Radio Towers at White House,VA.

  • ozob99@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 17, 2001
      A large antenna farm at White House landing on the Pamunkey river in
      New Kent Co.,Va has existed since the 60's. At that time it was
      operated by IT&T under a govt contract supposedly to conduct
      ionospheric radio testing.Currently it is part of a Navy
      HF ROTHR(relocatable over the horizon radar) network for counter drug
      activities in the Caribbean under Southcom.

      Anyone know what really went on there in the 60's & beyond??

      http://www.ciponline.org/facts/radar.htm
      http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/airdef/an-tps-71.htm
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 29, 2011
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, ozob99@... wrote:

        > A large antenna farm at White House landing on the Pamunkey river in
        > New Kent Co.,Va has existed since the 60's. At that time it was
        > operated by IT&T under a govt contract supposedly to conduct
        > ionospheric radio testing.Currently it is part of a Navy
        > HF ROTHR(relocatable over the horizon radar) network for counter drug
        > activities in the Caribbean under Southcom.
        >
        > Anyone know what really went on there in the 60's & beyond??

        An update but no answers to the original use.

        According to local lore the original towers & buildings established in the early 1960's was: a USAF activity? a listening post? a couple of hams said it was transmitting wierd signals? the Navy was alleged to have something there in the early 1970's?

        The Navy did establish their ROTHR transmitter there in 1987.(the receiver is at the former NSG activity Northwest,Va.)

        According to the New Kent Historical Society the original tall towers were demolished about 1980 and later the ROTHR towers were built on the site and one of the original buildings remains among the newer.

        Inquiries to the Naval Space Command about the previous mission are unanswered.

        As an aside, the 1st military activity at White House Landing was the 1862 supply depot for the Peninsula Campaign; and George Washington was supposedly married here.

        http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=17718

        ROTHR references:

        http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/an-tps-71.htm

        http://space.au.af.mil/primer/navy_space.pdf

        http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA396217

        articles.dailypress.com/1994-10-26/news/9410260174_1_radar-system-over-the-horizon-radar-government-contract
      • wx_watch
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2011
          Just some hazy anecdotal information regarding this site:

          I was fortunate enough to enjoy duck hunting expeditions on various marshes on the Paumunkey river during the mid 60's to 80's. As a matter of fact, we used to sometimes launch the boats at the end of the Rockahock dirt road where the present ROTHR transmitter is located.

          I, personally, do not recall any towers there in the 60's. However, sometime in the late 70's or early 80's I do recall some "small" towers in the woods west of the current sight. They had plain metal black & white signs on the nearby dirt road stating "No trespassing - Government Property."

          I do recall that several years later (maybe late 80's) there was a sign on the local county paved road indicating that the wooded site was an experimental ROTHR facility being managed by Raytheon. (Probably placed there so construction personnel could find the spot!)

          My next happenstance trip, several years later, and the "new" facility was very obvious. I recall a news story in either the Washington Post or possibly the Newport News paper shortly thereafter describing the facility. There was also an article in the December, 1990 "Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society" that mentioned a short term use of data from the facilty to map surface wind direction in the Carribean Sea area.

          I have not had the opportunity to visit the area lately, but I assume the facility is still there.

          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, ozob99@ wrote:
          > >
          > > A large antenna farm at White House landing on the Pamunkey river in
          > > New Kent Co.,Va has existed since the 60's. At that time it was
          > > operated by IT&T under a govt contract supposedly to conduct
          > > ionospheric radio testing.Currently it is part of a Navy
          > > HF ROTHR(relocatable over the horizon radar) network for counter drug
          > > activities in the Caribbean under Southcom.
          > >
          > > Anyone know what really went on there in the 60's & beyond??
          >
          > An update but no answers to the original use.
          >
          > According to local lore the original towers & buildings established in the early 1960's was: a USAF activity? a listening post? a couple of hams said it was transmitting wierd signals? the Navy was alleged to have something there in the early 1970's?
          >
          > The Navy did establish their ROTHR transmitter there in 1987.(the receiver is at the former NSG activity Northwest,Va.)
          >
          > According to the New Kent Historical Society the original tall towers were demolished about 1980 and later the ROTHR towers were built on the site and one of the original buildings remains among the newer.
          >
          > Inquiries to the Naval Space Command about the previous mission are unanswered.
          >
          > As an aside, the 1st military activity at White House Landing was the 1862 supply depot for the Peninsula Campaign; and George Washington was supposedly married here.
          >
          > http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=17718
          >

