Sort of interesting side item...

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2001
      I was in one of the AT&T tower sites the other day, doing
      a repair on the strobe system, and finally got a chance to
      wander around while in the building.

      Big generator, big transfer switch, big air handler,
      and a wild commode....

      Yep, this commode was interesting. No plumbing at all, just
      wiring. Turns out, you put a paper liner in the bowl, do your
      business, then push a foot pedal, which drops it down, turns on
      a fan, and incinerates the "stuff".

      I got to have one of these for my basement!!!!
    • alafrance
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
        Very interesting - I'd never heard of one at an AT&T site. The unattended
        stations I've seen had only outhouses.

        Here's the manufacturer's web site (I assume it's the brand you saw):

        http://www.incinolet.com/

        Of course, they probably had to make a special design for AT&T, to run on
        -48 volts!

        Albert

        >I was in one of the AT&T tower sites the other day, doing
        >a repair on the strobe system, and finally got a chance to
        >wander around while in the building.
        >
        >Big generator, big transfer switch, big air handler,
        >and a wild commode....
        >
        >Yep, this commode was interesting. No plumbing at all, just
        >wiring. Turns out, you put a paper liner in the bowl, do your
        >business, then push a foot pedal, which drops it down, turns on
        >a fan, and incinerates the "stuff".
        >
        >I got to have one of these for my basement!!!!<
      • Ken Hoehn
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
          You are a hoot, Albert! Toilet runs on plant battery!

          :)

          alafrance wrote:

          Of course, they probably had to make a special design for AT&T, to run on

          > -48 volts!
          >
          > Albert
        • Mike Jacobs
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
            I just saw one of the incinolets at the Unionville repeater station
            which is located about 20 minutes away from me. I didn't have the
            courage to try it out, though.

            Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
            Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
            Penn State University
            State College, PA
          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2001
              alafrance wrote:

              > Very interesting - I'd never heard of one at an AT&T site. The unattended
              > stations I've seen had only outhouses.
              >
              > Here's the manufacturer's web site (I assume it's the brand you saw):

              Yep. Thats the one!

              Most all of the AT&T sites around here have one, the baby bell sites
              are the ones with the outhouses.
            • Paul J Zawada
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
                --- In coldwarcomms@y..., Blake Bowers <bbowers@t...> wrote:

                > alafrance wrote:
                > >
                > > Very interesting - I'd never heard of one at an AT&T site. The
                > > unattended stations I've seen had only outhouses.
                > >
                > > Here's the manufacturer's web site (I assume it's the brand you
                saw):

                > Yep. Thats the one!
                >
                > Most all of the AT&T sites around here have one, the baby bell sites
                > are the ones with the outhouses.

                Not to *really* beat this topic to death...

                Most of the long lines microwave sites that I have visited in
                Indiana and Ohio have outhouses. In fact, the concrete silo near
                Lagrange, IN has a two-seater. What a way to get to know your
                fellow technician! :-) (I can dig up pictures if someone
                _really_ needs to see it...)

                --zawada