Re: Asnebumskit Hill

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2010
      Thanks Alex, I figured there was more rumor than fact, but was not sure.
      I live about 45 minutes from Mount Tom and I've been nearly everywhere
      on and around that mountain and heard rumors about the summit and some
      of the access roads but nothing I've yet seen indicates a
      gov't/AT&T/military presence.

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Alex Pennace <alex@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:17:36PM -0000, Jason wrote:
      > > Just curious if anyone knows whether there was a bunker at the AT&T
      > > facility on Asnebumskit Hill in Paxton, MA and what the facility's
      > > purpose was. I was up there only once a few years ago (I live over
      an
      > > hour west of Paxton and I don't get to Worcester County very often)
      and
      > > I saw what I thought were air vents near the tower the last time I
      was
      > > there. I've heard alot of stories about a bunker there, also rumors
      of
      > > an Air Defense facility as well. Wish I'd gone there during winter
      so I
      > > could see if the parking area was plowed clean!
      >
      > I grew up nearby, just down the road from WSRS and WTAG, and been to
      > that site numerous times. As far as I could ascertain, it never had a
      > bunker, but was simply a microwave relay station.
      >
      > Never heard of any air defense installation on there at all.

    • Bill Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2010
        Asnebumskit has a long history in FM broadcasating as part of the Yankee network. Some of it is here: www.ggninfo.com
         I have been up there too many times to count in varying capacities and I haven't seen any AT&T type facilities, except the afore mentioned microwave site. It is a very popular site for land mobile, the FAA, several broadcasters, NOAA weather radio and the everpresent cellular stuff among others.

        Bill