Re: fiber optic trunks

  • Paul J Zawada
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2001
      KMI Corporation publishes all sorts of Fiber Optic market data,
      including maps. Like most publicly available maps, they don't
      give you exact placement, but they give more information than
      what's available at most other places. Check out the web page
      at: http://www.kmicorp.com/maps/northamerican.htm Unfortunately
      they are so expensive you may not be able to afford them... I
      think they start at $300 each. (They must have to pay a lot of
      cartographers to walk around the country side looking for fiber.
      :-)

      There is plenty of literature on troubleshooting and procedures.
      If you look on your favorite book-selling web site, you may
      want to narrow your search a little since "fiber optics" will
      encompass a lot of different things. Check out topics like
      SONET, Outside [cable] Plant, Wave Division Multiplexing, etc.

      You may also be able to get subscriptions to trade magazines
      like Lightwave ( http://www.light-wave.com )or Outside Plant
      Magazine ( http://www.ospmag.com/ ).

      Good Luck

      --zawada