Re: [coldwarcomms] Low-quality video of WAYNE, PA switching center

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 14, 2010
      Kind of hard to see - but I know of many sites that AT&T has
      not owned for 18 years where they still do snow removal, still have
      active telephone service, electrical, etc.

      Not sure if snow removal would be a good indication of current use.

      Don't take your organs to heaven,
      heaven knows we need them down here!

      > Note that the drive into the underground entrance across the road has been
      > plowed immediately after the snowstorm.
      >
      > http://tinypic.com/r/20trw9t/6

    • Mark J. Cuccia
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 14, 2010
        Blake Bowers <bbowers at mozarks.com> wrote:

        > Kind of hard to see - but I know of many sites that AT&T has not
        > owned for 18 years where they still do snow removal, still have
        > active telephone service, electrical, etc. Not sure if snow removal
        > would be a good indication of current use.

        According to recent lists I have, the CLEC-side of AT&T has a couple
        of 5ESS switches at Wayne PA (60 West Avenue):
        WAYNPALADS0
        WAYNPALADS3

        I don't know if AT&T-LL still has the Wayne PA 4ESS (dating back to
        1977) still in service, WAYNPALA42T, but the 4ESS does, or at least
        did, double as an AT&T-CLEC switch, WAYNPALADS2. The "NSN", which was
        quoted as the trailer at the end of recorded announcements from that
        4ESS was/is 101-T post 1996 or so. (It probably quoted 215-1T or maybe
        with 1994 610-1T, until AT&T-LL began using NSNs/Network Switch Numbers
        for recorded announcement ID codes circa 1996/97, instead of the
        previous use of digits of the area code followed by a single digit).

        The 4A Crossbar switch at Wayne PA was one of the dozen or so Class-1
        Regional switches of AT&T and Trans-Canada Telephone back in the heyday
        of the hierarchical switched Long Lines network of the 1960s/70s, its
        CLLI having been WAYNPALA41T and having recorded announcement trailer
        215-1.

        As for the two 5Es currently at Wayne PA, it's also possible that one
        or the other or both are used as AT&T-LL toll switches in the AT&T-LL
        network. They have enhanced the long-haul toll network with many
        Lucent/Alcatel 5ESS switches and Nortel DMS-250s over the past ten
        years, as AT&T-LL slowly retires the 4ESS from the switched Long Lines
        network. In Summer 1999, AT&T-LL did add a 5ESS switch at Wayne PA for
        toll functions, WAYNPALA43T, and this might also be the -DS0 or -DS3
        5ESS AT&T-CLEC switch at Wayne PA. Trailers for recordings on the
        recent 5Es in the AT&T-LL toll network are usually of the form
        (NPA)-(x)L. I home on a 5ESS at Baton Rouge LA for toll purposes now
        (although the 4E toll switch 012-T still exists there), and I get
        recordings that end "225-9L" sometimes, instead of "012-T" anymore.

        mjc
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <staplesdcc@...> wrote:

          > Note that the drive into the underground entrance across the road has been plowed immediately after the snowstorm.
          >
          > http://tinypic.com/r/20trw9t/6

          Snippet from message #1447:

          "when I was 17 years old (28 yrs ago), a friend of mine and I went on an ATT stockholders tour of the Wayne, PA facility, a large coax and MW hub, major switching facility, and ops control/monitoring center. Our tour guide was a Bell of PA VP. We saw the then operating crossbar switch, lots of MW, and the brand new ESS that looked very futuristic from our view behind darkened glass. We asked about everything, including a door marked no admittance, authorized personnel only, etc. We were told by the VP that it was the "government cable room", and that he could discuss it no further"

          Cables to a COG site; or encryption gear like Ladner?

          I think Wayne was the home of the LL SCAMIS(schedule,control,maintenanceinformation system) used for private line/special services;one of the 1st internal uses of DDS.

