Re: Autovon locations

  • widebandit
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 1, 2010
      Alright, I'll answer this again.

      The 14-edge blinders corrected a side-lobe problem in azimuth for horizontal polarization. They effectively made the antenna 12-20 db less sensitive to signals coming in from 'the corner of its eye' as it were. Mostly used in congested areas, where a horn could 'see' other antennas on parallel or converging routes.

      The 'front porch' blinder corrected a strong downward lobe caused by the weather cover. The smooth and slightly bowed weather cover caused strong back-reflection of the plane wave passing through the aperture. The 15-deg forward tilt of the weather cover effectively produced a 30-degree off-axis reflection back into the antenna which was, in turn, focused to a virtual point about 60-degrees below bore-sight. The lobe would interact with fore-ground objects prone to strong back-scatter or even retro-reflection, like buildings and trees, providing a side-to-side coupling path between Tx-Rx antenna pairs. The porch did not reduce the off-axis lobe but literally reflected it upward and away from the horn aperture.

      Both lobe problems result from the unique geometry of the KS15676. The circular well-shielded aperture of a conical horn-reflector does not exhibit these anomalies.

      Some horns have blinders, some have porches, some have both, some have neither. The use of blinders depended strongly on a horn's local situation....waw...

      Message 74 of 74 , Oct 11, 2013
        >> http://207.74.70.101:8080/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-4602/1965-07-01%20Thu.pdf

        > I'm getting the following error:
        >

        > License Exception: Invalid license
        > A DocuShare license maximum concurrent guests limit was exceeded.

        I found it OK, but note it's newspaper page 3, pdf page 6