Re: [coldwarcomms] AT&T Fiber Sabotage in San Jose

  • Paul Zawada
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 14, 2009
      Did anyone else catch the irony in the fact that San Carlos was where
      the Lenkurt Microwave operation was located? Perhaps it was an old
      Lenkurt microwave engineer that has been holding a grudge against
      fiber optic technology all of these years... :-) :-) :-)

      --zawada

      On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM, jamesbburks <jim.burks@...> wrote:
      > San Jose police reported receiving about 10 tips, and San Carlos police confirmed they are examining video surveillance of a major intersection near one of the four locations where AT&T's underground fiber-optic cables were sliced early Thursday morning.
    • james kester
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 15, 2009
        He would have to be mighty old? How much is the reward?

      • hooligan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
          The underground vault the San Carlos sabotage occurred in is I think only
          about a half mile away from where the Lenkurt Microwave factory was.

          As for the suspects, it's pretty damn obvious, if your media source was
          one of the apparently few that were brave enough to mention the
          'coincidence' of the local telco union's dissatisfaction with ongoing labor
          negotiations with the telco & an impending strike.

          The reward is up to $250,000 now.

          In listening to the emergency operations radio comms during the event,
          the couple Verizon techs called to the scene around 5AM first asked the
          police to loan them some handheld radios so they could talk with each other
          while in separate cable vaults. Then they either decided or found out the
          hard way that the VHF walkie-talkies wouldn't provide comms while they were
          down in the manholes. The new request? Satellite phones! The Morgan Hill
          EOC comms person dutifully relayed that request on to the Santa Clara County
          EOC person as should be done, but I don't think either one of them was
          bright enough to realize that the "sat phones" probably wouldn't work too well
          in cable vaults, since they then had a brief conversation about how many
          sat phones they had available. But clearly it didn't dawn on the Verizon
          techs who made the request.

          It seems like it took this event for a lot of the public & media to
          comprehend that a lot of the communications infrastructure the federal gov't
          labels as being "critical infrastructure" needing protection really is
          critical infrastructure that needs protection. The resulting media
          sensationalism & locals freaking out because their internet/phones/credit cards didn't
          work probably took the telco goons who did the sabotage by surprise too.

          Tim

          (mailto:jim.burks@...) > wrote:
          > San Jose police reported receiving about 10 tips, and San Carlos police
          confirmed they are examining video surveillance of a major intersection
          near one of the four locations where AT&T's underground fiber-optic cables
          were sliced early Thursday morning.

          steps!
          (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220572846x1201387511/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
          Aprilfooter427NO62)

        • lasertower
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
            Is the nationwide UHF ATT common channel still in use? Or did they migrate to 800? If it is in use, is it common between operating comapnies? For obvious reasons I'm not going to post the frequency. I have not had the scanner on in a year of two.

            Steve
          • bd6xray
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
              451.325 MHz was formerly a 'Telephone Maintenance Radio Service' only frequency, but is now available to all kinds of industrial/business users, who have repopulated it extensively. AT&T Corp has only one active base license left, KXJ521 in Bedminster NJ, and one mobile license KE5023.

              Al Hajny

              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:

              > Is the nationwide UHF ATT common channel still in use? Or did they migrate to 800? If it is in use, is it common between operating comapnies? For obvious reasons I'm not going to post the frequency. I have not had the scanner on in a year of two.
              >
              > Steve

            • Blake Bowers
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
                TMRS is only barely active anymore.

                There were actually 6 common UHF channels
                licensed nationwide, 451.3000, 3250, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000.

                Also under the same nationwide license was two VHF
                frequencies, 151.985, and 158.340 often used in a repeater
                configuration like the UHF.

                Finally, licensed nationwide was two low band frequencies,
                35.16 and 43.16. The callsign was KE5023, and all were licensed
                as mobile only.

                There was also used in a few locations 451.575 and 451.500,
                although they fell under other licenses.

                KE5023 is still active. Somewhere along the line the special
                condition was dropped - which if I remember correctly was just
                a "play nice" condition, as these frequencies were NOT exclusive
                to AT&T, but eligible to be licensed to any telco. This is back
                when every service had a block of frequencies, not the basic
                free for all that it is now.

                Now, just because its still active with the FCC, does not mean
                it gets used a lot. Most - I would say 99% of the repeaters and
                base stations were shut down, many being RIP'd at tower sites
                that later were sold. Lots of the stations found their way into
                HAM hands. Almost all of AT&T in 2004 were told to ship their
                radios back to Conyers, where they were disposed of. A good
                many portables were kept out in the field, but maintenance has
                been minimal at bast.

                At least two other telco's had very wide coverage system,
                basically coast to coast, MCI, and IXC. I am not sure what
                Sprint or Qwest used. Same frequencies.

                Now, they are mixed use. As an example, in Missouri 451.300 is
                licensed to over 26 companies, only 3 of which are telcos.

                I will have some of the repeaters at the Dayton hamfest if
                anyone really wants one....

                Don't take your organs to heaven,
                heaven knows we need them down here!

                > Is the nationwide UHF ATT common channel still in use? Or did they
                > migrate to 800? If it is in use, is it common between operating comapnies?
                > For obvious reasons I'm not going to post the frequency. I have not had
                > the scanner on in a year of two.
                >
                > Steve

              • Blake Bowers
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
                  But KXJ521 is a license for any location "CONTINENTAL SOUTH OF LINE A WEST
                  OF LINE C US"

                  On a temporary fixed basis. (Temporary meaning up to 1 year). It can cover
                  a whole bunch
                  of sites. 8 frequencies. Lots more than just Bedminster.

