Cellular at Pentagon, White House, OEB etc

  • lasertower
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
      Ok, since I assume most seats of power are shielded (Well, at least I
      hope they are!) If your a VIP or minion thereof, how do you get your
      cell or blackberry to work at work? Do the cellular companies have
      some sort of leaky coax or microsites in the building, or do
      phones/non governmental pagers just not work?

      Steve Roberts
    • Moran, Dick
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hi Steve, with all of the news about President Obama wanting to stay
        connected after becoming president and all the hoops the government went
        through I would say that the upper level guys do not have the standard
        stuff we have. In most cases they have somebody near with a secure phone
        and when they need to talk to somebody then they get connected over
        special lines. That is one of the problems Obama was trying to avoid. He
        did not want to get closed off inside the bubble. I think that is good
        that he wants to stay connected with the real world. The problem comes
        when you try and secure his standard hardware that he is used to
        carrying. He could be tracked carrying a standard cell phone and even
        worse he may get a call from a telemarketer....

        Obama did get a special PDA. I would like to see it.

        Dick

        Ok, since I assume most seats of power are shielded (Well, at least I
        hope they are!) If your a VIP or minion thereof, how do you get your
        cell or blackberry to work at work? Do the cellular companies have
        some sort of leaky coax or microsites in the building, or do
        phones/non governmental pagers just not work?

        Steve Roberts

        This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may also be privileged, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else; please notify the FileTek Security Administrators [secureIT@...] immediately and destroy this email and any copies of it. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of FileTek, Inc. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. FileTek, Inc. accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

      • Mike Cowen
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
          If I were to venture a guess, I think Steve's question was more along
          the lines of how do you get a specific RF signal inside (or out of)
          an RF shielded facility. Are the VIP offices at the Pentagon, White
          House, OEB, etc. --routinely-- RF shielded in some way (i.e. Tempest,
          or similar), and if so, how would (could?) a cell phone or Blackberry
          operate in that environment? The secure facilities I know of
          intentionally block those signals.

          RF shielding aside, how does the President's Blackberry work wherever
          he goes? My understanding is President Obama's Blackberry doesn't
          have special hardware, but does have some sort of "extra secure"
          software in it (subject to correction). As we all know, encryption
          doesn't work unless both ends have compatible gear. Was Blackberry
          able to positively roll out "extra secure" software to its entire
          network since the election, or does the Presidential traffic get
          routed through a secure codec somewhere else? Somehow, it has to
          work with the rest of the world. A fascinating question...

          Mike

          At 09:26 AM 3/2/2009, you wrote:

          >Hi Steve, with all of the news about President Obama wanting to stay
          >connected after becoming president and all the hoops the government went
          >through I would say that the upper level guys do not have the standard
          >stuff we have. In most cases they have somebody near with a secure phone
          >and when they need to talk to somebody then they get connected over
          >special lines. That is one of the problems Obama was trying to avoid. He
          >did not want to get closed off inside the bubble. I think that is good
          >that he wants to stay connected with the real world. The problem comes
          >when you try and secure his standard hardware that he is used to
          >carrying. He could be tracked carrying a standard cell phone and even
          >worse he may get a call from a telemarketer....
          >
          >Obama did get a special PDA. I would like to see it.
          >
          >Dick

        • John Young
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
            NSA produced a secure personal communication device for
            the military and others which has been commercialized:

            http://www.nsa.gov/ia/news/sme-ped.shtml

            Obama has been reported as getting one of these especially
            rigged for him and his cleared communicants who need
            them as well.

            It uses encryption but is also able to operate from within
            shielded environments. How it does that has not been made
            public.

            Presumable it operates outside the range of shielding standards
            on a spectrum not accessible to unclassified means.

            Whether the device includes a tracking capacity as well as
            a panic button is not clear.

            As an aside:

            Comms have to get into and out of shielded enclosures
            and they do. Shielded cabling connected to outside
            transmitters -- wired (metal or glass) or wireless -- usually.

            TEMPEST protection has always been breachable with
            appropriate equipment. Certainly after TEMPEST standards
            were widely publicized in the 1990s the means to breach
            those standards have evolved. Several technologies for
            this have been hinted at but not declassified.

            What is not known are the others levels of protection that are
            not readily breachable. But then no security pro ever believes a
            technology is not breachable -- only deluded fools believe that.
            Degrees of protection, never absolute. The better it is, the more
            it costs, isn't that a surprise. How to telli the difference between
            the good stuff and snake oil is deliberately obscured, in
            accord with The Art of War.

            What is standard tradecraft is the notion that a system is totally
            secure in order to promote its usage and then be able to get into
            more transmissions. Public encryption is such a ploy, not
            to say the Internet itself, following the deceptive tradition
            of early forms of communication. Preaching to the choir
            of coldwarcomms.

            Secrecy is a matter of faith, blind most often. And to challenge
            its benefits is to provoke a frenzy of patriotic (commercial
            interest) fervor, as required by the beneficiaries of NDAs
            and sec clearances.

            Hoot.
          • Box SisteenHundred
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
              I don't know how it works in the WhiteHouse, but when I was
              in Law Enforcement, our city had/has some underground locations,
              underground parking garages and tunnels.

              In those areas, small repeater antennas were mounted on each level
              that allowed our 1980's era HT's to hear and get out from areas that
              had been previously unreachable.

              Bill

            • Rod Lannon
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                Not all areas are considered secure areas and
                thus are not RF shielded. To make the entire
                Pentagon, OEB, and WH RF shielded would be
                tremendously expensive.

                Areas that are not shielded, but hold classified
                meetings, have strict guidelines as to what one may take
                into said rooms or meeting places. In some cases
                nothing is allowed inside, except for the person
                and their clothing. Which is checked before
                entry for a variety of items.

                Rod
              • Pj
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                  The same device, or one similar can been seen on the Air Force One special(s?) that were on NGC HD not too long ago on GWB's desk a few times.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                    I lived near Ft Meade while NSA was building its two new black box
                    buildings. During the construction and before the black glass exterior
                    was installed you could see copper screen covering the whole building.
                    Heard once that it was cheaper to Tempest proof the building as opposed
                    to each piece of equipment inside.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                      FWIW: I've heard that POTUS is carrying... a Blackberry. (Not a SMEPED. He
                      did not like them.)

                      I would assume, with good reason, that it's data-only; the mike/earpiece
                      having been rendered inoperative.
                    • B
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                        He now has a reprogeammed palm computer.

                        The Feds have a new encrypted palm brand device that works like a blackberry

                        Not too hard to get a similar tech for yourself. The iPhone supports VPN (virtual private networking and has AES encryption hard wired into the machine.

                        For some freeware there is a program out that will encrypt a file 3 ways meaning encrypted by one way then that is encrypted by another then that is encrypted by a third method.

                        Now I just got to find a program that turns my computer and phone modem into a stu unit that can connect over a regular line.

                        Sent from my iPhone