More of a Mystery

  • lasertower
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2009
      I was out driving around Fostoria, Ohio and spotted two more sites like West Salem. Most of them dismantled, only the tower standing.

      Anybody have a clue why OBT would have small microwave sites in United Telephone/GTE turf?

      Steve
    • Michael Schwiebert
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 19, 2009
        Can you provide a link to what the West Salem site looked like? I'm guessing that what you saw were the remnants of towers that AT&T used on 'secondary' routes as they were of a different style (at least here in NW Ohio) than the 'primary' route towers.

        Michael Schwiebert
        Perrysburg OH

        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:

        > I was out driving around Fostoria, Ohio and spotted two more sites like West Salem. Most of them dismantled, only the tower standing.
        >
        > Anybody have a clue why OBT would have small microwave sites in United Telephone/GTE turf?
        >
        > Steve

      • lasertower
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwiebert" <michael.schwiebert@...> wrote:

          > Can you provide a link to what the West Salem site looked like? I'm guessing that what you saw were the remnants of towers that AT&T used on 'secondary' routes as they were of a different style (at least here in NW Ohio) than the 'primary' route towers.
          >
          > Michael Schwiebert
          > Perrysburg OH
          >
          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was out driving around Fostoria, Ohio and spotted two more sites like West Salem. Most of them dismantled, only the tower standing.
          > >
          > > Anybody have a clue why OBT would have small microwave sites in United Telephone/GTE turf?
          > >
          > > Steve

        • lasertower
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
            Guyed truss towers with small cinder block shelters at the base of the tower is what I have seen so far.

            No evidence of ks horn mounts on the towers.

            Steve
          • lasertower
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 20, 2009
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwiebert" <michael.schwiebert@...> wrote:

              > Can you provide a link to what the West Salem site looked like? I'm guessing that what you saw were the remnants of towers that AT&T used on 'secondary' routes as they were of a different style (at least here in NW Ohio) than the 'primary' route towers.
              >
              > Michael Schwiebert
              > Perrysburg OH

              40-59-47 / 82-07-34 Ohio Bell

              Steve
            • s82917
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
                Hi Steve

                I have a 1972 map of Ohio Bell routes that I can send to you, let me know if you are interested.

                Terry Michaels

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:

                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwiebert" <michael.schwiebert@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Can you provide a link to what the West Salem site looked like? I'm guessing that what you saw were the remnants of towers that AT&T used on 'secondary' routes as they were of a different style (at least here in NW Ohio) than the 'primary' route towers.
                > >
                > > Michael Schwiebert
                > > Perrysburg OH
                > >

                > 40-59-47 / 82-07-34 Ohio Bell
                >
                > Steve

              • Mike Cowen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
                  Can you also send it to Albert to add to his Long Lines site?

                  Mike