Long Lines Plans for Survivable Communications

  • albertjlafrance@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
      I've just uploaded an interesting Bell System document from 1974, titled
      "Long Lines Plans for Survivable Communications".

      Each of the 16 pages is a separate file; the first page is:

      http://bellsystem1.homestead.com/files/ISS001780201LL/ISS-001-780-201-LL_p01.j

      pg

      Change the last number (p02.jpg, p03.jpg ... p16.jpg) to view subsequent
      pages.

      Albert
    • combatsent@qwest.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
        It says that page does not exist

        [www.newaydirect.com]

        --
        Bill Boltinghouse
        ex-USAF Security Service

        EC-47 History (Vietnam ARDF Mission)
        http://www.ec47.com/

        QTH: Council Bluffs Iowa --- 12 miles north of Offutt AFB

        http://combatsent.users3.50megs.com/

        All web sites are linked!
      • albertjlafrance@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2001
          It looks like the last couple of characters of the URL wrapped around to a
          second line when the message posted; I'll give the URL in two short lines
          that you can combine before pasting into your browser. Hope this works:

        • MACCFound@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 25, 2001
            In a message dated 3/25/01 4:48:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            albertjlafrance@... writes:

            << Hope this works: >>
            This was terrific!
          • Dave Emery
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 25, 2001
              On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 12:36:41AM -0500, albertjlafrance@... wrote:
              > I've just uploaded an interesting Bell System document from 1974, titled
              > "Long Lines Plans for Survivable Communications".
              >
              > Each of the 16 pages is a separate file; the first page is:
              >
              > http://bellsystem1.homestead.com/files/ISS001780201LL/ISS-001-780-201-LL_p01.j
              >
              > pg
              >
              > Change the last number (p02.jpg, p03.jpg ... p16.jpg) to view subsequent
              > pages.

              Very interesting.

              But it is a bit unsettling to see how times have changed since
              1974...

              > 4.12 The threat of a chemical or bacteriological attack is considered
              > to have diminished to such an extent that is no longer advisable to provide
              > costly protective measures, such as the CBR filter system, against these
              > agents.

              Now it is a slow death of some dread plague that is probable,
              not the quick end in a flash we grew up with....

              I must say that the overall tone of the document seems to be
              "lets save money by being realistic about the threat and planning
              around it rather than spending for brute force hardening". Seems
              like almost a reaction to the late 60's era of extremely expensive
              hardened up the ying yang undergrounds... I think that most of them
              had been constructed by 1974...

              Another interesting note is the many references to super
              hardened (beyond 50 PSI) facilities built "at the request of the
              customer". I wonder if some of the facilities we know about were
              actually hardened even beyond 50 PSI...

              --
              Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
              PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 25, 2001
                Would someone please paste the correct link here!

                [www.debticated.com]

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 25, 2001
                  A number of people have reported that the document can't be accessed. I'm
                  going to try uploading it again to a shorter URLs, or add HTML code for
                  navigation so you don't have to enter the URL directly. Please stand by -
                  sorry for the problems.

                  Albert
                • albertjlafrance@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2001
                    I just wanted to make sure that everyone who's interested has been able to
                    access the document. If you experienced problems with the "direct" URL I
                    first posted, you should be able to view the document by going to
                    http://bellsystem.homestead.com and navigating to the "Documents" page, where
                    there's a link to the document.

                    If you're still not able to view it, please let me know and I'll get it to
                    you by alternate means.