RE: [coldwarcomms] Cellular at Pentagon, White House, OEB etc

  • John Young
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
      NSA produced a secure personal communication device for
      the military and others which has been commercialized:

      http://www.nsa.gov/ia/news/sme-ped.shtml

      Obama has been reported as getting one of these especially
      rigged for him and his cleared communicants who need
      them as well.

      It uses encryption but is also able to operate from within
      shielded environments. How it does that has not been made
      public.

      Presumable it operates outside the range of shielding standards
      on a spectrum not accessible to unclassified means.

      Whether the device includes a tracking capacity as well as
      a panic button is not clear.

      As an aside:

      Comms have to get into and out of shielded enclosures
      and they do. Shielded cabling connected to outside
      transmitters -- wired (metal or glass) or wireless -- usually.

      TEMPEST protection has always been breachable with
      appropriate equipment. Certainly after TEMPEST standards
      were widely publicized in the 1990s the means to breach
      those standards have evolved. Several technologies for
      this have been hinted at but not declassified.

      What is not known are the others levels of protection that are
      not readily breachable. But then no security pro ever believes a
      technology is not breachable -- only deluded fools believe that.
      Degrees of protection, never absolute. The better it is, the more
      it costs, isn't that a surprise. How to telli the difference between
      the good stuff and snake oil is deliberately obscured, in
      accord with The Art of War.

      What is standard tradecraft is the notion that a system is totally
      secure in order to promote its usage and then be able to get into
      more transmissions. Public encryption is such a ploy, not
      to say the Internet itself, following the deceptive tradition
      of early forms of communication. Preaching to the choir
      of coldwarcomms.

      Secrecy is a matter of faith, blind most often. And to challenge
      its benefits is to provoke a frenzy of patriotic (commercial
      interest) fervor, as required by the beneficiaries of NDAs
      and sec clearances.

      Hoot.
    • Box SisteenHundred
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
        I don't know how it works in the WhiteHouse, but when I was
        in Law Enforcement, our city had/has some underground locations,
        underground parking garages and tunnels.

        In those areas, small repeater antennas were mounted on each level
        that allowed our 1980's era HT's to hear and get out from areas that
        had been previously unreachable.

        Bill

      • Rod Lannon
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
          Not all areas are considered secure areas and
          thus are not RF shielded. To make the entire
          Pentagon, OEB, and WH RF shielded would be
          tremendously expensive.

          Areas that are not shielded, but hold classified
          meetings, have strict guidelines as to what one may take
          into said rooms or meeting places. In some cases
          nothing is allowed inside, except for the person
          and their clothing. Which is checked before
          entry for a variety of items.

          Rod
        • Pj
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
            The same device, or one similar can been seen on the Air Force One special(s?) that were on NGC HD not too long ago on GWB's desk a few times.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
              I lived near Ft Meade while NSA was building its two new black box
              buildings. During the construction and before the black glass exterior
              was installed you could see copper screen covering the whole building.
              Heard once that it was cheaper to Tempest proof the building as opposed
              to each piece of equipment inside.

              Not all areas are considered secure areas and
              thus are not RF shielded. To make the entire
              Pentagon, OEB, and WH RF shielded would be
              tremendously expensive.

              Areas that are not shielded, but hold classified
              meetings, have strict guidelines as to what one may take
              into said rooms or meeting places. In some cases
              nothing is allowed inside, except for the person
              and their clothing. Which is checked before
              entry for a variety of items.

              Rod

              This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may also be privileged, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else; please notify the FileTek Security Administrators [secureIT@...] immediately and destroy this email and any copies of it. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of FileTek, Inc. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. FileTek, Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                FWIW: I've heard that POTUS is carrying... a Blackberry. (Not a SMEPED. He
                did not like them.)

                I would assume, with good reason, that it's data-only; the mike/earpiece
                having been rendered inoperative.
              • B
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                  He now has a reprogeammed palm computer.

                  The Feds have a new encrypted palm brand device that works like a blackberry

                  Not too hard to get a similar tech for yourself. The iPhone supports VPN (virtual private networking and has AES encryption hard wired into the machine.

                  For some freeware there is a program out that will encrypt a file 3 ways meaning encrypted by one way then that is encrypted by another then that is encrypted by a third method.

                  Now I just got to find a program that turns my computer and phone modem into a stu unit that can connect over a regular line.

                  Sent from my iPhone