Aerostat/TARS

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4 11:22 AM
      This tethered balloon platform has been mentioned a couple of times in this group, and was used in the Cold War era as part of our Early Warning & SIGINT; here is an additional page on them with photos.

      http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/airdef/tars.htm
    • Jim Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7 6:18 AM
        FYI, the aerostat at Cudjoe Key, FL was referred to locally as "Fat Albert".  While access to the facility was tightly controlled, it was something you could hardly miss driving down US1.

        Jim Johnson
        Grand Haven, MI

        This tethered balloon platform has been mentioned a couple of times in this group, and was used in the Cold War era as part of our Early Warning & SIGINT; here is an additional page on them with photos.

        http://www.fas org/nuke/ guide/usa/ airdef/tars. htm

      • Tom Scanlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7 6:36 AM
          Fat Albert was flying last January, and I'm expecting to see it again in a few days. When I was in Marathon for five days and at Sigsbee for a few weeks last year I repeatedly attempted to pickup and VHF or UHF TV signals that might be originating from it, but couldn't detect any. I recall that three years ago, however, I did receive a rather good picture on VHF Channel 13. Broadcast was in Spanish. I doubt if Cuba has gone digital TV!
          Perhaps Fat Albert is now being used only for reception of signals?

          Tom Scanlan

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2013
            This environmental report on the Morgan City LA TARS site contains many photos & details; while this was for drug interdiction I'd guess the early warning TARS facilities were quite similar:

            http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a530749.pdf