Re: Possible L Main Stations

    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 1999
      Mark,

      >What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
      several lately that
      >are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
      believe there is a
      >second hatch with a lock under them.

      Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
      seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
      it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
      Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.

      Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
      used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
      impractical?

      ...Albert
    • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 1999
        Albert LaFrance wrote:
        > Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
        > seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
        > it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
        > Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.

        Looks similar to the hut on the Knoxville-Chattanooga L1 route. Some
        research down at the library revealed this cable was put into service in
        1953, and the windows on the hut are of that vintage. It has a gable
        roof, windows on the short sides, and a door on one of the longer sides.

        > Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
        > used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
        > impractical?

        Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
        fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
        "deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
        mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).

        Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
        think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
        Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.
        --
        Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
        Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 1999
          My apologies if the large attachment on my last posting caused any
          inconvenience. I forget that I was replying to a list message; otherwise I
          would have just put the image on my web page. I realize that some lists
          discourage attachments.

          ...Albert
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8, 1999
            Matthew,

            >Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
            >fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
            >"deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
            >mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).

            I'll have to check out some manholes around here. I don't think I've ever
            a regular (round steel top) manhole with the deathstar; the only ones I've
            noticed are the traditional Bell System design. But I haven't paid close
            attention, so I could have missed the newer ones.

            >Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
            >think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
            >Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.

            That one's a bit puzzling. Around here (Washington DC area), small yellow
            Bell System signs with black lettering usually appear to be associated with
            local telco cables, and in fact say "C&P Telephone". This is the first
            time I've seen one mentioning AT&T. However, I have seen larger
            black-on-yellow AT&T signs marking an copper-pair cable route from Mt.
            Weather, and giving a number for AT&T's Finksburg, MD facility. To make
            things more confusing, the repeater huts on this route are simple
            concrete-block structures, and have Bell Atlantic signs on them.

            Based on that limited experience, my speculation would be that the sign
            might be for some type of AT&T cable other than L-carrier. Perhaps the
            West Palm Beach location is a clue - do you know if there is/was a manned
            AT&T facility there?

            ...Albert
          • Mark Foster
            Message 5 of 16 , May 9, 1999
              See new web page on repeater huts at: http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Huts.htm

              I am also looking for photos of unusual repeater huts/facilities. The one
              Albert sent me
              may be for an equalizing hut. They were half way between main stations and
              larger than
              a standard repeater hut. I have yet to find reasoning for why some
              facilities were just
              manholes and some facilities were well build buildings. Local preference I
              suppose.

              At 09:19 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
              >Mark,
              >
              >>What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
              >several lately that
              >>are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
              >believe there is a
              >>second hatch with a lock under them.
              >
              >Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
              >seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
              >it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
              >Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.
              >
              >Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
              >used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
              >impractical?
              >
              >...Albert

            • Mark Foster
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                At 09:29 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
                >Albert LaFrance wrote:
                >> Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
                >> seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
                >> it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
                >> Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.
                >
                >Looks similar to the hut on the Knoxville-Chattanooga L1 route. Some
                >research down at the library revealed this cable was put into service in
                >1953, and the windows on the hut are of that vintage. It has a gable
                >roof, windows on the short sides, and a door on one of the longer sides.
                >
                >> Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
                >> used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
                >> impractical?
                >
                >Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
                >fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
                >"deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
                >mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).
                >
                >Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
                >think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
                >Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.

                Looks too old. L carrier era (L4/L5) were better constructed and lasted longer
                most had a lighter background.
              • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                    Is their anyway that one can ID a repeater hut? I just looked at Mark's
                    pictures of huts and I've seen a few that look similar to the one in
                    Hubbardstown, MA around but always dismissed them as utilitys or something
                    like that.

                    George
                  • Mark Foster
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                      At 10:54 AM 5/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
                      >From: CLDWARHIST@...
                      >
                      >Is their anyway that one can ID a repeater hut? I just looked at Mark's
                      >pictures of huts and I've seen a few that look similar to the one in
                      >Hubbardstown, MA around but always dismissed them as utilitys or something
                      >like that.
                      >
                      >George

                      - Usually on an obvious L carrier route (no dig, AT&T signs etc)
                      - Once you find one the next are at 1, 4 or 8 mile intervals (almost always
                      exact milage)
                      - Usually have exterior hook up point for 100 series test set.
                      - Some have aerial number ID's