Road trip! DC-Dayton

    Message 1 of 26 , May 8, 2010
      So I'm soon departing once again for the Hamvention. Last year we took I-68
      and stopped at a few sites along it.

      This year we could go that way again or take the Breezewood / Penn Pike route.

      Any suggestions? I know we missed some on I-79. But there's Jennerstown,
      etc. the other way.
    • lasertower
      Message 2 of 26 , May 8, 2010
        Taking the second half of the PA pike route to see uWave sites is honorable but insane.

        For those who have never drove it, the eastern half of the PA turnpike is, in my opinion, a narrow, poorly designed, nightmare leftover from the 30s.

        Steve
      • Bill Luebkemann
        Message 3 of 26 , May 8, 2010
          I believe they built the eastern half in the 40's.

          Message 4 of 26 , May 8, 2010
            Bill-
            We moved east in 1945, and for the next several years my folks returned to MI and OH at least two or three times a year. I was only 5 in 1945, and I remember Dad telling me over the next few years about the route we would drive. He'd go down thru NJ from CT on 'parkways' which were a precursor to today's freeways. He'd take Rte 22 and 422 thru NJ and hookup with the newly completed Pa Turnpike somewhere east of Harrisburg, and we'd stay on it thru seven tunnels to somewhere short of Pittsburgh. The original Pa Pike was built over a railroad roadbed. The roadbed was built by the NY Central to compete with the Pennsylvania Railroad, but tracks were never laid. I've driven it hundreds of times, and observed the eastern portion was graded extremely flat, as though it were also an RR grade, even though it was a hi speed highway. Because this was so early in the history of freeway construction, we didn't plan for large shoulders or banking for curves. Rather this old part of the Pa Turnpike, while built as a road, has no separation for lanes except for a guardrail steel rope fence. Trains stay on tracks, vehicles wander, hence, the original road was built for trains, but the first extensions of the road were built way too close together for cars, but we simply didn't know at the time.

            Google <Pennsylvania Turnpike> and you'll find several websites devoted to this historic road, including one about the two abandoned tunnels that have been replaced by new roads with cutouts of the mountains rather than thru tunnels. The old tunnels exist today and are worth reading about!

            "Yooper Tom" Scanlan
            Breckenridge, CO
            Copper Falls, MI

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Luebkemann" <bill@...> wrote:

            > I believe they built the eastern half in the 40's.

          • Bill Luebkemann
            Message 5 of 26 , May 8, 2010
              I am familiar with the turnpike and will drive the length of it again on Tuesday. I am not looking forward to it
              and I agree with your comments. I was only pointing out that the road was built in the 40's, not the 30's.
              Construction began in 1939, and that was only from west of Harrisburg out to near Pittsburgh. The
              eastern half came a little later, well into the 40's.

              --- In coldwarcomms@ <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Bill Luebkemann" <bill@...> wrote:

              > I believe they built the eastern half in the 40's.

            • Blake Bowers
              Message 6 of 26 , May 8, 2010
                3 tunnels no longer used for car traffic not 2. Sideling hill, close to
                the Sideling Hill AT&T tower
                that had the ill fated attempt to dynamite the old concrete silo - but they
                tried again till they got it done, Rays Hill,
                and Laurel Hlll. Sideling Hill and Rays Hill are being developed into bike
                trails http://www.piketobike.org/ and
                Laurel Hill is at work center - now allegedly used for Nascar testing, or
                for the more fun guesses, a secret
                FEMA test center....

                I love the old pike!

                Don't take your organs to heaven,
                heaven knows we need them down here!

                Message 7 of 26 , May 9, 2010
                  >How much is left of the foundation of the concrete tower? How did they drop it without killing the lattice tower?

                  Steve
                • Blake Bowers
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 9, 2010
                    Nothing left of the concrete tower, and they just did a
                    controlled drop - although the first one was a little TOO
                    controlled!

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 9, 2010
                      Let me rephrase the question in hopes of getting suggestions:

                      Given this route <http://tinyurl.com/29ttdge> i.e. either choice, and
                      reasonable deviations, such as to Pittsburgh area;

                      What tower/underground sites are there to visit?

