Sage Direction Center Ft Lee, Va(Petersburg 50)

  • ozob99@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2001
      Anyone recall the tactical name for this center?..i'm thinking
      "Wedding Bells"..also looking for the site, gap filler or heavy
      radar,
      that had the height finder(nodding idiot)....was it Cape Charles AFS?
      (Z56 or P56).
    • hooligan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2001
        In a message dated 4/5/2001 10:43:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        ozob99@... writes:

        Anyone recall the tactical name for this center?..i'm thinking
        "Wedding Bells"..also looking for the site, gap filler or heavy
        radar,
        that had the height finder(nodding idiot)....was it Cape Charles AFS?
        (Z56 or P56).

         I used to hear it on NORAD HF & UHF SATCOM circuits in the early/mid-1980s
        ID'ing as FERTILE.

         Also check http://www.radomes.org

         Tim
      • mikemeredith2@compuserve.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2001
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., ozob99@y... wrote:
          > Anyone recall the tactical name for this center?..i'm thinking
          > "Wedding Bells"..also looking for the site, gap filler or heavy
          > radar,
          > that had the height finder(nodding idiot)....was it Cape Charles
          AFS?
          > (Z56 or P56).

          www.radomes.org lists 3 callsigns for Fort Lee: Wedding Bells,
          Fertile, and Sardine (and Jitney for Cape Charles). And I believe
          you are correct that the height finder was at Cape Charles (P56).
          See http://www.radomes.org/acwrons/search.html
        • ozob99@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2001
            --- In coldwarcomms@y..., mikemeredith2@c... wrote:
            > --- In coldwarcomms@y..., ozob99@y... wrote:
            > > Anyone recall the tactical name for this center?..i'm thinking
            > > "Wedding Bells"..also looking for the site, gap filler or heavy
            > > radar,
            > > that had the height finder(nodding idiot)....was it Cape Charles
            > AFS?
            > > (Z56 or P56).
            >
            > www.radomes.org lists 3 callsigns for Fort Lee: Wedding Bells,
            > Fertile, and Sardine (and Jitney for Cape Charles). And I believe
            > you are correct that the height finder was at Cape Charles (P56).
            > See http://www.radomes.org/acwrons/search.html

            OK thanks...A.H. Grobmeier just clued me in on that site,lots of good
            stuff there...as i was telling him,P50 had an internal fire that
            almost destroyed the place in the 70's i believe.