Canada Transcontinental MW

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      This was the longest MW route in the world at that time,1958; anyone
      know if any or all of it was TD2? So far I can't find any details on
      the equipment used on the route at that time.

      http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertainment/media/topics/1631-11238/
    • s82917
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
        The equipment used was almost certainly TD-2. I have a 1957 map of
        TD-2 routes that shows the trans-Canada route going (at that time) as
        far West as Winnipeg, also the narration at the link below mentions
        the trans-Canada microwave system could carry 2400 voice circuits plus
        2 TV programs (four TD-2 channels carrying 600 circuits per channel
        plus a TD-2 video channel each direction, plus a protection channel,
        which was the capability of TD-2 at that time). The narrator showed
        two models of self supported towers with KS type horns on them, which
        is typical of a TD-2 route.

        A few years ago I was trying to find some vintage, vacuum tube type
        TD-2 components, at that time I spoke with several people at Bell
        Canada who confirmed that there was still some TD-2 equipment retired
        in place in their network. I seem to remember someone telling me that
        Bell Canada used Northern Telecom as their supplier, who had
        manufactured the TD-2 equipment they were using to the same designs
        that Western Electric used, making it functionally equivalent.

        Terry

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s82917" <s82917@...> wrote:

          > The equipment used was almost certainly TD-2. I have a 1957 map of
          > TD-2 routes that shows the trans-Canada route going (at that time)
          as
          > far West as Winnipeg, also the narration at the link below mentions
          > the trans-Canada microwave system could carry 2400 voice circuits
          plus
          > 2 TV programs (four TD-2 channels carrying 600 circuits per channel
          > plus a TD-2 video channel each direction, plus a protection channel,
          > which was the capability of TD-2 at that time). The narrator showed
          > two models of self supported towers with KS type horns on them,
          which
          > is typical of a TD-2 route.
          >
          > A few years ago I was trying to find some vintage, vacuum tube type
          > TD-2 components, at that time I spoke with several people at Bell
          > Canada who confirmed that there was still some TD-2 equipment
          retired
          > in place in their network. I seem to remember someone telling me
          that
          > Bell Canada used Northern Telecom as their supplier, who had
          > manufactured the TD-2 equipment they were using to the same designs
          > that Western Electric used, making it functionally equivalent.
          >
          > Terry

          OK thanks, I knew there was a lota TD2 back then on the various Air
          Defense lines in Canada but these were from WeCo under defense
          contracts. I wonder if Nortel made them under license or a clone
          (assuming no patent infringements)like I've heard was done in some
          other less friendly countries.