                      I know there's some alone I-79 we skipped last year. But we could take US30
                      instead of the Pike; it there are better pickings there.
                    • widebandit
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 10, 2010
                        > Given this route <http://tinyurl.com/29ttdge> i.e. either choice, and
                        > reasonable deviations, such as to Pittsburgh area;
                        >
                        > What tower/underground sites are there to visit?

                        Here's two you can try:

                        Sycamore Pa
                        N39:59:18 W80:14:08
                        275' A-2P-SP 12 x KS15676

                        http://tinyurl.com/ATTSycamore

                        North of Waynesburg Pa on west side of 79N.

                        I-79 N Exit 19 Ruff Creek, take 221 N Dunn Station Road (aka Lippencott Road), left on Dillie Road, right on Tower Road (imagine that), tower is on the hilltop. If you miss Dillie Road, Boyd Road and Morris Road will also take you up there.

                        Mt Wheeler Pa aka Washington
                        N40:07:52 W80:14:28

                        http://tinyurl.com/ATTMtWheelerPa

                        I-79N Exit 30 to SR19 Waynesburg Rd, right on SR19, go under I-79 right on S Main Street Ext, left on Courson Hill road, right on High Flight Dr.

                        Mt wheeler is one-hop (11 mi) north of Sycamore and also connected to Troy Hill Pa and Hopedale Oh.

                        You can get there from Sycamore by navigating from SR221 to SR19 via Long Mills Rd and W Dividing Ridge Rd.
                      • Tim Fox
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 10, 2010
                          This has been an enjoyable thread. As has been cited, many of these wondrous structures have already been removed ---- for a whole host of reasons including the salvage value of the steel and copper.

                          As lovers of this technology, it is therefore our responsibility to photo-document each of these sites and to submit our efforts to Albert LaFrance for preservation in his Long Lines "Places" file. I have provided many for him to use and have dozens more that I am preparing. It you haven't been to the site you should go ----------- you can spend hours enjoying the massive beauty of these towers.

                          Offered for your consideration ---
                          Tim Fox

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 11, 2010

                            > What tower/underground sites are there to visit?

                            Here's a few more. First, corrected URLs:
                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTSycamorePaBing

                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTMtWheelerPaBing

                            In Bing you can't just copy the URL in the browser window. You have to click the `share' button and copy that URL.

                            Bridgeport Ohio
                            N40:03:43 W80:45:29
                            250' A-2P-SP
                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTBridgeportOh

                            I-70 exit 225, south on Marion St, left on Whitley St 2 blocks east, right on county road 30 (south), CR30 curves to the west, tower on left.

                            Omps Virginia
                            N39:27:41 W78:20:49
                            Two Towers
                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTOmpsVa

                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTOmpsVaMapTech

                            This could be a challenge; you have to go into Cacapon State park WVa; I don't know if access is clear all the way to the site.
                            I-70W exit 1b to 522, south to Cacapon State Park, take dirt road to the Batt picnic area, keep heading up the hillside to site on saddleback. The saddleback is a little notch of Virginia called The Lock

                            Layton Pa
                            N40:05:43 W79:41:23
                            350' M Tower
                            Repeater between Jennerstown & Sycamore
                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTLaytonPaBing2

                            I-70 exit 22 (Hwy 51 South). Proceed on Hwy 51 South to Independence Rd. Turn left onto Indepedence which turns into Mary Lane and then into Layton Rd. Turn right at stop sign, then left onto tower access road, then right at red cattle gate for site access.

                            And Jennerstown.
                            Two Towers
                            http://tinyurl.com/ATTJennerstownPaBing

                            Pa Tpk exit 110 left on 601 N Center Ave., north on 601 follow signs to US219 North, exit US219 at US30 head west to Jennerstown. Site is visible from 219.

                            That should give you enough to do....waw...
                          • Blake Bowers
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 11, 2010
                              Totally off the route, I would consider going to breezewood pa,
                              then up the hill to Sideling Hill, where the AT&T concrete building
                              was removed, but the tower they built next to it remains, as well as
                              a MCI site just down the forest road.

                              Then go down the hill to the old PA Turnpike tunnels!

