Re: AT&T Florida City Troposcatter

  • taskforceleader
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
      Of course there was also Ojus.

      "Ojus was not the absolute "first" location for overseas HF radio at "Miami." The very first was a single circuit to Nassau, Bahamas circa 1936 operated from the rented front porch of the original Miami building of Tropical Radiotelegraph Company somewhere in the Hialeah area of Miami - when that was out in the swamps, of course....from that liaison, AT&T and Tropical grew a symbiotic relation in which TRT ultimately was the landlord and operator of the HF transmitter plant at Ojus, and the landlord of the HF receiving and control office at Fort Lauderdale. These may, in fact, have been the only places nationwide where AT&T rented space from other than a related Bell company -- even more so, had rented employees of another firm operating their equipment as at Ojus HF." (D. Kimberlin)

      PS: Is Don Kimberlin still around? All the email addresses I have for him bounce.

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Sadler <scanchattanooga@...> wrote:

      > I've been doing a bit of research into the (defunct) AT&T troposcatter
      > and HF operations in south Florida - Pennsuco, Ft. Lauderdale, and
      > Florida City. I've managed to find a fair bit of info, mostly location
      > and frequency records, for the various stations from some old FCC
      > CD-ROM databases from 1994, 1996, and 1997. Albert, feel free to add
      > any/all of this to your site:
      >
      > ====
      > Florida City
      >
      > KIQ68: 840.0 MHz - troposcatter to Guanabo, Cuba
      > KIQ69: 880.0 MHz - troposcatter to Guanabo, Cuba
      > KIY64: 2150.0 MHz - troposcatter to Nassau, Bahamas
      > KIY65: 2190.0 MHz - troposcatter to Nassau, Bahamas
      >
      > Florida City is at 47600 Card Sound Road; the tower is now owned by
      > American Tower, their site number 88430. Ground elevation is 1.2 m
      > AMSL, tower height is 77.1 m AGL. FCC ASR is 1030287.
      >
      > Latitude and longitude of Florida City are conflicting:
      > - from FCC licenses: 25-19-31 N, 80-24-16 W
      > - from FCC ASR record: 25-19-32.8 N, 80-24-15.5 W
      >
      > Microwave paths out of Florida City:
      > KIP59:
      > - 3730, 3810: 23 degrees azimuth, vertical polarization, path length
      > and receiver unknown
      > - 3770, 3850, 3930: 354.6 degrees azimuth, horizontal polarization,
      > path length and receiver unknown
      > KJJ88:
      > - 3910, 3990, 4150: 182.99 degrees azimuth, horizontal polarization,
      > 14.014 mile path length, receiver WAH565
      > - 6123.1: 336.52 degrees azimuth, vertical polarization, 11.069 mile
      > path length, receiver KJG68
      >
      > Current non-AT&T tenants:
      > * WMFL-FM
      > * WGES-FM (construction permit)
      > * Nextel (WPOE993, WPPK356)
      > ====
      > For Ft. Lauderdale: (WOM receive site):
      > Radio Service CF / KJA62 (links to KJJ68)
      > Latitude: 26-08-39.5
      > Longitude: 80-11-56.3
      > ====
      > For Pennsuco (WOM transmit site):
      > ASRN 1032485
      > Radio Service MC / WOM
      > Radio Service IT / WPIK666
      > Radio Service IT / KYS544
      > Radio Service CF KJH70
      > Radio Service CF KJM45 (BellSouth)
      > Latitude 25-52-26.2
      > Longitude 80-28-58.8
      > ====
      >
      > --mws / kf4lhp
      > mws@...

    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
        There should probably be some caveats on that line about
        the only places nationwide where AT&T rented space.

        AT&T Did have some tower sites that were on leased land,
        even back to the concrete tower days.

        Don't take your organs to heaven,
        heaven knows we need them down here!

