Re: [coldwarcomms] Digest Number 3012

  • Doug Humphrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2009

      > 2c. Re: Cellular at Pentagon, White House, OEB etc
      > Posted by: "Moran, Dick" Dick.Moran@... basecom70
      > Date: Mon Mar 2, 2009 5:43 pm ((PST))
      >
      > I lived near Ft Meade while NSA was building its two new black box
      > buildings. During the construction and before the black glass exterior
      > was installed you could see copper screen covering the whole building.
      > Heard once that it was cheaper to Tempest proof the building as
      > opposed
      > to each piece of equipment inside.

      I can verify this - we used to refer to it as the "copper clad
      tempest tested
      building" although the tempest (opps TEMPEST, sorry) testing was never
      done on a "whole building" basis. That would have been fun to watch ;-)
      Helicopters in your TEMPEST test plan anyone? yow! So calling the
      building TEMPEST is certainly technically incorrect - but there is a
      good amount of attenuation achieved, and that will make SCIF space
      inside the (even if imperfect) faraday cage much more effective.

      New construction made this possible - Building 1 and other "legacy"
      buildings could never be modified to that level.

      [And then there is the Colony 7 - the exact opposite of "TEMPEST" ;-) ]
      http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1540790

      One of the reasons that there are few buildings built with TEMPEST
      type shielding integral to the building are that maintaining it,
      testing it,
      fixing it, repairing corrosion (which is a huge issue) is very hard if
      it is
      part of the building - but having the building be able to provide some
      general attenuation is always a good thing.

      doug
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2009
        Somewhat, maybe completely, off-topic, I was in a band that traveled
        from KC to DC in 1976 for a Bicentennial appearance at the Capitol and
        White House. The Colony 7 was our "home base" for the stay. That was a
        long ride on a Trailways bus. If I only knew then what I know now....

        Bill
        Kansas City, KS