Re: 17B Toll Testboard Photo's

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "jhaynesatalumni" <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

      > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Two views of this 2W toll testboard usually associated with SXS,
      > > http://family.webshots.com/photo/2719110900090170478RFaPJo
      > >
      > > http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2010647430090170478Mqlbmo
      > >

      > I can view the first one OK, but the second one brings up a nearly
      > blank page that says it can only be saved by friends.

      It's still coming up for me, but you can't right click & save or save as; if you wanted to save it I think there's a workaround for pulling these flash pics off a URL but have forgot how; try a different browser, I'm using firefox.
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
        I just remembered...hit "print screen" with photo showing, then paste in MS paint or equivelent, & save as a .JPG.

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "jhaynesatalumni" <jhhaynes@...> wrote:

        > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "OZOB99" <ozob99@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Two views of this 2W toll testboard usually associated with SXS,
        > > http://family.webshots.com/photo/2719110900090170478RFaPJo
        > >
        > > http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2010647430090170478Mqlbmo
        > >

        > I can view the first one OK, but the second one brings up a nearly
        > blank page that says it can only be saved by friends.

      • John Young
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
          Down and dirty: do a screen shot, Shift+Print Screen, paste into
          a graphics program, then trim to fit the photo to redact the filthy
          pictures or nsaty letters to your ex-sweetie or or other undisclosables
          in nearby windows.
        • Nathaniel D. Watson
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
            Were these 2 links to the same picture, or are the 2 different shots of the
            test board? As others have encountered, I'm only able to load the first one.

            Here is the direct URL to the first photo if anyone wants to save it (it
            *is* "right-clickable"):

            http://image58.webshots.com/58/1/10/90/2719110900090170478RFaPJo_fs.jpg

            Nathan

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
              Do you happen to know what location this photo was in?

              Also, do you or anyone else have any photos of the 17C testboard (4W, for
              #4A XBAR)? My father worked with those and I'd sure love to see a picture of
              one.

              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Nathaniel D. Watson" <watson061502@...> wrote:

                > Were these 2 links to the same picture, or are the 2 different shots of the
                > test board? As others have encountered, I'm only able to load the first one.
                >
                > Here is the direct URL to the first photo if anyone wants to save it (it
                > *is* "right-clickable"):
                >
                > http://image58.webshots.com/58/1/10/90/2719110900090170478RFaPJo_fs.jpg
                >

                > Nathan

                They are 2 diff views of same testboard, in Thomasville,Ga I believe; both open in IE & Firefox & Opera for me.

                To answer your follow up, I've never found a 17C photo online but I may have one somewhere,if I do I'll post it. From a distance the 17B & C look alike but closer up you would see the jack fields are larger since there are 2 jacks(T&R)per trunk + a lockout jack, and the cords are double with 2 plugs.

                A good page showing the 4A switch components is:

                www.flickr.com/photos/9479603@N02/sets/72157622286260505/
              • Nathaniel D. Watson
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
                  I finally got the other photo to open for me, and I have direct links to
                  both photo's included below for anyone who'd like them:

                  http://image58.webshots.com/58/1/10/90/2719110900090170478RFaPJo_fs.jpg

                  http://image58.webshots.com/58/6/47/43/2010647430090170478Mqlbmo_fs.jpg

                  Nathan

                  on 11/4/09 9:26 PM, Nathaniel D. Watson at watson061502@... wrote:

                  > Were these 2 links to the same picture, or are the 2 different shots of the
                  > test board? As others have encountered, I'm only able to load the first one.
                  >
                  > Here is the direct URL to the first photo if anyone wants to save it (it *is*
                  > "right-clickable"):
                  >
                  > http://image58.webshots.com/58/1/10/90/2719110900090170478RFaPJo_fs.jpg
                  >

