Re: Dish Antennas in MD

  • cness@gloster.vivid.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
      --- In coldwarcomms@y..., "Robert" <coldski@e...> wrote:
      > On the Maryland side of the Potomac River there are two large dish
      > antennas that appear to be out of service—one pointed up and
      one
      > pointed inland. I can see them from the river. They are down river
      > from Indian Head, MD and across (and down) the river from Fairview
      > Beach, VA. They are maybe 8 miles up river from the Nice/301
      > bridge. I would like to know the name of the facility, what these
      > were used for and how to get to them via road.

      I believe what you are referring to is the U.S. Naval Research Lab's
      Maryland Point Antenna Range 38º 22.4' N, 77º 13.9' W.
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
        Thanks for your attempts to help me determine the facility I wrote
        about earlier (two large dishes in MD, on Potomac River, south of
        Indian Head, across and down river from Fairview Beach, VA, and about
        8 miles up river from Nice/302 bridge).

        My curiosity has only increased. I have located a satalite image of
        the facility at (complete from http to =0)

        http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
        S=11&T=1&X=762&Y=10624&Z=18&W=0

        This is a good web site for satelite photos of most of the US.
        Please look at this phote and let me know what you think.

        Thanks, Robert