Solar Storms Affecting Telecomms

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2010
      Looking further into Plano Il I found this list of Solar Storms damaging telecom & radio facilities:

      Snippet about Plano:

      At 22:30 UT AT&T reported a voltage surge of 60 volts on their coaxial telephone cable between Chicago and Nebraska. Another 30 minute shutdown of phone service on Bell's cable link between Plano, Illinois and Cascade, Iowa was also attributed to the storm. Both the Canadian Overseas Telecommunications Corporation and Canadian National Telecommunications reported that the current surges in their lines had damaged components in their system ranging from noise filters to 'carbon blocks'.

      from this page: http://www.solarstorms.org/SRefStorms.html