          > ROTHR references:
          >
          > http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/an-tps-71.htm
          >
          > http://space.au.af.mil/primer/navy_space.pdf
          >
          > http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA396217
          >
          > articles.dailypress.com/1994-10-26/news/9410260174_1_radar-system-over-the-horizon-radar-government-contract

        • ajbtelecom
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2011
            Just some wild-a** speculation on my part, but if the 1960's era ITT installation was in fact an OTH radar system, and if the coverage area of said hypothetical system was at all similar to that of the current system [as shown on the globalsecurity.org link], then I would guess it was to provide backup in case installations in Florida [and vicinity] were to become disabled for some reason. The current coverage map includes an island off the coast of Florida that was of particular concern in the early 1960's...

            I'm guessing you are all well aware of this, and are looking for actual documentation. That, I'm afraid, I don't have. [w/a speculation is easy, but documenting things takes real work.]

            Jim
            Speculating wildly from a secure undisclosed location.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "wx_watch" <wx_watch@...> wrote:

              > Just some hazy anecdotal information regarding this site:
              >
              > I was fortunate enough to enjoy duck hunting expeditions on various marshes on the Paumunkey river during the mid 60's to 80's. As a matter of fact, we used to sometimes launch the boats at the end of the Rockahock dirt road where the present ROTHR transmitter is located.
              >
              > I, personally, do not recall any towers there in the 60's. However, sometime in the late 70's or early 80's I do recall some "small" towers in the woods west of the current sight. They had plain metal black & white signs on the nearby dirt road stating "No trespassing - Government Property."
              >
              > I do recall that several years later (maybe late 80's) there was a sign on the local county paved road indicating that the wooded site was an experimental ROTHR facility being managed by Raytheon. (Probably placed there so construction personnel could find the spot!)
              >
              > My next happenstance trip, several years later, and the "new" facility was very obvious. I recall a news story in either the Washington Post or possibly the Newport News paper shortly thereafter describing the facility. There was also an article in the December, 1990 "Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society" that mentioned a short term use of data from the facilty to map surface wind direction in the Carribean Sea area.
              >
              > I have not had the opportunity to visit the area lately, but I assume the facility is still there.
              >
              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, ozob99@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > A large antenna farm at White House landing on the Pamunkey river in
              > > > New Kent Co.,Va has existed since the 60's. At that time it was
              > > > operated by IT&T under a govt contract supposedly to conduct
              > > > ionospheric radio testing.Currently it is part of a Navy
              > > > HF ROTHR(relocatable over the horizon radar) network for counter drug
              > > > activities in the Caribbean under Southcom.
              > > >
              > > > Anyone know what really went on there in the 60's & beyond??
              > >
              > > An update but no answers to the original use.
              > >
              > > According to local lore the original towers & buildings established in the early 1960's was: a USAF activity? a listening post? a couple of hams said it was transmitting wierd signals? the Navy was alleged to have something there in the early 1970's?
              > >
              > > The Navy did establish their ROTHR transmitter there in 1987.(the receiver is at the former NSG activity Northwest,Va.)
              > >
              > > According to the New Kent Historical Society the original tall towers were demolished about 1980 and later the ROTHR towers were built on the site and one of the original buildings remains among the newer.
              > >
              > > Inquiries to the Naval Space Command about the previous mission are unanswered.

              I have finally found some answers on this site:

              -It was established in the mid 1960's by the Navy(ONR)& ARPA, and operated by IT&T's Electro Physics Lab for OTH and other radio research;it's alleged to have been demolished around 1980.

              -In 1967 the transmitter, known as Chapel Bell(in this document it's described as "near Washington DC"), was used in an ocean surveillance experiment along with the NRL MADRE radar at Rangle Cliff MD,and the ESSA-ITSA radar at Boulder,CO.