                  > Nathan
                  >

                  > on 11/3/09 3:51 PM, OZOB99 at ozob99@... wrote:
                  >
                  >> Two views of this 2W toll testboard usually associated with SXS, XBT, & #1/5
                  >> Xbar switches on the PSN up to the late 1970's.The switch relay activation
                  >> jacks for the Engineered Military Circuits of the 1950's-1960's were in these
                  >> testboards at involved cities;also the activation jacks for Emergency
                  >> Official
                  >> Circuits, and emergency alternate routing of VF telegraph carrier
                  >> systems(TRE).There was a similar 2W testboard(17E) used with CCSA(common
                  >> controlled switching arrangement) networks.
                  >>
                  >> The more common 4W 17C testboard was associated with the #4A switch.
                  >>
                  >> I wonder if the "JR testboard man" is still with the company.
                  >>

                  >> http://family.webshots.com/photo/2719110900090170478RFaPJo
                  >>
                  >> http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2010647430090170478Mqlbmo

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Or, to reduce the amount of trimming, use Alt+Print Screen to get just the active window.

                    Frank

                    --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, John Young <jya@...> wrote:

                    > Down and dirty: do a screen shot, Shift+Print Screen, paste into
                    > a graphics program, then trim to fit the photo to redact the filthy
                    > pictures or nsaty letters to your ex-sweetie or or other undisclosables
                    > in nearby windows.

                  • jhaynesatalumni
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 5, 2009
                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Nathaniel D. Watson" <watson061502@...> wrote:

                      > I finally got the other photo to open for me, and I have direct links to
                      > both photo's included below for anyone who'd like them:
                      >

                      > http://image58.webshots.com/58/1/10/90/2719110900090170478RFaPJo_fs.jpg
                      >
                      > http://image58.webshots.com/58/6/47/43/2010647430090170478Mqlbmo_fs.jpg

                      On both of those I get the message Forbidden: you do not have
                      permission to access xxxx on this server.
                    • Nathan Watson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 5, 2009
                        Are you trying to load these from work, or someplace that would have a firewall?

                        Also, try using FireFox. Internet Explorer is rather brain-dead.

                        Nathan

                      • tomandsue@pasty.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 5, 2009
                          From 1977 - 1979 I was GM and Director of Engineering for the ABC TV station just down US319 from Thomasville. Thomasville had an old 6-cable coax from the Southern Bell office in downtown Thomasville to an unused building that at one time housed WCTV, Channel 6 which had long since moved its studios to Tallahassee. We installed our own intercity 7GHz microwave to our tower on US319, and the Thomasville Bell coax was re-optimized and used to feed us a signal from WALB in Albany, where they had a local loop to the ABC AT&T national feed. The entire lash-up, with no backup (it was called ETV grade service) was a lot cheaper for all concerned, even though the same radios could have been used to deliver the ABC feed directly to Thomasville. Those tariff's will get you if you're not careful! Many times I was on the phone with Thomasville's test board, asking for various test signals. They were a great bunch to work with. Small world.

                          Tom Scanlan

                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009
                            IE8 is more forthcoming: "This website requires you to log in."

                            If you want to mess with it, you might try joining webshots.com, if that's an option.

                            Frank

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009
                              Any version of IE is going to be brain-dead.

                              That aside, if anyone really wants these photos, email me privately and I'll send them as attachments, or put them on a real photo hosting site if there is enough demand.

                              I'm able to get these links to work using FireFox and other standards-compliant browsers, on both a Mac and a PC at different locations. If someone is trying to load these from a workplace, you're likely running into a firewall.

                              Again, let me know if you'd like a copy of these pictures and I'll work something out.

                              Nathan

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 6, 2009
                                I'm using Firefox and Linux.
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 7, 2009
                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Nathaniel D. Watson" <watson061502@...> wrote:

                                  > Do you happen to know what location this photo was in?
                                  >
                                  > Also, do you or anyone else have any photos of the 17C testboard (4W, for
                                  > #4A XBAR)? My father worked with those and I'd sure love to see a picture of
                                  > one.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Nathan

                                  I found a photo of the original 17C testboard lineup in Philadelphia, which I can send to those interested.