Alpena, Michigan in the early 1970's we were looking for a directional antenna and visited with people from Alford Manufacturing, as I recall with Fred Abel. My questions to Fred resulted in several calls directly from Andrew Alford, who took considerable time to assist us with a design option for our antenna. Although we eventually went with an RCA TF-12BH, decades later we would purchase WGTQ Channel 8 in Sault Ste. Marie, which had been built in 1976 and placed on the air with the Alford antenna that had been removed from Marina Center in downtown Chicago in the early 1970's! Although Dr. Alford had stepped away from active involvement with the company, we were given drawings and calculations for the original WLS-TV antenna. I don't recall if Alford Mfg. had yet been sold at that time.

        Re the WCBS antenna on the Chrysler Building. Although I've been on Empire State's 102nd and subsequent floors several times before the WTC was built, and atop the WTC just months prior to 9/11, I have never been to the Chrysler Building transmitter, although I've looked at the antennas many times thru binoculars. I've often wondered if they're the same original Alford slot antennas; they appear to be the same. Perhaps someone out there on this site knows for sure.

        When the 9/11 tragedy took place, WCBS-TV Channel 2 was able to fire up its ancient Harris TT-25 transmitter and make pictures from the Chrysler building! There was an interesting story about this in Television Engineering shortly after 9/11. BTW I recall Empire and Chrysler transmitter platforms were fed by NY Tel Coax originally, with microwave backup.

        Tom Scanlan