Re: [coldwarcomms] California Trip

  • Brent Davenport
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2001
      Mike:

      This is a little out of your way, but in Reno, NV there is an old ATT site on
      Peavine Mountain [good graded gravel road easily accessible].

      I saw the tower listed as "undetermined" in a Bell System map that Albert
      LaFrance had posted about a month ago.

      I grew up in Reno and moved from there to Denver 10 years ago--before I was
      really into cold war comms and such, but on trips to that site in the 80's I
      still remembered it as active with a large building--looked to be above ground
      and underground--complete with large venting for what appeared to be the exhaust
      for a very, very large generator.

      Co-located on the site is a transmitter for Channel 4 television [I also used to
      work for Channel 4 as a news assignment editor but never thought to talk to any
      of the engineers that frequently went up there.]

      Anyway, if you get the gambling bug while in SF and just happen to be in Reno,
      it's worth a look.

      Peavine mountain is about 10 miles north of Reno on Highway 395 and the gravel
      road to the top of the mountain is near the Stead exit.

      Regards,
      Brent

      [PS: If you get about 50 miles south of Reno on 395 you could also visit Topaz
      Lake site where the building there had washers for cleaning the fallout off of
      the roof.

      Brent