Re: Possible L Main Stations

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 1999
      At 01:03 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
      >From: Albert LaFrance <ALaFrance@...>
      >
      >A followup on a couple of items:
      >
      >(1) I checked out the possible repeater hut on Rt. 7 in Falls Church. It's
      >definitely a water or sewer pumping station. The emergency phone number
      >for Falls Church Public Utilities is posted on the door.
      >
      >Based on the 4-mile spacing of two known repeaters on the
      >Dranesville-Arlington cable, there should be a repeater just west of this
      >location. That would be in or near the I-66/Rt. 7/Metro rail crossing, so
      >it may have been demolished.
      >
      >(2) I was in Herndon yesterday. Lots of AT&T fiber in the area, and I saw
      >an old repeater hut near Herndon Elementary School. Apparently the
      >southbound cable from Dranesville passes through there, and I think some
      >E-W branches too.

      What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
      several lately that
      are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
      believe there is a
      second hatch with a lock under them.
      Message 2 of 16 , May 8, 1999
        Mark,

        >What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
        several lately that
        >are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
        believe there is a
        >second hatch with a lock under them.

        Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
        seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
        it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
        Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.

        Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
        used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
        impractical?

        ...Albert
      • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
        Message 3 of 16 , May 8, 1999
          Albert LaFrance wrote:
          > Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
          > seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
          > it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
          > Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.

          Looks similar to the hut on the Knoxville-Chattanooga L1 route. Some
          research down at the library revealed this cable was put into service in
          1953, and the windows on the hut are of that vintage. It has a gable
          roof, windows on the short sides, and a door on one of the longer sides.

          > Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
          > used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
          > impractical?

          Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
          fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
          "deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
          mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).

          Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
          think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
          Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.
          --
          Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
          Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
          Message 4 of 16 , May 8, 1999
            My apologies if the large attachment on my last posting caused any
            inconvenience. I forget that I was replying to a list message; otherwise I
            would have just put the image on my web page. I realize that some lists
            discourage attachments.

            ...Albert
            Message 5 of 16 , May 8, 1999
              Matthew,

              >Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
              >fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
              >"deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
              >mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).

              I'll have to check out some manholes around here. I don't think I've ever
              a regular (round steel top) manhole with the deathstar; the only ones I've
              noticed are the traditional Bell System design. But I haven't paid close
              attention, so I could have missed the newer ones.

              >Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
              >think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
              >Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.

              That one's a bit puzzling. Around here (Washington DC area), small yellow
              Bell System signs with black lettering usually appear to be associated with
              local telco cables, and in fact say "C&P Telephone". This is the first
              time I've seen one mentioning AT&T. However, I have seen larger
              black-on-yellow AT&T signs marking an copper-pair cable route from Mt.
              Weather, and giving a number for AT&T's Finksburg, MD facility. To make
              things more confusing, the repeater huts on this route are simple
              concrete-block structures, and have Bell Atlantic signs on them.

              Based on that limited experience, my speculation would be that the sign
              might be for some type of AT&T cable other than L-carrier. Perhaps the
              West Palm Beach location is a clue - do you know if there is/was a manned
              AT&T facility there?

              ...Albert
            • Mark Foster
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                See new web page on repeater huts at: http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Huts.htm

                I am also looking for photos of unusual repeater huts/facilities. The one
                Albert sent me
                may be for an equalizing hut. They were half way between main stations and
                larger than
                a standard repeater hut. I have yet to find reasoning for why some
                facilities were just
                manholes and some facilities were well build buildings. Local preference I
                suppose.

                At 09:19 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
                >Mark,
                >
                >>What do the huts look like? Similar to the ones on my site? I have found
                >several lately that
                >>are just a manhole. The manholes do have covers with special bolts. I
                >believe there is a
                >>second hatch with a lock under them.
                >
                >Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
                >seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
                >it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
                >Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.
                >
                >Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
                >used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
                >impractical?
                >
                >...Albert

              • Mark Foster
                Message 7 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                  At 09:29 PM 5/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Albert LaFrance wrote:
                  >> Yes, all of them are the typical Colonial-style red brick houses. Sizes
                  >> seem to vary a little. I'm attaching a picture of one of the larger huts -
                  >> it's the second one from Dranesville on the Dranesville-Arlington cable.
                  >> Repeater spacing on this route is 4 miles.
                  >
                  >Looks similar to the hut on the Knoxville-Chattanooga L1 route. Some
                  >research down at the library revealed this cable was put into service in
                  >1953, and the windows on the hut are of that vintage. It has a gable
                  >roof, windows on the short sides, and a door on one of the longer sides.
                  >
                  >> Very interesting about the manhole-type repeaters. Any idea why they were
                  >> used - maybe for urban locations where a free-standing building would be
                  >> impractical?
                  >
                  >Would make sense. The AT&T manholes in my area that were put in for the
                  >fiber optic routes all have locking bolts on them and have the
                  >"deathstar" logo on them, so it's plainly obvious who owns them (not to
                  >mention the buried cable warning signs are EVERYWHERE).
                  >
                  >Attachment is a sign that a fellow has for sale on eBay right now (I
                  >think, it may have gone off). Could this be an L-carrier vintage sign?
                  >Has both the Bell System logo and AT&T name.

                  Looks too old. L carrier era (L4/L5) were better constructed and lasted longer
                  most had a lighter background.
                • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                  • CLDWARHIST@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                      Is their anyway that one can ID a repeater hut? I just looked at Mark's
                      pictures of huts and I've seen a few that look similar to the one in
                      Hubbardstown, MA around but always dismissed them as utilitys or something
                      like that.

                      George
                    • Mark Foster
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 9, 1999
                        At 10:54 AM 5/9/99 -0400, you wrote:
                        >From: CLDWARHIST@...
                        >
                        >Is their anyway that one can ID a repeater hut? I just looked at Mark's
                        >pictures of huts and I've seen a few that look similar to the one in
                        >Hubbardstown, MA around but always dismissed them as utilitys or something
                        >like that.
                        >
                        >George

                        - Usually on an obvious L carrier route (no dig, AT&T signs etc)
                        - Once you find one the next are at 1, 4 or 8 mile intervals (almost always
                        exact milage)
                        - Usually have exterior hook up point for 100 series test set.
                        - Some have aerial number ID's