Horn in Cleveland/Terminal Tower links.

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2009
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2009
        I don't recall a horn on the Terminal Tower at all, but it's been 20 years
        since I lived there, and/or was up at the catwalk....

        (Obviously, whatever WEWS had back then is likely history)

        Except....
        We were on on the 'roof' at the one setback <http://tinyurl.com/cdneqh> and
        I saw this horn pointed out. It was fed with waveguide, except it was
        round....

        It took me a minute to realize that horn was literally one; and the big
        transmitter box feeding it was... the compressor for the siren. There were
        4 sets of them, one head in each direction.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2009
          BTW, the imagery at <http://tinyurl.com/c6gy6x> is amazingly good.

          You can see some kind of dipoles at the catwalk level; and the now-restored
          rope for the flagpole. I've heard that they again hang an Indians pennant
          on game days. Below that are dishes and lots more. If, as I was just told,
          Motorola is no long controlling the building, no telling who knows what is.

          The long-shot Falconcam <http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/news.php> is on the
          NW leg of the building; about where the [BUS] logo is. The nest is on the
          main structure.

          The WCLV antenna is long gone; they moved out east to I-271 & 480 & built a
          massive tower. Then when Mikey at the FCC & his bosses did away with the
          limits on media ownership in an area; the 95.5 license became worth a LOT
          of money [WCLV had staggered along as one of ~4 commercial classical music
          stations in the country..].

          The remaining owner, Bob Conrad, brokered a seven-way musical-chairs
          frequency swap in 2001, and used that money to fund a non-profit to own the
          station. They moved to a transmitter site in Avon OH, but still have
          studios at 271.

          Years ago, one day the WCLV transmitter literally blew up; tube, power
          supply, etc. They frantically ordered parts, and 3+ days later finally got
          it ready to try. When they started in the lowest power mode, the SWR was
          off-scale. They went out to look at the antenna, and there on the catwalk
          was a 151MHz antenna with the tip burned off. The ~4" HELIAX had a matching
          hole in the side..... You guess whoM might have been there installing such...

          They had a splice for the line, but needed wrenches. It was ~1AM on Monday.
          The co-owner [now dead] was a well known Red Cross Disaster Services
          volunteer, and he knew where to get them -- he went to a firehouse and
          borrowed them. They were back up at 6AM.
        • lasertower
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2009
            Horn in question is down on tower city, just peeking over the parapet.

            I did locate the two remaining high dishes topside, on the E_W path. they belong to Norfolk and Southern Railway, as far as I can tell, some dishes in the building must aim out windows after the rebuild. 231 meters is my idea of a long path. I wonder what the height of the receive dishes on the other ends are after all the fresnel zone stuff.

            I will get the lat/long of the tower city path later this week with a handheld GPS.

            Steve
          • Eric
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 9, 2009
              My office is pretty high up in Key Tower so I could probably get some nice
              close up shots if desired...

              -Eric
              --
              www.akaradio.com
              www.er1c.net

              --
              www.akaradio.com
              www.er1c.net

            • Kris Kirby
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 12, 2009
                On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, lasertower wrote:
                > I did locate the two remaining high dishes topside, on the E_W path.
                > they belong to Norfolk and Southern Railway, as far as I can tell,
                > some dishes in the building must aim out windows after the rebuild.
                > 231 meters is my idea of a long path. I wonder what the height of the
                > receive dishes on the other ends are after all the fresnel zone stuff.

                For perspective, when the kids shot 125 miles using WiFi out in the
                Nevada desert, each endpoint was up on a 6,000 ft mountain, with the
                valley (part of Great Basin) between them. Oh, to have two six-thousand
                foot towers and nothing but paper-flat land between them.

                --
                Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
                Disinformation Analyst