Re: [coldwarcomms] FW: Project Azorian: The CIA's Declassified History of the Glomar Explorer

  • david.dauphinee@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2010
      Cool find. I've always been fascinated with the Glomar Explorer. The whole thing was straight out of a sci-fi movie.

      Dave
      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      National Security Archive Update, February 12, 2010

      Project Azorian: The CIA's Declassified History of the Glomar Explorer

      For more information contact:
      Matthew Aid - 202/994-7000

      http://www.nsarchive.org

      Washington, DC, February 12, 2010 - For the first time, the Central
      Intelligence Agency (CIA) has declassified substantive information on one of
      its most secret and sensitive schemes, "Project Azorian," the Agency
      codename for its ambitious plan to raise a sunken Soviet submarine from the
      floor of the Pacific Ocean in order to retrieve its secrets. Today the
      National Security Archive publishes "Project Azorian: The Story of the
      Hughes Glomar Explorer," a 50-page article from the fall 1985 edition of the
      Agency's in-house journal Studies in Intelligence. Written by a participant
      in the operation whose identity remains classified, the article discusses
      the conception and planning of the retrieval effort and the creation of a
      special ship, the Glomar Explorer, which raised portions of the submarine in
      August 1974. The National Security Archive had submitted a Freedom of
      Information Act (FOIA) request to the CIA for the document on December 12,
      2007.

      National Security Archive director Tom Blanton commented that "the Navy
      alternative to the Glomar Explorer--investigation by a deep sea
      submersible--sounds more convincing than the claim in the Studies in
      Intelligence article that Project Azorian advanced the cutting edge of deep
      sea exploration the way the CIA did on aerial and satellite reconnaissance.
      To me, Glomar resembles the Bay of Pigs more than U-2 or Corona. On the
      latter, they brought in the best people, Ed Land and the Skunk Works, on the
      former, they only talked to themselves."

      Also published today for the first time are recently declassified White
      House memoranda of conversations from 1975 which recount the reactions of
      President Ford and cabinet members to ongoing news of press leaks about the
      Glomar Explorer, including Seymour Hersh's expos´┐Ż in The New York Times on
      March 19, 1975.

      Follow the link below for more information:

      http://www.nsarchive.org

      THE NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVE is an independent non-governmental research
      institute and library located at The George Washington University in
      Washington, D.C. The Archive collects and publishes declassified documents
      acquired through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). A tax-exempt public
      charity, the Archive receives no U.S. government funding; its budget is
      supported by publication royalties and donations from foundations and
      individuals.

      PRIVACY NOTICE The National Security Archive does not and will never share
      the names or e-mail addresses of its subscribers with any other
      organization. Once a year, we will write you and ask for your financial
      support. We may also ask you for your ideas for Freedom of Information
      requests, documentation projects, or other issues that the Archive should
      take on. We would welcome your input, and any information you care to share
      with us about your special interests. But we do not sell or rent any
      information about subscribers to any other party.