Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Low-quality video of WAYNE, PA switching center

  • Pj
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 16 2:23 PM
      I seem to recall from a past thread years ago that the major MW junction called Little City here in CT had an EMD engine. I believed it was also manned as a matienece center for the area. IIRC it was going to be removed but would have required knocking down an entire wall.
      Sent from the Blackberry

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 16 4:40 PM
        I'm much more familiar with the EMD diesels in
        railroad service. In that use, the "starter" was
        the field winding in the main generator. With
        good batteries, they cranked over very
        well. I've never seen another type of electric
        starter used on a 567, and only one air
        starter. For those that may not know, the EMD
        2-stroke diesels (567, 645, 710) get their name
        from the displacement per cylinder (in cubic
        inches). On a 567, this is an 8.5" piston with a
        10" stroke. The number of cylinders ranges from
        6 (567) to 20 (710), with 12 & 16 being most
        common for the 567. Rule of thumb for non-turbo
        567s is 100 HP/cylinder. Many variations were
        produced between 1935 and 1966, when the 645 and
        the use of a rectified alternator became the new
        standard. By comparison, a current 20 cylinder
        710 w/ turbo produces 5000 HP, or 3.7MW. It's
        really something to see and hear if you blow the
        intake oil seal on the turbo. It's in runaway
        with no "controlled" way to shut them down. The
        preferred method in that scenario is to throw a
        wrench into the turbo before the entire engine is destroyed.

        Mike

        At 10:45 AM 2/16/2010, you wrote:

        > > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex
        > > (GrandAvenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels.
        > > It was very impressive when it ran.
        >
        >We had one as a pipeline booster. It was quite impressive, but I hope ATT's
        >used air starters; we had recurring issues
        >burning out the electric ones on it.

      • Tim Fox
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 16 7:29 PM
          Good evening Folks ---------------- as memory serves me from a couple 1964 tours of the AT&T-LL Norway Regional Switching Center there were either 2 or 3 of these "locomotive" type generator plants in the basement. At least that's what Floyd Ryberg (my tour-guide) referred to them as. Massive -- impressive!

          Tim Fox