Re: Possible L Main Stations

    Message 1 of 47 , May 5, 1999
      Mark,

      >I have obtained a list of possible L Carrier Main Stations (which are
      still
      >operated by AT&T for other purposes).
      >
      >Can anyone verify any of these?

      - Sweetwater, TX
      - Gadsden, AL
      - Hoffman Estates, IL

      Those three are new to me.

      - Bedminster NJ

      Bedminster is AT&T's Network Operations Center. I didn't know it was an
      L-carrier facility, but it would certainly make sense to put an important
      function like the NOC in a protected structure.

      - Falls Church, VA

      I live just outside the city limits of Falls Church. The only AT&T presence
      I'm aware of in the area is an L-carrier "spur line", now fiber-optic,
      which runs from the Dranesville bunker (about 13 mi. to the NW) along Rt. 7
      through Falls Church on its way to an AT&T facility called Arlington 3,
      near the Pentagon and DISA HQ. There is a brick structure on Rt. 7 just
      outside Falls Church which might be a repeater hut. I have to check it
      out; it might be just a pumping station.

      There is a Bell Atlantic CO named "Falls Church". It's actually just
      outside the city limits, on Rt. 29 (Lee Hwy.) in Arlington County. It was
      mentioned once as a possible NTA NS/EP HF station, but I couldn't see any
      antennas. It's an old building, and appears to be just a local switch.

      Further north on Rt. 29 is a big AT&T microwave station called Arlington 2.
      I believe it was a Class 2 or 3 center. It's dead now, but has the usual
      cell site and other miscellaneous antennas. I'm told it was one of two
      major microwave links for DC. I do wonder if it might have been connected
      to the Dranesville spur line. No evidence of an underground facility.

      - Herndon, VA

      Herndon is about 3 mi. SSW of Dranesville. It might have been an alternate
      name, or a mailing address. The main N-S cable should pass through that
      area, so I'll check it out and advise.

      ...Albert
      Message 47 of 47 , May 10, 2015
        On 5/10/15 5:04 PM, farrelmb@... [coldwarcomms] wrote:

        > Try dissolving back and forth between 2002 and 1962. It looks like the
        > southern most house in 1962 was demolished to build the access road.
        > The building that we're looking at appears to be bigger in 1962 than it
        > does in 2002. It looks like just another house. I wonder if this
        > really was a repeater location.

        No guarantees until someone visits the county land records.

        But I noted the county imagery registration is off between years;
        everything shifts.