Re: [coldwarcomms] OBT old sites

  • lasertower
    Message 2 of 12 , Jun 15, 2009
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David <wb8foz@...> wrote:

      > What do we know about the usage/capacity/etc?
      >

      > I note many if not all were outside OBT territory...
      >
      > My Medina friend recalls that CO had microwave north at one point...

      I dont have a clue, that is why I'm asking. A first guess was VHF mobile phone, looking at Thompson's antenna array.

      Steve
    • John Thompson
      Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2009
        Anyone know anything about the tower in Mantua Ohio. It is along the turnpike/rt 80 near the rt 44 interchange. About 1/2 mile East of the change. Its there i just cant find it on Google Earth. Used to be a ATT site. Strange looking. Does have the horns you all talk about.Thanks.

      • widebandit
        Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2009
          If you take I-80 exit 193, go south on SR44 under the tnpk, take a left on the SR303 heading east, then left again on Peck Rd heading North, crossing back over I-80, you will see a 190' concrete radio-relay building that was the Schalersville TD2 repeater on the 1949 Ny - Chicago route - the first 34-hop segment of the NY - SF TD2.

          You can see it on the Bing Maps (formerly Windows Live Local) overhead on the left (west) side of Peck Road, but it's hard to spot - look for the teltale shadow casting a bit west of north. There is no birdseye view.

          I don't believe the concrete tower has horns.

          The only other Long-Lines tower I know of in the area is the Edinburg repeater near Ravenna - well south of I-80....WaW...

          Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2009
            My apologies - Schalersville is a type 4A radio-relay building; 147 ft to roof-top....WaW...

            Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2009
              Yep that is the one. Thanks

              ________________________________
              My apologies - Schalersville is a type 4A radio-relay building; 147 ft to roof-top.... WaW...

              > If you take I-80 exit 193, go south on SR44 under the tnpk, take a left on the SR303 heading east, then left again on Peck Rd heading North, crossing back over I-80, you will see a 190' concrete radio-relay building that was the Schalersville TD2 repeater on the 1949 Ny - Chicago route - the first 34-hop segment of the NY - SF TD2.
              >
              > You can see it on the Bing Maps (formerly Windows Live Local) overhead on the left (west) side of Peck Road, but it's hard to spot - look for the teltale shadow casting a bit west of north. There is no birdseye view.
              >
              > I don't believe the concrete tower has horns.
              >
              > The only other Long-Lines tower I know of in the area is the Edinburg repeater near Ravenna - well south of I-80....WaW. ..
              > >
              > > Anyone know anything about the tower in Mantua Ohio. It is along the turnpike/rt 80 near the rt 44 interchange. About 1/2 mile East of the change. Its there i just cant find it on Google Earth. Used to be a ATT site. Strange looking. Does have the horns you all talk about.Thanks.

              > > Do You Yahoo!?
              > > http://mail. yahoo.com

            • Charles Fargis
              Message 7 of 12 , Jun 30, 2009
                For you folks with decent PCs and Google earth
                41.247210 N -81.212379 West
                You can even see the windows. The massive shadow though is the key
                Its at the end of the 6th driveway on the left north of the intersection of
                Peck Road and I-80
                You can see the windows when you rotate the image so the driveway and Peck
                Rd are at 6 oclock and the top of the tower at 12 oclock

                Message 8 of 12 , Jun 30, 2009
                  Shalersville was dehorned right after the divesteture. The frames are still on the roof, but the site was hastly converted to a AMPS cell site, and is now unused. Running the coax up the side of the building in a hurry was a mess. The last time I drove by, the door to the diversity antenna platform was left open.

                  Edinburg is torn down, although the building and tower foundation remains.

                  Steve
                • lasertower
                  Message 9 of 12 , Jun 30, 2009
                    --- I should have mentioned the newer Shalersville #2 across the bridge is a Ohio MAPS site, a Cell site, and a MW relay site.

                    The next one down the turnpike is Richfield, which still has its dishes, and has/had a UHF repeater on it for the turnpike. Sadly the covers were torn off the dishes a while back by vandals. Its a magnet for local teens, as its in the national park, and security has recently been beefed up on it and it was repainted inside, even has the internal lights on at night.

                    Steve
                    Message 10 of 12 , Feb 19, 2012
                      More on Shalersville:

                      http://maxmcarter.com/att_wtn/att_watertown.html