> [...]
        >> - from FCC ASR record: 25-19-32.8 N, 80-24-15.5 W
        >>
        >> Microwave paths out of Florida City:
        >> KIP59:
        >> - 3730, 3810: 23 degrees azimuth, vertical polarization, path length
        >> and receiver unknown
        >> - 3770, 3850, 3930: 354.6 degrees azimuth, horizontal polarization,
        >> path length and receiver unknown
        >> KJJ88:
        >> - 3910, 3990, 4150: 182.99 degrees azimuth, horizontal polarization,
        >> 14.014 mile path length, receiver WAH565
        >> - 6123.1: 336.52 degrees azimuth, vertical polarization, 11.069 mile
        >> path length, receiver KJG68
        >>
        >> Current non-AT&T tenants:
        >> * WMFL-FM
        >> * WGES-FM (construction permit)
        >> * Nextel (WPOE993, WPPK356)
        >> ====
        >> For Ft. Lauderdale: (WOM receive site):
        >> Radio Service CF / KJA62 (links to KJJ68)

      • Blake Bowers
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2009
          People need to bear in mind, this is an OLD list, MANY of the
          sites don't even belong to ATC anymore.

          For some reason ATC does not seem to ever take anything off the
          web.

          Joe Ryan, the person listed as the contact left ATC, and has
          returned, but is not handling this stuff. The quickest way for
          ATC to finally catch on that this valuable information is still
          on their site and available is to flood Joe with calls about
          a 5 year old list. They will start removing stuff then.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2009
            Yaas!, And I noticed that the coordinates for the site in Gaffney, SC show up in Google Earth as "vague" locations in NC! No actual site is shown. I also noticed that several "links" in some of the postings have added spaces in them rendering them as "Error 404" messages, "PAGE NOT FOUND!". Gentlemen, PLEASE check the spelling and grammer on the links you reference. (yeah, like I'm an expert ;-) Yahoo's no "spelling checker" really sucks!)

            Eric

            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

            > People need to bear in mind, this is an OLD list, MANY of the
            > sites don't even belong to ATC anymore.
            >
            > For some reason ATC does not seem to ever take anything off the
            > web.
            >
            ><SNIP>
          • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
              Matthew Sadler wrote:

              > Florida City (you can still the one set of the concrete bases for the
              > Nassau 2 GHz troposcatter antennas):
              > http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=n6mtts88zpnm&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=31244436&encType=1

              Nice view in that map! I don't see the large "high RF field warning" signs that
              was located out at a distance in the swamp in front of the tropo scatter
              antennas. Of course they were probably blown away by Andrew. That hurricane I
              believe is why the Nassau antennas are gone.

              I did some work there on the air/ground Nightwatch equipment in the 70's. I
              remember very well being laughed at by the guys that worked there when I got out
              of the car and was immediately attacked by the bird size mosquitoes. Either the
              guys that worked there had developed a resistance to the blood suckers or they
              had some top secret repellent that wouldn't talk about. And while thinking
              about the guys that worked there, I was very impressed by their technical knowledge.

              Dexter
            • junkmatt2
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                Some photos I took there, several years ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/junkmatt/sets/72157611912044462/ and also a Klystron that was at Pensuco, but I believe came from the troposcatter site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/junkmatt/3152128640/in/set-72157611914617970/
              • lasertower
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                  what are the two grey flagpole looking things either side of the site in the pictures?

                  Does the Cuban side still exist?

                  Steve
                • Pj
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                    How was voice quaility on a tropo link? Any known audio samples laying around?
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                      >How was voice quaility on a tropo link?

                      I talked multiple time over both the Florida City - Cuba link, and also the
                      one from Georgetown Guyana to Trinidad or Grenada.

                      By classical telco standards, the quality was rotten.
                      By current cell phone standards, I suppose it was tolerable.
                    • Mike Cowen
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                        Interesting. Was the quality -always- marginal (adequate?), or were
                        there ever some sweet spots under certain conditions?

                        I was oblivious to this technology until I discovered it here. I
                        gather there was some sort of conductive surface on (in?) the reflector.

                        Mike

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 3, 2009
                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Pj <packy41@...> wrote:

                          > How was voice quaility on a tropo link? Any known audio samples laying around?

                          According to accounts from the various DEW,NARS & other early warning websites voice quality was typically mediocre in the 1950's & 60's & changed by the hour due to extreme weather; with constant tweaking required.By the 70's quad diversity & solid state provided improvements, but always noisy.