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 11, 2010
                                On 5/11/10 3:13 AM, widebandit wrote:

                                >> What tower/underground sites are there to visit?
                                >>
                                > Here's a few more. First, corrected URLs:
                                > http://tinyurl.com/ATTSycamorePaBing
                                >
                                > http://tinyurl.com/ATTMtWheelerPaBing
                                >
                                > In Bing you can't just copy the URL in the browser window. You have to
                                > click the `share' button and copy that URL.

                                Bing also won't work in FF or Opera; but does work in Safari.

                                But many thanks. Thinking we'll hit the WV sites, then I68;
                                and leave Rt30 for another day.
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 12, 2010
                                  A great day of tower spotting...thanks to widebandit.

                                  First went to Opms.. A long way up that narrow ridgeline road.
                                  Wow! That's a king-sized site...

                                  Then on to Sycamore. It looked very lonely up there, unused.
                                  There's a buttload of T1 repeaters around. Some are clearly for
                                  the ATT wireless facility now there, others I finally grokked
                                  support Bell of PA's flock of polemounted SLC's.

                                  Then Mt. Wheeler; we stopped at the closed faux gate and took
                                  a few pictures. There is a lot of iron atop that hill.

                                  Then we hustled to Bridgeport before dark but got caught in detours.
                                  There is also a WeCo A-type looking tower on the east side of the river;
                                  lat/long will follow.

                                  We finally found County {alleged}Road 30 and searched for
                                  the site. We got mislead by the Cingular site and backtracked.

                                  We then passed the ATT driveway by and took the next one, which is a loose
                                  gravel path up a STEEP hill, but we made it, only to find it was to the
                                  tower adjacent; there must be a story re: not sharing the road. Dark was
                                  falling as we went back down.

                                  I have a bunch of poor pictures I'll submit later.
                                • widebandit
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 13, 2010
                                    Very good! Three of four sites - two major junction stations - in over 200 miles of driving distance. I sometimes don't do that well when site searching is my sole objective.

                                    I'm glad you made it to Omps – two-tower sites are obvious testimony of Long-Lines' commitment to radio-relay technology.

                                    This makes you an un-official member of the un-official AT&T Long-Lines expeditionary force. Now imagine yourself as an AT&T crafts-person assigned to a cluster of radio-relay stations, not only for routine maintenance but climbing that Virginia hillside on some blustery night to clear a couple of RF power alarms and a protection channel that's locked out.

                                    Seeing the mass of concrete, steel, aluminum, & copper invested in one site shows another aspect of AT&T's hard push in the '80s to develop the art of fiber-optic into a viable long-haul medium....waw...

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 13, 2010
                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "widebandit" <widebandit@...> wrote:

                                      > Very good! Three of four sites - two major junction stations - in over 200 miles of driving distance. I sometimes don't do that well when site searching is my sole objective.
                                      >
                                      > I'm glad you made it to Omps – two-tower sites are obvious testimony of Long-Lines' commitment to radio-relay technology.

                                      In the case of Omps it's more of a commitment to providing the gov't diverse inter-connectivity to COG & NS/EP sites(for a price): not a lotta POTS on those routes.

                                      Omps was manned and they only got a paltry $5 a week special allowance for that joyride up the mt everyday; should have been $5 a day in winter.
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 13, 2010
                                        On 5/13/10 9:34 AM, OZOB99 wrote:
                                        > Omps was manned and they only got a paltry $5 a week special allowance
                                        > for that joyride up the mt everyday; should have been $5 a day in
                                        > winter.

                                        One question: it looks like there was a direct road in to the building off
                                        522. Did employees take it, or the park route?

                                        The Bridgeport employees deserve an allowance for CR30.

                                        Meanwhile, bargains await at the Hamvention.....
                                      • Bill
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 13, 2010
                                          I wish I were there. Not going to happen. Again. 2003 was the last
                                          after 28 straight trips.

                                          Bill, WB0NSQ
                                          Kansas City, KS

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 14, 2010
                                            And Omps is apparently still active - a month or two ago, I heard that AT&T
                                            was replacing the site's emergency generator.

                                            According to the 1970 route map (
                                            http://long-lines.net/places-routes/DC1970.html ), Omps had direct shots to
                                            the Hagerstown 2 and Leesburg 5 Project Offices. It also had a shot (not on
                                            the map) to the west side of Mt. Weather, aka Washington 4. Actually, I
                                            think all of those links are still licensed, and probably active.

