Buckingham,Va Tropo

  • ozob99@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
      Anyone have a pic or details on the AT&T Buckingham Va. tropo
      repeater?..i believe it was on the Charlottesville#2-Chatham hop.I'm
      told its barely visible off US60 in Buckingham co.??
    • albertjlafrance@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
        I've been there - in fact I have some pictures of the thing I've been
        planning to post. Do you have any information about its purpose?

        Albert

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
          --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
          > I've been there - in fact I have some pictures of the thing I've
          been
          > planning to post. Do you have any information about its purpose?
          >
          > Albert
          >
          > In a message dated 4/5/2001 1:11:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > ozob99@y... writes:
          >
          > > Anyone have a pic or details on the AT&T Buckingham Va. tropo
          > > repeater?..i believe it was on the Charlottesville#2-Chatham
          hop.I'm
          > > told its barely visible off US60 in Buckingham co.??
          I understand it was just a repeater,no demod down to
          interconnect,between Charlottesville#2 & Chatham....there was an
          article in the trade press in the 60's that told of an at&t contract
          for REL2600 tropo gear at undisclosed locations; with a pic of
          hardened antennae.
        • albertjlafrance@cs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
            I agree that Buckingham was probably just a repeater; I saw no evidence of
            terrestrial microwave or other broadband links at the site - just a small
            aerial phone cable.

            Do you recall which trade publication mentioned the AT&T contract?

            I've heard the name REL before - didn't they make the tropo gear for White
            Alice?

            On my Bell System web page (http://bellsystem.homestead.com), in the
            "Documents" section, under "Protection from Nuclear Blasts", there's an
            article titled "Operation Survival" reprinted in the Aug. 1969 Electronics
            World magazine from the Bell Labs Record. It has a photo of a hardened tropo
            reflector and microwave dishes.

            Albert

          • ozob99@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
              --- In coldwarcomms@y..., albertjlafrance@c... wrote:
              > I agree that Buckingham was probably just a repeater; I saw no
              evidence of
              > terrestrial microwave or other broadband links at the site - just a
              small
              > aerial phone cable.
              >
              > Do you recall which trade publication mentioned the AT&T contract?
              >
              > I've heard the name REL before - didn't they make the tropo gear
              for
              White
              > Alice?
              >
              > On my Bell System web page (http://bellsystem.homestead.com), in
              the
              > "Documents" section, under "Protection from Nuclear Blasts",
              there's
              an
              > article titled "Operation Survival" reprinted in the Aug. 1969
              Electronics
              > World magazine from the Bell Labs Record. It has a photo of a
              hardened tropo
              > reflector and microwave dishes.
              >
              > Albert
              >
              > In a message dated 4/5/2001 1:24:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > ozob99@y... writes:
              >
              > > I understand it was just a repeater,no demod down to
              > > interconnect,between Charlottesville#2 & Chatham....there was an
              > > article in the trade press in the 60's that told of an at&t
              con
              > > for REL2600 tropo gear at undisclosed locations; with a pic of
              > > hardened antennae.

              Radio Engineering Labs(REL),L.I.C.,NY made most of the tropo in that
              era....2500 series vacuum tube, 2600 solid state..lots in Viet
              Nam..Wet Wash,Back Porch...Turkey Trot in europe..& i think the
              longest hop ever,600 miles(12 channels) Goose Bay,Labrador( i think)
              to Thule,Greenland.....I've talked over it & fair fidelity.

              I can't recall the mag..mabe Electronics, Electronic News,Defense
              Electronics..not a consumer mag...1965-8 period...mentioned Long
              Lines, US Govt. & REL.