Wisconsin area.

  • toddm@stu.beloit.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24, 2001
      Hey, is anyone who's into these AUTOVON/western electric sites around here
      in the Wisconsin or Chicago area? I'm on the digest, so please email me
      back directly (toddm@...) if you're interested. I've got a list
      from the FCC database of the lat/long of these towers and was wondering if
      anyone was interested in going on a sort of GPS-based sightseeing tour of them.

      Let me know,

      Matt Todd
    • alafrance
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2001
        Matt,

        I'm replying directly to you and to the list, in case other members are
        interested in this topic.

        I'm not in your area, but I might be able to help. I have an AT&T route
        map from 1970, which shows cables and microwave routes in the Chicago area.
        It also contains a part of Wisconsin: the NW corner is Eau Claire, and the
        SE corner is Racine. I can make a scan of this part of the map if you'd
        like.

        One site you'll probably want to check out is Norway, IL, located SW of
        Chicago. It was a major coaxial-cable and microwave site, and was an early
        AUTOVON switch.

        Also, by way of historical interest, one terminal of AT&T's first
        commercial coaxial-cable route was in Wisconsin, at Stevens Point. The
        other end was in Milwaukee.

        Albert LaFrance

        >Hey, is anyone who's into these AUTOVON/western electric sites around here

        >in the Wisconsin or Chicago area? I'm on the digest, so please email me
        >back directly (toddm@...) if you're interested. I've got a list

        >from the FCC database of the lat/long of these towers and was wondering if

        >anyone was interested in going on a sort of GPS-based sightseeing tour of
        them.

        >Let me know,
        >
        >Matt Todd
      • Ken Hoehn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2001
          Norway was also the region's alarm reporting site for virtually all the towers
          in the region.

          Ken