          I've heard Wayne had 1 or 2 of the largest diesel gen sets in the Bell System,near 1MW?
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010

            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <staplesdcc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Note that the drive into the underground entrance across the road has been plowed immediately after the snowstorm.
            > >
            > > http://tinypic.com/r/20trw9t/6
            >
            > Snippet from message #1447:
            >
            > "when I was 17 years old (28 yrs ago), a friend of mine and I went on an ATT stockholders tour of the Wayne, PA facility, a large coax and MW hub, major switching facility, and ops control/monitoring center. Our tour guide was a Bell of PA VP. We saw the then operating crossbar switch, lots of MW, and the brand new ESS that looked very futuristic from our view behind darkened glass. We asked about everything, including a door marked no admittance, authorized personnel only, etc. We were told by the VP that it was the "government cable room", and that he could discuss it no further"
            >
            > Cables to a COG site; or encryption gear like Ladner?
            >
            > I think Wayne was the home of the LL SCAMIS(schedule,control,maintenanceinformation system) used for private line/special services;one of the 1st internal uses of DDS.
            >
            > I've heard Wayne had 1 or 2 of the largest diesel gen sets in the Bell System,near 1MW?

            I just heard from a source that some locomotive gen sets were used by the Bell System; checking some old power plant docs I found a list showing the GM(EMD) 567c rated at 750KW and 1000KW, no KS number like the smaller GM units, so I suspect very few were procured.
          • widebandit
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010
              Interesting... Building looks like a mini version of White Plains regional center....waw...

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" <staplesdcc@...> wrote:

              > Note that the drive into the underground entrance across the road has been plowed immediately after the snowstorm.
              >
              > http://tinypic.com/r/20trw9t/6

            • Timothy V. Peters
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010
                Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex (Grand
                Avenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels. It was very
                impressive when it ran. Most of the rest (there were 6-8 others in the
                Complex) were older (even though this was in the 60's) Buda units. They
                were all replaced in the late 70's (I think) by Solar gas/diesel turbines.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 15, 2010
                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy V. Peters" <tvp@...> wrote:

                  > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex (Grand
                  > Avenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels. It was very
                  > impressive when it ran. Most of the rest (there were 6-8 others in the
                  > Complex) were older (even though this was in the 60's) Buda units. They
                  > were all replaced in the late 70's (I think) by Solar gas/diesel turbines.

                  Thanks, I figured LA and/or SF may have them;prolly NY & CGO also.

                  Youtube had some video's of the 567 loco versions cranking up.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                    > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex
                    > (GrandAvenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels.
                    > It was very impressive when it ran.

                    We had one as a pipeline booster. It was quite impressive, but I hope ATT's
                    used air starters; we had recurring issues burning out the electric ones on it.
                  • Pj
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                      I seem to recall from a past thread years ago that the major MW junction called Little City here in CT had an EMD engine. I believed it was also manned as a matienece center for the area. IIRC it was going to be removed but would have required knocking down an entire wall.
                      Sent from the Blackberry

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                        I'm much more familiar with the EMD diesels in
                        railroad service. In that use, the "starter" was
                        the field winding in the main generator. With
                        good batteries, they cranked over very
                        well. I've never seen another type of electric
                        starter used on a 567, and only one air
                        starter. For those that may not know, the EMD
                        2-stroke diesels (567, 645, 710) get their name
                        from the displacement per cylinder (in cubic
                        inches). On a 567, this is an 8.5" piston with a
                        10" stroke. The number of cylinders ranges from
                        6 (567) to 20 (710), with 12 & 16 being most
                        common for the 567. Rule of thumb for non-turbo
                        567s is 100 HP/cylinder. Many variations were
                        produced between 1935 and 1966, when the 645 and
                        the use of a rectified alternator became the new
                        standard. By comparison, a current 20 cylinder
                        710 w/ turbo produces 5000 HP, or 3.7MW. It's
                        really something to see and hear if you blow the
                        intake oil seal on the turbo. It's in runaway
                        with no "controlled" way to shut them down. The
                        preferred method in that scenario is to throw a
                        wrench into the turbo before the entire engine is destroyed.

                        Mike

                        At 10:45 AM 2/16/2010, you wrote:

                        > > Out here on the left coast in PT&T country, the LA01 complex
                        > > (GrandAvenue) had one of the GM 1MW 16-cylinder diesels.
                        > > It was very impressive when it ran.
                        >
                        >We had one as a pipeline booster. It was quite impressive, but I hope ATT's
                        >used air starters; we had recurring issues
                        >burning out the electric ones on it.

                      • Tim Fox
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010
                          Good evening Folks ---------------- as memory serves me from a couple 1964 tours of the AT&T-LL Norway Regional Switching Center there were either 2 or 3 of these "locomotive" type generator plants in the basement. At least that's what Floyd Ryberg (my tour-guide) referred to them as. Massive -- impressive!

                          Tim Fox