              -In 1970 Chapel Bell(at Whitehouse Va) was used in the May Bell project;with a 500KW(peak pulse power) transmitter illuminating the Cape Kennedy Fl area:

              http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/514939.pdf

              The ASA Vint Hill farm intercept station was also involved in these tests.

              -In 1975 Chapel Bell was involved in propagation tests to Lincoln NE;and the Polar Fox 1 experiment:

              http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a013648.pdf

              -Researching this I found a site new to me: A 300KW peak power OTH transmitter at Muirkirk MD associated with the Saturn SA-5 & SA-6 launches in this paper:

              www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/373294.pdf
            • NORMAN JEWELER
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 30, 2013
                I can tell you a little about both the White House site and Murikirk site.

                My company United States Tower Services, Limited of Frederick, Maryland removed and cleared the White House site in the late 90's.
                At that time there were several 300' Rohn model 80 towers, and some aluminum poles which held a wire array that was very large.  The site rep told us it was a OTHR transmitter site.  The transmitter building was gutted and nothing but some big transformers with contaminated oil remained. There was some giant 10X10X3/8 copper plates placed side by side under the model 80 towers. The straight aluminum poles were sold to ham's who used them by stacking them to make vertical antennas for 75 & 160 meters. The slanted poles were sold for scrap.

                The Muirkirk site had a HyGain rotatable log periodic antenna which we removed and re-installed at the Capitol Institute of Technology campus in Kensington in the early 70's.

                Another one of my companies, United States Antenna Products of Frederick, Maryland purchased the rights to all of the commercial line of HyGain antennas and has manufactured many of them including the big rotatable log periodic antennas since 1999.

                Hope this info is useful.

                Norm

                Message 7 of 14 , May 1, 2013
                  Thanks for the update; was the Muirkirk antenna on/in a gov't facility or a commercial building or field?

                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, NORMAN JEWELER <w4nrs@...> wrote:

                  > I can tell you a little about both the White House site and Murikirk site.
                  >
                  > My company United States Tower Services, Limited of Frederick, Maryland removed and cleared the White House site in the late 90's.
                  > At that time there were several 300' Rohn model 80 towers, and some aluminum poles which held a wire array that was very large.  The site rep told us it was a OTHR transmitter site.  The transmitter building was gutted and nothing but some big transformers with contaminated oil remained. There was some giant 10X10X3/8 copper plates placed side by side under the model 80 towers. The straight aluminum poles were sold to ham's who used them by stacking them to make vertical antennas for 75 & 160 meters. The slanted poles were sold for scrap.
                  >
                  > The Muirkirk site had a HyGain rotatable log periodic antenna which we removed and re-installed at the Capitol Institute of Technology campus in Kensington in the early 70's.
                  >
                  > Another one of my companies, United States Antenna Products of Frederick, Maryland purchased the rights to all of the commercial line of HyGain antennas and has manufactured many of them including the big rotatable log periodic antennas since 1999.
                  >
                  > Hope this info is useful.
                  >
                  > Norm

                • Mike Doughney
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2013
                    My informed guess is that this facility was near the corner of Muirkirk
                    Road and Old Baltimore Pike, at property that's now a Howard University
                    and NASA research facility. There are still antennas there:

                    http://goo.gl/maps/tLVUv

                    http://www.bccso.org/

                    Relatively recently (it might be 20 years ago by now) this location was
                    used to test new MW broadcast antenna designs.

                    On 5/1/2013 10:14, OZOB99 wrote:

