Re: Possible L Main Stations

    Message 1 of 47 , May 8, 1999
      Mark,

      >What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
      several lately that
      >are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
      believe there is a
      >second hatch with a lock under them.

      Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
      seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
      it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
      Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.

      Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
      used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
      impractical?

      ...Albert
      Message 47 of 47 , May 10, 2015
        On 5/10/15 5:04 PM, farrelmb@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

        > Try dissolving back and forth between 2002 and 1962. It looks like the
        > southern most house in 1962 was demolished to build the access road.
        > The building that we're looking at appears to be bigger in 1962 than it
        > does in 2002. It looks like just another house. I wonder if this
        > really was a repeater location.

        No guarantees until someone visits the county land records.

        But I noted the county imagery registration is off between years;
        everything shifts.