                                            Albert

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 14, 2010
                                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                                              > On 5/13/10 9:34 AM, OZOB99 wrote:
                                              > > Omps was manned and they only got a paltry $5 a week special allowance
                                              > > for that joyride up the mt everyday; should have been $5 a day in
                                              > > winter.
                                              >

                                              > One question: it looks like there was a direct road in to the building off
                                              > 522. Did employees take it, or the park route?

                                              The park rd is the access rd; the other you saw was probably another access rd to other tower sites nearby.
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 14, 2010
                                                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <albert.lafrance@...> wrote:

                                                > And Omps is apparently still active - a month or two ago, I heard that AT&T
                                                > was replacing the site's emergency generator.
                                                >

                                                > According to the 1970 route map (
                                                > http://long-lines.net/places-routes/DC1970.html ), Omps had direct shots to
                                                > the Hagerstown 2 and Leesburg 5 Project Offices. It also had a shot (not on
                                                > the map) to the west side of Mt. Weather, aka Washington 4. Actually, I
                                                > think all of those links are still licensed, and probably active.
                                                >

                                                > Albert

                                                Omps was built in the late 1950's as special construction(along with some others in the area)to provide COG comms to Berryville #2/Wash 4, a later building addition & another tower provided comms for the above Project offices and probably some other NS/EP locations.

                                                It had LMX-1 initially and later LMX-2, providing group,super group & master group connections between various locations.

                                                It was manned by a Testroom Supervisor & one tech for many years; during the Cuban Missle crisis it, like other critical comms sites,was covered 24/7 for a few weeks.

                                                The genset was ultimately 225KW and may be the one replaced if true, although from what i've found it's not currently active as an AT&T site.
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 14, 2010
                                                  There's a road below the building which seems to be along the power feed.

                                                  See: <http://tinyurl.com/32jprjh>; it appears the visible path headed
                                                  east-northeast.
                                                • widebandit
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 14, 2010
                                                    I believe the nice straight 'road' is the powerline easement. If you change the view to map and check the terrain box in the [more...] menu, the topography shows the easement cutting straight across a number of ridgelines - travel would be very difficult.

                                                    Full zoom at bing.com/maps is much better; it just barely shows the wires & cross arms - in a few places the easement crosses rock outcroppingss.

                                                    The more I look at overhead photography, the more wary I become of straight pathways with sharp corners....waw...

                                                    And what's the name of the ridge-line 4-miles west of Oomps?

                                                    Sideling Hill - yes, it runs all the way from Slanesville WV to Mill Creek Pa....waw...

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 15, 2010
                                                      On 5/15/10 1:17 AM, widebandit wrote:
                                                      > I believe the nice straight 'road' is the powerline easement. If you
                                                      > change the view to map and check the terrain box in the [more...] menu,
                                                      > the topography shows the easement cutting straight across a number of
                                                      > ridgelines - travel would be very difficult.

                                                      This is not the HV line passing well south of the station.

                                                      At
                                                      <http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=39.462059427235474~-78.34506838923264&lvl=18&sty=h>
                                                      you can see the road we saw. It decends from the station with sharp
                                                      switchbacks about where the power did. It looks like the road goes toward
                                                      522, then at
                                                      <http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=39.463752822496666~-78.31245811942895&lvl=19&sty=h>
                                                      you can see the 522 connection.
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 16, 2010
                                                        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

                                                        > On 5/15/10 1:17 AM, widebandit wrote:
                                                        > > I believe the nice straight 'road' is the powerline easement. If you
                                                        > > change the view to map and check the terrain box in the [more...] menu,
                                                        > > the topography shows the easement cutting straight across a number of
                                                        > > ridgelines - travel would be very difficult.
                                                        > >

                                                        > This is not the HV line passing well south of the station.
                                                        >
                                                        > At
                                                        > <http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=39.462059427235474~-78.34506838923264&lvl=18&sty=h>
                                                        > you can see the road we saw. It decends from the station with sharp
                                                        > switchbacks about where the power did. It looks like the road goes toward
                                                        > 522, then at
                                                        > <http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=39.463752822496666~-78.31245811942895&lvl=19&sty=h>
                                                        > you can see the 522 connection.

                                                        A local tells me this was access to another RF site in the vicinity, but not sure it's still active or even there now.