Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Camp Dawson(was Rowlesburg,WV relocation site?)

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 16, 2010
      I don't know about that. I think it was more a layer of insulation - as
      many of the sites we own or have owned have them on the prevailing
      wind side of the buildings, but not all sides.

      Many of the sites have multiple buildings, with only one having some
      siding.

      Don't take your organs to heaven,
      heaven knows we need them down here!

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 7, 2010
        While traveling north on US385/US287 to Lamar, CO I noticed there were huts spaced, as I recall, about every 9 miles, as well as some larger buildings, mostly brick. I stopped at one of the huts and it was locked, but abandoned. The power was cut off, meter gone, and pigtails snipped at the power pole. There was an underground vault, but the access doors were unmovable. I remember there was an autovon coax route going up to NORAD in Colorado Springs back several decades ago. Can anyone remember what this route was? There were also many of the small marker signs on little poles, indicating what appeared to be cable routes.

        Thanks.....

        Tom Scanlan

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 7, 2010
          Traveling to Sigsbee Area, Key West NAS, I decided to see if I could find the four towers of Radio Marti. I had previously thought the three towers in Marathon were those of Radio Marti, but a member of this website advised there were four towers, not three. The three tower array are those of a local Marathon AM station, on 1300 KHz.

          At Cudjoe Key, home of arrostat Fat Albert, I saw what appeared to be four AM towers, adjacent to an assortment of other towers, including a huge log periodic and a few other structures, and Fat Albert on the ground.

          Scanned all AM frequencies and picked up strong signal on AM 1180, and although not at all fluent in Spanish, did hear several ID's as being "Radio Marti, Estados Unitas"/

          Then once settled in at Key West, I went online to the FCC website and checked 1180 KHz in Florida. ONLY reference was to a mew 1Kw station in Pace, FL. Last I remember Pace is in the Panhandle.

          H'mmmm.........a government authorized AM blowtorch reaching Cuba, yet not in the FCC database? Verrrrry interesting!

          Tom Scanlan

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 7, 2010
            The FCC database need not list USG licenses;
            those are all NTIA's responsibility.
          • Ray_Vaughan_99
            Message 6 of 27 , Mar 7, 2010
              Like all Federal transmitters, I suspect it would be regulated by the NTIA, not the FCC. There is (was?) TV Marti. A channel 13 transmitted from a blimp at night, when power is often off in Cuba. I did a report on it years ago. I remember the now closed FCC office in Miami would constantly monitor the signal level on channel 13 to log when it pointed too far north and caused interference to US stations.

              Radio and TV Marti are little discussed since most Americans don't want to know just how much propaganda we do. It's actually illegal to record or retransmit anything on those stations.

              Ironically, the stations that piss off Cuba are the Miami AM Spanish stations that have commercials that say not only is there bread today, it's on SALE. Radio Rejol is Cuba's attempt to jam the US stations. I don't think they think Radio Marti is worth jamming.

              Ray

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Tom Scanlan <tomandsue@...> wrote:

              > Traveling to Sigsbee Area, Key West NAS, I decided to see if I could find the four towers of Radio Marti. I had previously thought the three towers in Marathon were those of Radio Marti, but a member of this website advised there were four towers, not three. The three tower array are those of a local Marathon AM station, on 1300 KHz.
              >

              > At Cudjoe Key, home of arrostat Fat Albert, I saw what appeared to be four AM towers, adjacent to an assortment of other towers, including a huge log periodic and a few other structures, and Fat Albert on the ground.
              >

              > Scanned all AM frequencies and picked up strong signal on AM 1180, and although not at all fluent in Spanish, did hear several ID's as being "Radio Marti, Estados Unitas"/
              >

              > Then once settled in at Key West, I went online to the FCC website and checked 1180 KHz in Florida. ONLY reference was to a mew 1Kw station in Pace, FL. Last I remember Pace is in the Panhandle.
              >

              > H'mmmm.........a government authorized AM blowtorch reaching Cuba, yet not in the FCC database? Verrrrry interesting!
              >

              > Tom Scanlan

            • Sheldon Daitch
              Message 7 of 27 , Mar 8, 2010
                "It's actually illegal to record or retransmit anything on those stations."

                Really?  How do you figure that?

                If the information at this Wikipedia link is correct:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_y_Televisi%C3%B3n_Mart%C3%AD

                Radio Marti is or was being rebroadcast by a Miami station.  Yes, the
                article is incorrect, since Delano is no longer an operational transmitting
                facility.

                It may be that WAQI is still running the Radio Marti program, based on
                a quick Google search on:

                  WAQI Radio Marti

                The Smith-Mundt Act does control the dissemination of material
                produced by the Voice of America and other related BBG programming,
                however, in a nut shell Smith-Mundt prohibits the USG to "broadcast"
                to the US, but does not prohibit someone from recording BBG
                programming.

                73
                Sheldon