                    > Thanks for the update; was the Muirkirk antenna on/in a gov't facility
                    > or a commercial building or field?
                    >
                    > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, NORMAN JEWELER <w4nrs@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I can tell you a little about both the White House site and Murikirk
                    > site.
                    > >
                    > > My company United States Tower Services, Limited of Frederick,
                    > Maryland removed and cleared the White House site in the late 90's.
                    > > At that time there were several 300' Rohn model 80 towers, and some
                    > aluminum poles which held a wire array that was very large. The site
                    > rep told us it was a OTHR transmitter site. The transmitter building
                    > was gutted and nothing but some big transformers with contaminated oil
                    > remained. There was some giant 10X10X3/8 copper plates placed side by
                    > side under the model 80 towers. The straight aluminum poles were sold
                    > to ham's who used them by stacking them to make vertical antennas for
                    > 75 & 160 meters. The slanted poles were sold for scrap.
                    > >
                    > > The Muirkirk site had a HyGain rotatable log periodic antenna which
                    > we removed and re-installed at the Capitol Institute of Technology
                    > campus in Kensington in the early 70's.
                    > >
                    > > Another one of my companies, United States Antenna Products of
                    > Frederick, Maryland purchased the rights to all of the commercial line
                    > of HyGain antennas and has manufactured many of them including the big
                    > rotatable log periodic antennas since 1999.
                    > >
                    > > Hope this info is useful.
                    > >
                    > > Norm

                  • taskforceleader
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 1, 2013
                      In the northern part of this facility there is what appears to be a facilty that has four "search light" looking devices that are in a square and looking directly vertically. A very similar sets of instruments exists in the Air Force test site located in the old Maynard, Mass Fort Devens Annex. (N 42-24-51.2 W 71-29-13.3)

                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mike Doughney <mike@...> wrote:

                      > My informed guess is that this facility was near the corner of Muirkirk
                      > Road and Old Baltimore Pike, at property that's now a Howard University
                      > and NASA research facility. There are still antennas there:
                      >
                      > http://goo.gl/maps/tLVUv
                      >
                      > http://www.bccso.org/
                      >
                      > Relatively recently (it might be 20 years ago by now) this location was
                      > used to test new MW broadcast antenna designs.
                      >
                      > On 5/1/2013 10:14, OZOB99 wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the update; was the Muirkirk antenna on/in a gov't facility
                      > > or a commercial building or field?
                      > >
                      > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:coldwarcomms%40yahoogroups.com>, NORMAN JEWELER <w4nrs@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I can tell you a little about both the White House site and Murikirk
                      > > site.
                      > > >
                      > > > My company United States Tower Services, Limited of Frederick,
                      > > Maryland removed and cleared the White House site in the late 90's.
                      > > > At that time there were several 300' Rohn model 80 towers, and some
                      > > aluminum poles which held a wire array that was very large. The site
                      > > rep told us it was a OTHR transmitter site. The transmitter building
                      > > was gutted and nothing but some big transformers with contaminated oil
                      > > remained. There was some giant 10X10X3/8 copper plates placed side by
                      > > side under the model 80 towers. The straight aluminum poles were sold
                      > > to ham's who used them by stacking them to make vertical antennas for
                      > > 75 & 160 meters. The slanted poles were sold for scrap.
                      > > >
                      > > > The Muirkirk site had a HyGain rotatable log periodic antenna which
                      > > we removed and re-installed at the Capitol Institute of Technology
                      > > campus in Kensington in the early 70's.
                      > > >
                      > > > Another one of my companies, United States Antenna Products of
                      > > Frederick, Maryland purchased the rights to all of the commercial line
                      > > of HyGain antennas and has manufactured many of them including the big
                      > > rotatable log periodic antennas since 1999.
                      > > >
                      > > > Hope this info is useful.
                      > > >
                      > > > Norm

                    • Polo Hat
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 1, 2013
                        Looks like wind profiler RADAR to me.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 1, 2013
                          Looks like it is; Howard University has one; snippet from:

                          http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/Air/AirQualityMonitoring/Pages/Radar.aspx

                          "MDE operates three RWP and RASS instruments in Maryland. One is deployed at Howard University Field Laboratory in Beltsville, the second is at the Piney Run monitoring site in Frostburg, and the third is at the Horn Point monitoring site in Cambridge."

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 2, 2013
                            It was on a gov't facility and the US Capitol Police and US park Police had a driving range on the property which at one point was an airport facility with a runway.

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 2, 2013
                              That general area had a lot of interesting stuff going on in the day, and to this day; for those unfamiliar a few are mentioned in post 14532.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 14
                                Proposed repurpose of the Whitehouse Field Site:

                                http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a067790.pdf