                  KE5023 is mobiles, anywhere in the US. 16 frequencies. 6207 units.

                  Don't take your organs to heaven,
                  heaven knows we need them down here!

                  > 451.325 MHz was formerly a 'Telephone Maintenance Radio Service' only
                  > frequency, but is now available to all kinds of industrial/business users,
                  > who have repopulated it extensively. AT&T Corp has only one active base
                  > license left, KXJ521 in Bedminster NJ, and one mobile license KE5023.
                  >
                  > Al Hajny
                  >
                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >> Is the nationwide UHF ATT common channel still in use? Or did they
                  >> migrate to 800? If it is in use, is it common between operating
                  >> comapnies? For obvious reasons I'm not going to post the frequency. I
                  >> have not had the scanner on in a year of two.
                  >>
                  >> Steve

                • Dexter McIntyre W4DEX
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 28, 2009
                    lasertower wrote:

                    > Is the nationwide UHF ATT common channel still in use? Or did they migrate to 800? If it is in use, is it common between operating comapnies? For obvious reasons I'm not going to post the frequency. I have not had the scanner on in a year of two.

                    In the Southeast AT&T replaced the UHF radios with satellite phones from
                    American Mobile Satellite. I was told this was a cost saving move ordered by
                    Dr. Hossein Eslambolchi who had moved into corporate management from Bell Labs.
                    The guy is a brilliant man but personally I think he should have stayed in R&D
                    instead if management.

                    I questioned how this move could possibly save money so I was given some figures
                    on how much it cost to maintain the well working UHF system. The equipment
                    maintenance and routine replacement cost was almost insignificant compared to
                    the cost of the 4 wire facilities to interconnect the repeaters. So I submitted
                    an employee suggestion to replace all the 4 wire circuits with dial up
                    interfaces. Doing so would only add a one time few seconds delay when the alarm
                    center needed to call a mobile. Only a few of the repeaters were used on a
                    regular basis and if needed the connection could have been maintained all day if
                    necessary. The only cost would be the monthly local line plus any long distant
                    charges which mainly would have been in the AT&T network.

                    My suggestion was never acknowledged. When I inquired I was told Dr. Eslambolchi
                    had make the decision to modernize AT&T's mobile maintenance radio system.

                    The cell sat phones were certainly not what the typical cable maintenance guy
                    needed. Being a ham radio nut I easily learned but the cable guys just refused
                    to use them. Within a few years after the sat radios were installed cellular
                    coverage had greatly improved. So cell phones became the primarily mode of
                    mobile communications. I left the company in 1999 and got the pleasure of
                    removing many of the sat phones that was a mistake to start with. And was even
                    paid well to do it :)

                    Dexter
                  • Blake Bowers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                      The sat phones were supposed to be a regional experiment, turns out it
                      was a regional experiment in how to waste money.

                      Like you mention, it became very expensive to run the interconnect. Back
                      in the days of having the microwave network, it was not too expensive, but
                      as the cable and microwave facilities were decommissioned, the easy access
                      to orderwires and interconnect went away also.

                      In the microwave days, it was almost every other tower in a chain would
                      have a UHF radio. Cable routes that were long distances away from
                      microwave towers had Rohn SSV towers installed to hold the UHF antenna,
                      such as Paris and Polo Missouri. Even some cable huts such as Millwood MO,
                      nothing more than an L-carrier hut got the SSV towers just for the TMRS
                      system.

                      Many a site we have purchased had the DB antenna on the tower, the MSF5000
                      in the building, and lots of them have had GE Rangr, Spectra's and even some
                      portables laying around. Even some older Motracs with the DTMF add on
                      head.

                      When in Dayton I will have some of the MSF stations for sale, as well as
                      some
                      other Long Lines stuff.

                    • Ken Bowles
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
                        Blake . . . that solves a mystery for me. I'm familiar with those three
                        locations and I had assumed that the towers had been added after
                        decommissioning . . . now I know the truth.

                        Ken in Union MO

                        On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Blake Bowers <bbowers@...> wrote:

                        > The sat phones were supposed to be a regional experiment, turns out it
                        > was a regional experiment in how to waste money.
                        >
                        > Like you mention, it became very expensive to run the interconnect. Back
                        > in the days of having the microwave network, it was not too expensive, but
                        > as the cable and microwave facilities were decommissioned, the easy access
                        > to orderwires and interconnect went away also.
                        >
                        > In the microwave days, it was almost every other tower in a chain would
                        > have a UHF radio. Cable routes that were long distances away from
                        > microwave towers had Rohn SSV towers installed to hold the UHF antenna,
                        > such as Paris and Polo Missouri. Even some cable huts such as Millwood MO,
                        > nothing more than an L-carrier hut got the SSV towers just for the TMRS
                        > system.
                        >
                        > Many a site we have purchased had the DB antenna on the tower, the MSF5000
                        > in the building, and lots of them have had GE Rangr, Spectra's and even
                        > some
                        > portables laying around. Even some older Motracs with the DTMF add on
                        > head.
                        >
                        > When in Dayton I will have some of the MSF stations for sale, as well as
                        > some
                        > other Long Lines stuff.
                        >
                        > Don't take your organs to heaven,
                        > heaven knows we need them down here!
                        > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

                      • Loyd
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 30, 2009