fiber optic trunks

  • research
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2001
      Hello,
      Does anyone know where I can find information
      about fiber optic telecommunications (specifically
      large fiber optic networks, locations, troubleshooting
      procedures) in the US? I am studying modern
      infrastructure but have little knowledge of fiber
      optic communications.

      Thanks in advance, Ray Newell

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • alafrance
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2001
        Ray,

        Because I don't work in the telecom industry and most of my research is
        related to obsolete networks, I can't offer much first-hand information.
        But my perception is that, of the types of information you're seeking, the
        most difficult to find will be the details of various carriers' facilities.
        I don't think the companies will provide much in the way of specific
        information. Some might offer very general route maps, such as AT&T's U.S.
        IP backbone map, at:

        http://www.att.com/conferences/networld_interop97/sld010.html

        You could check the websites of the various carriers for similar maps.

        If there's any publicly-accessible, central repository of route
        information, I would guess that it would be the FCC. With deregulation of
        the telecom industry, I don't know how much detailed route info they
        receive from the carriers, but it might be worth asking.

        Otherwise, my suggestion for mapping routes would be to start locally.
        Some hints:

        - learn to recognize marker signs and poles for the various carriers, and
        watch for them along public roads. Fiber routes are usually easier to
        trace in suburban and rural areas, because in densely-developed areas
        they're often in underground duct banks with other cables, and not marked
        on the surface.

        - check out railroad rights-of-way, since carriers often run their lines in
        these corridors.

        - AT&T often re-uses their old L-carrier (coaxial-cable) rights of way for
        fiber optics, so if you're near one of these, you've made a good start.
        Many of the the coaxial routes were constructed across undeveloped or
        agricultural land, and so tended to run in straight lines between
        destinations rather than following public roads.

        - be on the lookout for "One Call" utility-location markings wherever
        excavation work is being done. Communications lines are marked with orange
        paint, and usually have a company identification. The information you'll
        gather will be piecemeal, but over time you can figure out some routes,
        especially if you take into account nearby telecom facilities like central
        offices.

        Albert

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 16, 2001
          Here's another example of a publicly-accessible, but very imprecise fiber
          network map:

          http://www.telergy.net/about_us/network/

          Albert
        • Paul J Zawada
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2001
            KMI Corporation publishes all sorts of Fiber Optic market data,
            including maps. Like most publicly available maps, they don't
            give you exact placement, but they give more information than
            what's available at most other places. Check out the web page
            at: http://www.kmicorp.com/maps/northamerican.htm Unfortunately
            they are so expensive you may not be able to afford them... I
            think they start at $300 each. (They must have to pay a lot of
            cartographers to walk around the country side looking for fiber.
            :-)

            There is plenty of literature on troubleshooting and procedures.
            If you look on your favorite book-selling web site, you may
            want to narrow your search a little since "fiber optics" will
            encompass a lot of different things. Check out topics like
            SONET, Outside [cable] Plant, Wave Division Multiplexing, etc.

            You may also be able to get subscriptions to trade magazines
            like Lightwave ( http://www.light-wave.com )or Outside Plant
            Magazine ( http://www.ospmag.com/ ).

            Good Luck

            --zawada