Re: Canada Transcontinental MW

  • s82917
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      The equipment used was almost certainly TD-2. I have a 1957 map of
      TD-2 routes that shows the trans-Canada route going (at that time) as
      far West as Winnipeg, also the narration at the link below mentions
      the trans-Canada microwave system could carry 2400 voice circuits plus
      2 TV programs (four TD-2 channels carrying 600 circuits per channel
      plus a TD-2 video channel each direction, plus a protection channel,
      which was the capability of TD-2 at that time). The narrator showed
      two models of self supported towers with KS type horns on them, which
      is typical of a TD-2 route.

      A few years ago I was trying to find some vintage, vacuum tube type
      TD-2 components, at that time I spoke with several people at Bell
      Canada who confirmed that there was still some TD-2 equipment retired
      in place in their network. I seem to remember someone telling me that
      Bell Canada used Northern Telecom as their supplier, who had
      manufactured the TD-2 equipment they were using to the same designs
      that Western Electric used, making it functionally equivalent.

      Terry

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s82917" <s82917@...> wrote:

        > The equipment used was almost certainly TD-2. I have a 1957 map of
        > TD-2 routes that shows the trans-Canada route going (at that time)
        as
        > far West as Winnipeg, also the narration at the link below mentions
        > the trans-Canada microwave system could carry 2400 voice circuits
        plus
        > 2 TV programs (four TD-2 channels carrying 600 circuits per channel
        > plus a TD-2 video channel each direction, plus a protection channel,
        > which was the capability of TD-2 at that time). The narrator showed
        > two models of self supported towers with KS type horns on them,
        which
        > is typical of a TD-2 route.
        >
        > A few years ago I was trying to find some vintage, vacuum tube type
        > TD-2 components, at that time I spoke with several people at Bell
        > Canada who confirmed that there was still some TD-2 equipment
        retired
        > in place in their network. I seem to remember someone telling me
        that
        > Bell Canada used Northern Telecom as their supplier, who had
        > manufactured the TD-2 equipment they were using to the same designs
        > that Western Electric used, making it functionally equivalent.
        >
        > Terry

        OK thanks, I knew there was a lota TD2 back then on the various Air
        Defense lines in Canada but these were from WeCo under defense
        contracts. I wonder if Nortel made them under license or a clone
        (assuming no patent infringements)like I've heard was done in some
        other less friendly countries.