                          About 1960 I often worked on a ringdown circuit(GP1049) from CINCLANT to NAS Keflavík(answering "Drum Major")Iceland, which rode on two long tropo hops, ? Canada-Greenland and Dye? Greenland-? Iceland. At best it was very noisy & often barely usable even though a high priority circuit.

                          I'm told the Project Office's tropo was about as good as a TD2 circuit, but these were relatively short haul with overpowered finals.
                        • Charles S. Osborne
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 10, 2009
                            Zooming in on the Florida City troposcatter site on Google Earth I noticed a couple of interesting things. It looks like there's an underground cable trench still visable looping around the southwest side of the site and then heading straight East and into the Ocean in the direction of Grayvik key island.

                            But something else caught my eye across the street to northeast from the tropo site. There's a large circular feature a couple hundred yards off the street surrounding a building. A small Wullenweber? 25°22'21.01"N , 80°25'23.70W off Card Sound Rd., SE of Florida City, Florida. Too big for a VOR. And the multiple rings of concentric poles are gone if it was an HF array at one time. But you can see holes as if there were poles every degree or so. It has an odd wide area near the checkpoint gate halfway to the building. Probably parking for trucks or something.

                            The Google street view camera went by the front gate and captured a picture, and had to specifically edit out the signage on the gate. Everything else is sharp. But the signs were pretty obviously fuzzed on purpose.

                            Charles S. Osborne

                            what are the two grey flagpole looking things either side of the site in the pictures?

                            Does the Cuban side still exist?

                            Steve

                          • Frank H
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 11, 2009
                              Yes, a Navy FRD-10 at NSGA Homestead.

                              Frank

                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Charles S. Osborne" <k4cso@...> wrote:
                              >... There's a large circular feature a couple hundred yards off the street surrounding a building. A small Wullenweber? ...
                            • Matthew Sadler
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 19, 2011
                                Digging up this old topic again, but I'm thinking this is the Bahamas
                                end of the tropo link:

                                -77.433256, 25.078197

                                Has a pair of round tropo dishes pointed in the right direction - at
                                least on the Google Earth photo.

                                --mws / kf4lhp

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 19, 2011
                                  On 10/19/11 7:48 AM, Matthew Sadler wrote:
                                  > Has a pair of round tropo dishes pointed in the right direction - at
                                  > least on the Google Earth photo.

                                  Don't forget the Great Circle Mapper for showing directions on long paths.
                                • Craig Scott
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 26, 2011
                                    #'s don't work, Antarctica or Barents Sea, depending on where you put the (-)...would like to see the dishes tho'

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 26, 2011
                                      This works:

                                      25.078197N  77.433256W

                                      Sure does look like a pair of tropo dishes.

                                      73
                                      Sheldon

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 26, 2011
                                        Ahhh, yes.  They sure do!  Thanks Sheldon!

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 26, 2011
                                          Next time you're cruising down to the Keys, at the south end of the greater Florida City area, head south on SR 997 instead of US1. Its called 'Card Sound Road'.. The tropo station will come up on your right, heading south, some 10-15 miles south. There is a VERY short pull over area on your right, and at this point you'e cruising at about 60-65 MPH, so be prepared to brake - fast! There was a gate last time I was there, allowing you to just squeeze in between the road and the gate. Now overgrown, the big screens are still there. Its an American Tower site now. Worth seeing!

                                          BTW Card Sound Road (FL 997) has an abandones USCG site close to Fla City, on your left, as well as an old Navy site also on your left. Lots of other cool old cold war crap lying here and there!

                                          Tom Scanlan (TV Guy)

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 27, 2011
                                            Florida city tropo has been the subject of several posts here...
                                            Bing:
                                            <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=n6mwgb88zp2k&lvl=19.23237042188621&dir=3.6736777823758357&sty=b&form=LMLTCC>

                                            Google:
                                            <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=25.325565,-80.404317&spn=0.001171,0.002736&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6>
                                            Street view is available but the Old Dixie Highway (Card Sound Road) is very overgrown.

                                            AmericanTower:
                                            <http://www.americantower.com/SiteLocator/SiteBrochure.aspx?lngSiteId=822&Country=>
                                            Tower is Type-G - 100 psf 160 mph wind load.