Re: [coldwarcomms] New pictures posted

  • albertjlafrance@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      John,

      Welcome to the list, and thanks for sharing those pictures. I'm very
      interested in the former AT&T radio and cable networks, and enjoy seeing what
      the various sites look like.

      I see that the horn-reflector antenna shown in your photo Dsc00276.jpg is the
      List 9BD type. "List 9" is the basic, unhardened antenna (identifiable by
      the exposed reinforcing ribs on the sides), and the "BD" suffix refers to the
      14-edge blinders attached to both sides of the aperture. This optional
      feature improved side-lobe rejection and suppression.

      In your duplex.jpg photo, the tower extension above the antenna deck may have
      supported UHF/VHF vertical antennas for company maintenance radio (TMRS)
      and/or mobile telephone (IMTS, etc.). You can see an another example of such
      an extension, with some antennas remaining, at the Garden City, VA station.
      There are photos of that station on my Bell System web page, in the "Places"
      section.

      Albert LaFrance