Re: Possible L Main Stations

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 47 , May 8, 1999
      At 01:03 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: Albert LaFrance <ALaFrance@...>
      >
      >A followup on a couple of items:
      >
      >(1) I checked out the possible repeater hut on Rt. 7 in Falls Church. It's
      >definitely a water or sewer pumping station. The emergency phone number
      >for Falls Church Public Utilities is posted on the door.
      >
      >Based on the 4-mile spacing of two known repeaters on the
      >Dranesville-Arlington cable, there should be a repeater just west of this
      >location. That would be in or near the I-66/Rt. 7/Metro rail crossing, so
      >it may have been demolished.
      >
      >(2) I was in Herndon yesterday. Lots of AT&T fiber in the area, and I saw
      >an old repeater hut near Herndon Elementary School. Apparently the
      >southbound cable from Dranesville passes through there, and I think some
      >E-W branches too.

      What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
      several lately that
      are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
      believe there is a
      second hatch with a lock under them.
      Message 47 of 47 , May 10, 2015
        On 5/10/15 5:04 PM, farrelmb@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

        > Try dissolving back and forth between 2002 and 1962. It looks like the
        > southern most house in 1962 was demolished to build the access road.
        > The building that we're looking at appears to be bigger in 1962 than it
        > does in 2002. It looks like just another house. I wonder if this
        > really was a repeater location.

        No guarantees until someone visits the county land records.

        But I noted the county imagery registration is off between years;
        everything shifts.