Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Low-quality video of WAYNE, PA switching center

  • Timothy V. Peters
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010
      Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex (Grand
      Avenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels. It was very
      impressive when it ran. Most of the rest (there were 6-8 others in the
      Complex) were older (even though this was in the 60's) Buda units. They
      were all replaced in the late 70's (I think) by Solar gas/diesel turbines.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy V. Peters" <tvp@...> wrote:

        > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex (Grand
        > Avenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels. It was very
        > impressive when it ran. Most of the rest (there were 6-8 others in the
        > Complex) were older (even though this was in the 60's) Buda units. They
        > were all replaced in the late 70's (I think) by Solar gas/diesel turbines.

        Thanks, I figured LA and/or SF may have them;prolly NY & CGO also.

        Youtube had some video's of the 567 loco versions cranking up.
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
          > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex
          > (GrandAvenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels.
          > It was very impressive when it ran.

          We had one as a pipeline booster. It was quite impressive, but I hope ATT's
          used air starters; we had recurring issues burning out the electric ones on it.
        • Pj
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
            I seem to recall from a past thread years ago that the major MW junction called Little City here in CT had an EMD engine. I believed it was also manned as a matienece center for the area. IIRC it was going to be removed but would have required knocking down an entire wall.
            Sent from the Blackberry

            > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex
            > (GrandAvenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels.
            > It was very impressive when it ran.

            We had one as a pipeline booster. It was quite impressive, but I hope ATT's
            used air starters; we had recurring issues burning out the electric ones on it.

          • Mike Cowen
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
              I'm much more familiar with the EMD diesels in
              railroad service. In that use, the "starter" was
              the field winding in the main generator. With
              good batteries, they cranked over very
              well. I've never seen another type of electric
              starter used on a 567, and only one air
              starter. For those that may not know, the EMD
              2-stroke diesels (567, 645, 710) get their name
              from the displacement per cylinder (in cubic
              inches). On a 567, this is an 8.5" piston with a
              10" stroke. The number of cylinders ranges from
              6 (567) to 20 (710), with 12 & 16 being most
              common for the 567. Rule of thumb for non-turbo
              567s is 100 HP/cylinder. Many variations were
              produced between 1935 and 1966, when the 645 and
              the use of a rectified alternator became the new
              standard. By comparison, a current 20 cylinder
              710 w/ turbo produces 5000 HP, or 3.7MW. It's
              really something to see and hear if you blow the
              intake oil seal on the turbo. It's in runaway
              with no "controlled" way to shut them down. The
              preferred method in that scenario is to throw a
              wrench into the turbo before the entire engine is destroyed.

              Mike

              At 10:45 AM 2/16/2010, you wrote:

              > > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex
              > > (GrandAvenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels.
              > > It was very impressive when it ran.
              >
              >We had one as a pipeline booster. It was quite impressive, but I hope ATT's
              >used air starters; we had recurring issues
              >burning out the electric ones on it.

            • Tim Fox
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                Good evening Folks ---------------- as memory serves me from a couple 1964 tours of the AT&T-LL Norway Regional Switching Center there were either 2 or 3 of these "locomotive" type generator plants in the basement. At least that's what Floyd Ryberg (my tour-guide) referred to them as. Massive -- impressive!

                Tim Fox