NE Ohio mysteries

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010
      There are several things about NE Ohio that I do not fully follow.

      a) Terry mentioned a Plano to Palmer, Bremen, Butler, Whitehouse, Hiram,
      Lillyville and east L run.

      b) I have no idea where "Whitehorse" is. On a line between Plano & Hiram,
      40-50 west of Hiram might be Elyria.

      c) The older map shows a coax site in "Elyria" but it is shown as SW of the
      Lorain TD-2 silo. I've never heard of any underground site around Elyria.

      Elyria is SE of Lorain, but Oberlin is SW, and guess what, Oberlin houses
      the FAA's Cleveland ARTCC, the busiest one in the country. In 1960 when it
      was built, the wet string independent telco would have been overwhelmed by
      such; and I'd heard that ATT ran their own facilities to it.

      Further, Plano-Hiram would have to cross I-71, I-77 and I-271 at some
      point. I know of no other ATT line crossings near there besides the
      Medina-750 Huron run alongside I-71. ["T" on the markers] {At one point it
      jumps from the west side to the east.)

      d) Medina has the C cable leaving it headed west; where does IT go?
    • michael_schwiebert
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2010
        "Whitehouse" is southwest of Toledo, the "E" route out of Medina comes in to the facility there (continuing on West to the next facility at Butler IN) , and spurs to Detroit and Toledo leave from it.

        Michael Schwiebert
        Perrysburg OH

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2010
          The "M" from Medina to Akron can be seen here <http://tinyurl.com/yhxnhtc>;
          that's where it crosses Basore and heads east, then jogs south.

          West of there it is just north to just south of the Mormon Church; then
          across I-71. From there, it runs NW to the station. That whole plot is
          recently built up; I wonder if the RoW is still intact.

          The CVRA line must be the "A" to Waterford just south of Erie PA. The Rt_8
          crossing sounds like it is also A. It crosses Rt 94 somewhere S of I-271
          but I can't recall exactly where; it's north of the high school.

          re: Whitehouse/Toledo.

          My oops on the name. But if the E comes there, than it must be "C" that
          goes Medina to Bluffton. I'd assumed the northern-most destination was the
          northern exit of the grounds, but if not, they cross somewhere west of the
          station.

          AFAIK, there's nothing between Medina and Bluffton; I recall being told it
          was the next station west.

          Medina's northern westbound one goes through a now very built up area along
          Rt 42; the southern runs west alongside/crossing Rt 18 west of Medina. If
          my local friend gets time, I'll ask him what the tent markers say there.

          Is a "Long-Lines CO" an Operating Company building, or a L/L one?