Horn in Cleveland/Terminal Tower links.

  • lasertower
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 4:49 PM
      Anybody know what the lone horn on the back roof of the Tower City/Terminal Tower complex in Cleveland is? Shoots down the river valley towards Akron. Its certainly not AT&T, and its been there since I was a kid.

      Also, since they redid the building, and stripped off all the old antennas and dishes, what are the two rebuilt dishes near the top of Terminal Tower that shot nearly east and west along the lakefront? At roughly 680 feet up that must be a heck of a shot. And the fact that they are still there after the massive building rebuild must mean they are important.

      Steve
    • james kester
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 6:45 AM
        well, we put it up, & we put up two at Akron around the same time, but I don't
        know what it was for. 1982 I think each site took  a Saturday & Sunday on different
        weekends. modifications, deck antenna & w/g. 4 men

        Anybody know what the lone horn on the back roof of the Tower City/Terminal Tower complex in Cleveland is? Shoots down the river valley towards Akron. Its certainly not AT&T, and its been there since I was a kid.

        Also, since they redid the building, and stripped off all the old antennas and dishes, what are the two rebuilt dishes near the top of Terminal Tower that shot nearly east and west along the lakefront? At roughly 680 feet up that must be a heck of a shot. And the fact that they are still there after the massive building rebuild must mean they are important.

        Steve

      • s82917
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7 6:19 PM
          Steve:

          If you can post the exact latitude/longitude I can look it up, I have FCC microwave records going back to the '60s.

          Terry

          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "lasertower" <osr@...> wrote:

          > Anybody know what the lone horn on the back roof of the Tower City/Terminal Tower complex in Cleveland is? Shoots down the river valley towards Akron. Its certainly not AT&T, and its been there since I was a kid.
          >
          > Also, since they redid the building, and stripped off all the old antennas and dishes, what are the two rebuilt dishes near the top of Terminal Tower that shot nearly east and west along the lakefront? At roughly 680 feet up that must be a heck of a shot. And the fact that they are still there after the massive building rebuild must mean they are important.
          >
          > Steve

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7 7:10 PM
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7 7:30 PM
              I don't recall a horn on the Terminal Tower at all, but it's been 20 years
              since I lived there, and/or was up at the catwalk....

              (Obviously, whatever WEWS had back then is likely history)

              Except....
              We were on on the 'roof' at the one setback <http://tinyurl.com/cdneqh> and
              I saw this horn pointed out. It was fed with waveguide, except it was
              round....

              It took me a minute to realize that horn was literally one; and the big
              transmitter box feeding it was... the compressor for the siren. There were
              4 sets of them, one head in each direction.
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8 10:48 AM
                BTW, the imagery at <http://tinyurl.com/c6gy6x> is amazingly good.

                You can see some kind of dipoles at the catwalk level; and the now-restored
                rope for the flagpole. I've heard that they again hang an Indians pennant
                on game days. Below that are dishes and lots more. If, as I was just told,
                Motorola is no long controlling the building, no telling who knows what is.

                The long-shot Falconcam <http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/news.php> is on the
                NW leg of the building; about where the [BUS] logo is. The nest is on the
                main structure.

                The WCLV antenna is long gone; they moved out east to I-271 & 480 & built a
                massive tower. Then when Mikey at the FCC & his bosses did away with the
                limits on media ownership in an area; the 95.5 license became worth a LOT
                of money [WCLV had staggered along as one of ~4 commercial classical music
                stations in the country..].

                The remaining owner, Bob Conrad, brokered a seven-way musical-chairs
                frequency swap in 2001, and used that money to fund a non-profit to own the
                station. They moved to a transmitter site in Avon OH, but still have
                studios at 271.

                Years ago, one day the WCLV transmitter literally blew up; tube, power
                supply, etc. They frantically ordered parts, and 3+ days later finally got
                it ready to try. When they started in the lowest power mode, the SWR was
                off-scale. They went out to look at the antenna, and there on the catwalk
                was a 151MHz antenna with the tip burned off. The ~4" HELIAX had a matching
                hole in the side..... You guess whoM might have been there installing such...

                They had a splice for the line, but needed wrenches. It was ~1AM on Monday.
                The co-owner [now dead] was a well known Red Cross Disaster Services
                volunteer, and he knew where to get them -- he went to a firehouse and
                borrowed them. They were back up at 6AM.
              • lasertower
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8 4:42 PM
                  Horn in question is down on tower city, just peeking over the parapet.

                  I did locate the two remaining high dishes topside, on the E_W path. they belong to Norfolk and Southern Railway, as far as I can tell, some dishes in the building must aim out windows after the rebuild. 231 meters is my idea of a long path. I wonder what the height of the receive dishes on the other ends are after all the fresnel zone stuff.

                  I will get the lat/long of the tower city path later this week with a handheld GPS.

                  Steve
                • Eric
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 9 7:33 AM
                    My office is pretty high up in Key Tower so I could probably get some nice
                    close up shots if desired...

                    -Eric
                    --
                    www.akaradio.com
                    www.er1c.net

                    --
                    www.akaradio.com
                    www.er1c.net

                  • Kris Kirby
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 12 10:02 PM
                      On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, lasertower wrote:
                      > I did locate the two remaining high dishes topside, on the E_W path.
                      > they belong to Norfolk and Southern Railway, as far as I can tell,
                      > some dishes in the building must aim out windows after the rebuild.
                      > 231 meters is my idea of a long path. I wonder what the height of the
                      > receive dishes on the other ends are after all the fresnel zone stuff.

                      For perspective, when the kids shot 125 miles using WiFi out in the
                      Nevada desert, each endpoint was up on a 6,000 ft mountain, with the
                      valley (part of Great Basin) between them. Oh, to have two six-thousand
                      foot towers and nothing but paper-flat land between them.

                      --
                      Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
                      Disinformation Analyst