RE: [coldwarcomms] Rt. 202 question

  • Bill Cobb
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
      There was an Air Defense Radar station on Poor Farm Hill in New Salem. The
      old building is still there today. See this link for more info -

      http://www.radomes.org/cgi-bin/museum/acwinfo2x.cgi?site="New+Salem,+MA"
      <http://www.radomes.org/cgi-bin/museum/acwinfo2x.cgi?site=>
      &key=NewSalemMA&pic=NewSalemMA&doc=NewSalemMA
      <http://www.radomes.org/cgi-bin/museum/acwinfo2x.cgisite=>

      Bill

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
        Thanks for reply Bill, I was not sure how many stories were factual and
        how much was just rumor. I guess the remoteness of that stretch of 202
        could contribute to lots of speculation regarding the ease of "putting
        stuff" in place. Reminds me of the stories about Prescott Penninsula,
        but all I know for sure is that there was a radio telescope out there,
        no cold war stuff that I know of.

      • long-lines@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2009
          Probably the Amherst-Wendell cable ... ?

          However a transcontinental L carrier cable passes right through there (Shutesbury, New Salem) on the Littleton-Chesterfield section; ironically within a few thousand few of Poor Hill. I go back and forth to CT this way and have interest in this area; feel free to contact me if you have further interest in this area.

          c.

          -------------- Original message from "quiet_cool1986" <quiet_cool1986@...>: --------------

          I'm in western MA and I've heard lots of stories about the stretch of
          Rt. 202 from Orange to Belchertown, specifically stories about early
          warning radars and other air defense communications facilities. All I've
          found is an AT&T cable trail going thru Wendell. Does anyone have any
          good info on the possible facilities which existed?

        • Jason Bourne
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2009
            actually i found the air defense radar site on an access road off of west road in new salem, interesting place but kinda spooky even in daytime. i also went down a side road off of Rt. 122 going into new salem and found an AT&T repeater hut with the door ajar so was able to check it out. vault in floor was securely locked of course!

            ------------ -- Original message from "quiet_cool1986" <quiet_cool1986@ yahoo.com>: ------------ --

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 21, 2009
              I'd be interested in a more specific location/directions if you are comfortable sharing (either on or off list).

              I have been to three repeater huts E of US202 off/N of Rt 122 that are on the old transcontinental L carrier route between Littleton and Chesterfield (info as of 3/2009):

              Chesterfield L8E (New Salem) - 1.4 mi E of US 202 to Gate #31 - painted red, hut lock jammed unable to open.

              Chesterfield L9E (Petersham) - 1.25 mi N of Rt 122 on Athol Rd - lock has been removed by force - vault dry.

              Chesterfield L10E (Petersham) - 1.4 mi E of 32 on Rt 101 - lock has been removed and a hasp installed - no lock - private storage.

              I don't remember locking the L9E vault, but I might have. If this is not the hut you were in I'd be interested in the location of your hut (L8E & L9E are the only two along Rt 122 I am aware of).

              On the other hand L7E is somewhere S of Poor Farm Hill o/off West Street; but that is some distance from Rt 122.
              c.

              -------------- Original message from Jason Bourne <quiet_cool1986@...>: --------------