Project Magnet

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16 11:49 AM
      First a Canadian investigation into magnetic fields & Bermuda Triangle UFO theories in the late 1940's; in the early 1950's the US Navy initiated a scientific project with this name to map the world's magnetic fields, using red tailed(& sometimes other area's of the fuselage)aircraft.I recall seeing some red C-54's & NC-121's in the late 1950's,labeled "Project Magnet"; P-3 Orions were used in later years.

      While there was a lot of scientific magnetic data published over the years many believe the impetus for this project was developing and improving MAD(magnetic anomaly detection)capability for ASW(anti sub warfare).I suspect some of those missions flying near unfriendly territory were also checking out electromagnetic radiation as well as magnetic fields.

      Google will yield many sites on this project, including the conspiracy theories.
    • David Josephson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17 12:02 PM
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@...> wrote:

        1950's,labeled "Project Magnet"; P-3 Orions were used in later years.

        > While there was a lot of scientific magnetic data published over the years many believe the impetus for this project was developing and improving MAD(magnetic anomaly detection)capability for ASW(anti sub warfare).I suspect some of those missions flying near unfriendly territory were also checking out electromagnetic radiation as well as magnetic fields.

        While improvements in MAD capability (where a submarine was creating the magnetic anomaly) were certainly of interest, I think that the early focus of the airborne branch of Project MAGNET was probably global magnetic mapping to determine magnetic interactions with the ionosphere, and regional trends caused by subsurface geology. Then it became possible to map (with towed marine magnetometers) the finer detail of sea mounts and other deep ocean geologic structures in which submarines could hide, work which continued through the late 1980's at least. ASW magnetometry requires very low altitude flight and very fast response time; Project MAGNET used flights above 10,000 ft and magnetometers optimized for low noise at low frequencies. I have one of the AN/ASQ-10 fluxgate magnetometer heads that (I was told) was used in this survey, unfortunately not the metastable helium AN/ASQ-81 scalar magnetometer that was towed behind the aircraft on a cable. Such magnetometers and the various others used in Project MAGNET have a useful response from DC (or near DC) to a few hundred Hz at most.
      • Glenn Laser
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17 5:26 PM
          I do not know if the information is available, as allot has been not seen for a long time.

          I worked on the NASA, MSFN in the 1966 to 1972 era. One thing I remember is in a news letter or similar publication that was sent to all envolved. It showed the Tracking Ship Vanguard going into the so called Bermuda Triangle and a definite depression in that area that the ship traveled. This really surprised me and in my mind said "yes their is something strange going on their.

          MSFN = Manned Space Flight Network

          Just a comment

        • David Josephson
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18 8:40 AM

            The main Project MAGNET dataset is available for download at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/proj_mag.shtml -- the company listed as providing the proton precession (scalar) magnetometer is where I was working 1981-91. Of course there was lots of other data collected and when you have an aircraft as big as a P3, or a ship as big as the NOAA/NRL research vessels, no one needs to know what other sensors are also deployed.
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18 8:58 AM
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "David Josephson" <david@...> wrote:

              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@> wrote:
              > >
              > 1950's,labeled "Project Magnet"; P-3 Orions were used in later years.
              > >
              > > While there was a lot of scientific magnetic data published over the years many believe the impetus for this project was developing and improving MAD(magnetic anomaly detection)capability for ASW(anti sub warfare).I suspect some of those missions flying near unfriendly territory were also checking out electromagnetic radiation as well as magnetic fields.
              > >

              > While improvements in MAD capability (where a submarine was creating the magnetic anomaly) were certainly of interest, I think that the early focus of the airborne branch of Project MAGNET was probably global magnetic mapping to determine magnetic interactions with the ionosphere, and regional trends caused by subsurface geology. Then it became possible to map (with towed marine magnetometers) the finer detail of sea mounts and other deep ocean geologic structures in which submarines could hide, work which continued through the late 1980's at least. ASW magnetometry requires very low altitude flight and very fast response time; Project MAGNET used flights above 10,000 ft and magnetometers optimized for low noise at low frequencies. I have one of the AN/ASQ-10 fluxgate magnetometer heads that (I was told) was used in this survey, unfortunately not the metastable helium AN/ASQ-81 scalar magnetometer that was towed behind the aircraft on a cable. Such magnetometers and the various others used in Project MAGNET have a useful response from DC (or near DC) to a few hundred Hz at most.

              The AN/ASQ-10(I think TI made this as well as the 81)was used in the S2F & P3 ASW a/c at very low altitudes & probably not usable in the high altitude flights. I've spent a few hours as a MADman put-put'ing along at 50' over the ocean in a S2F; one earned their flight pay in these hairy missions; real "white Knuckle" flights as SOP required the pilot's right hand on the throttles at all times & the co-pilots left hand on pilots right hand backing him up if he fainted,etc, and trust me, they squeezed it.
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18 9:07 AM
                > The main Project MAGNET dataset is available for download at http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/proj_mag.shtml -- the company listed as providing the proton precession (scalar) magnetometer is where I was working 1981-91. Of course there was lots of other data collected and when you have an aircraft as big as a P3, or a ship as big as the NOAA/NRL research vessels, no one needs to know what other sensors are also deployed.

                I'd bet there was a APR-9 and/or other ECM/ELINT gear on some flights; for scientific research of course.